postal service

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
garyw

postal service

Postby garyw » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:44 pm

we are moving to crete just a query how long do letters generally take to get from Greece to UK and vice versa
?
thanks
Gary

Kilkis

Re: postal service

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:05 pm

For letters, about 1 week from the UK to Greece and usually a bit less between Greece and the UK. I think it depends on which day you post them from Greece. Perhaps posting on a Wednesday or even a Thursday they might get to the UK on a Monday. Providing they clear Greece by the weekend the postal service in the UK works through at least some of the weekend while it stops completely on Saturday and Sunday here as far as I can see.

Parcels can be a bit longer depending on how they are routed. Cheaper services tend to go overland through Europe so can take longer than letters. I usually allow a couple of weeks before I start wondering what has happened.

Warwick

PS In Chania and the post offices around Chania you need to post the letter before 12 noon for it to start on its journey that day. If you post it after noon it's equivalent to posting it the next day. I have no idea if that applies to other areas. Also all post seems to come on and off the island through Heraklion now so I guess it might travel a bit quicker to/from places close to Heraklion compared to the west and east ends.

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:55 pm

Over the years living here, we have found that the service from here in Chania to the UK is quicker than the UK return post on average and as Warwick has said post before 12 o'clock and it usually takes one to two day depending on the delivery service at the UK end... :)
Dave H

altohb

Postby altohb » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:11 pm

That matches what we've found in Sitia - although I've never tested how late in the day one can "get away" with posting, and we always post at the main post office. 2-3 days to the UK is the norm in the summer; slightly longer in the winter. Incoming mail takes about a week for letters/cards.

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:49 pm

Have to say I was impressed by the postal service whilst I was out earlier this year. Having ordered items from UK online, I suddenly realised I had transposed my post box number. I was told by the company the items had been despatched and it was too late to amend the address. I resigned myself to doing without them!

Lo and behold, three weeks later the order appeared in my post box despite the wrong details. The postal service in Rethymnon gets ten out of ten for effort as far as I am concerned.

Kathleen

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:07 am

In villages in Crete you would probably have got it if you had not put any post box number on the address, Kathleen. I haven't tried it but I reckon there is a good chance that if you put your name, Greece and your post code you would probably get it. It might even work if you put your name followed by GR and your post code. Basically the post code identifies the post office that serves the area where you live and the postman in that office knows where to put your mail whether that is in a nearby kafeneion, a post box or a box outside your house.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:58 am

Kilkis wrote:In villages in Crete you would probably have got it if you had not put any post box number on the address, Kathleen. I haven't tried it but I reckon there is a good chance that if you put your name, Greece and your post code you would probably get it. It might even work if you put your name followed by GR and your post code. Basically the post code identifies the post office that serves the area where you live and the postman in that office knows where to put your mail whether that is in a nearby kafeneion, a post box or a box outside your house.

Warwick

Spot on again Warwick. Several years ago now, when we still had daily door-to-door deliveries, friends sent a pc from the UK addressed to Anna and Bob Scott, 73008 Greece and recorded the date of posting. It arrived in our letter box 3 days later!

Since then we have lost the daily deliveries, lost the door-to-door service and now have twice-weekly deliveries to the minimarket in KH. That may be about to change now as rumour has it, unless ELTA stump up some cash for rent, the franchise holder in Vamos will have to close, and our mail will only get as far as Vrysses. Heaven only know what will happen then!

In general you are right about posting times; we post before 12 and it leaves the PO just about 1pm. Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

garyw

Postby garyw » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:51 am

thanks for all the replies, very helpful
Gary

raw

Postby raw » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:26 pm

I had a letter sent to me but as we are in a rental property currently and are considering if we wish to move somewhere else on the island I had it sent to the PO at Sitia. The were happy to receive the letter on my behalf and I had 15 days in which to go and collect it. Now that is super service. :)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:27 pm

You can certainly include "Poste Restante" as the first line of the address and the post office should keep it for you. I think some items they will keep for much longer than 15 days but some they won't, e.g. if it needs a signature, unless they know when you intend to collect it. If they don't know where to deliver it they might keep it anyway. We first took possession of our house in June 2006, spent most of September in it doing jobs and then moved in at the end of November. Both in September and November we went to the post office and asked if there had been any post for us. They just gave us a big box with all the mail they were holding and let us search through it for our own mail. A lot of out of date electricity bills, so bad luck DEI, but also quite a few of what looked like pension cheques.

Warwick

john4d

Postby john4d » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:45 pm

I understand that the Post Office in Vamos gets the mail delivered to it and collected from it at 7 am, which incidentally is before it opens to the public. It is therefore not possible to send it on the day of posting. Any mail posted on a Friday won't leave until 7 am Monday. This isn't a problem as long as you know.

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Return to “General Discussion & News”