Greek debit card

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Doris

Greek debit card

Postby Doris » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:49 pm

Has anyone successfully used their Greek debit card in a U.K. Supermarket? Or any of the larger chains, i.e. Marks & Spencer?

Kilkis

Re: Greek debit card

Postby Kilkis » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:43 pm

I've not used a debit card in the UK but I have used an Alpha Bank Mastercard one in France to pay for supermarket purchases with no problem so it does work abroad. I think capital controls impose some daily limits on foreign transactions. I can't remember what the limits are but a €167 payment was OK. Since it is a Euro card I avoid using it for Sterling transactions because of charges.

It would be best to check with your local Greek bank branch in case they need to enable foreign transactions. Sometimes it helps if they know when you are going to be using it abroad otherwise they might stop the card if they think a transaction is suspicious. I used to notify my UK credit card company when I would be using it away from Greece but they have stopped that reporting now.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:03 pm

Last year I asked at Piraeus bank if I could use my credit and debit card when on holiday outside Greece. At that time I was told I could withdraw cash at ATMs on the same basis as here and spend up to €600 daily in shops, restaurants, hotels etc., and I could request a higher limit if required.
More recently I used my debit card for an on-line purchase from a supplier outside Greece. I don't know but that may depend on how much money has been transferred into the bank from outside Greece - i.e. under the same rules as withdrawing cash here in excess of the two-weekly limit.

celt0

Postby celt0 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:06 pm

I can confirm what Fillipos has posted. I have withdrawn cash from an UK ATM using my Piraeus debit card on occasion with no problem. Most recently about 6 weeks ago.
Whatdoesthebigbaratthebottomofthekeyboarddo?

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:17 am

Yes I've used my Greek Eurobank debit card in M & S in the UK earlier this year, with no problem.

Return to “General Discussion & News”