Wind

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
raw

Wind

Postby raw » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:32 pm

Hello,
The title is not related to a a personal issue!
We are in Sitia and have been here for around 7 weeks. In that time we have had perhaps 5 days without it being windy. It is a huge surprise to us as when we came to Crete last year for 6 weeks we never really noticed it being particularly windy.
Is it just the case that it is more windy here in the East of the island?
We are considering if we should relocate ourselves to another area of the island to avoid these strong winds, hence the question.
All advice welcome (well within reason)
Thanks
R@W

peebee

Re: Wind

Postby peebee » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:42 pm

You check how windy it is anywhere on Crete with this https://www.windfinder.com/#9/35.1963/25.3249

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:15 pm

A lot of time in the summer the land warms up much faster than the sea. That heats the air above the land faster than the air over the sea so the air over the land tends to rise. Cooler air over the sea rushes in to replace the rising air causing a wind. If you are interested in cycling you will probably find some good examples in the Vuelta Espana on stages that have sections running parallel to the coast especially if that section is in the late afternoon. An onshore wind of this type is a cross wind for the riders and you get very pronounced echelons forming across the road.

The local variation is massive over relatively short distances so simply trying a different area of the island might not help. I live to the south west of Chania and get relatively little wind. I am effectively on a plateau behind some low hills that run parallel to the coast and they shelter me from onshore winds. My house is also amongst orange groves that I think tend to break up the wind. Friends in Plaka to the east of Chania often get a very strong wind blowing off the sea in the afternoon. Friends who live about 1 km away also get a pretty strong breeze but they are at a bit higher elevation than I am. In both case they look straight out to sea with no barrier between them and the sea. A friend who spends a lot of time walking in the white mountains tried to traverse a ridge not far from Omalos and had to crawl on his hands and knees to avoid being blown off. In the end he gave up and went back. There was no wind at all where I live at the same time. There's a good reason why they put those wind turbines high up on ridges.

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:38 pm

If you have somewhere 'in mind' for building Raw, ask a friend who is 'local' if it is a windy place! I know some Germans who did not listen to local advice. Everyone told them not to build on a piece of land that had an amazing view, but it was where the old threshing circle for the village had been situated! It was one of the worst places anyone could build on. They built their house, stayed in it for 18 months, then took three years to sell it.

There will be cynics who say people will tell you anything to sell you some land. - It is true......but if you ask someone you trust......

In answer to your question, West or East makes very little difference. It is why Crete is often referred to as 'The Windy Island.' - Although in my experience other islands are also windy! It also depends on the time of year, and which winds are blowing. Local knowledge once you have decided where you want to be would be my advice.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:34 pm

Maud wrote:If you have somewhere 'in mind' for building Raw, ask a friend who is 'local' if it is a windy place! I know some Germans who did not listen to local advice. Everyone told them not to build on a piece of land that had an amazing view, but it was where the old threshing circle for the village had been situated! It was one of the worst places anyone could build on. They built their house, stayed in it for 18 months, then took three years to sell it.

There will be cynics who say people will tell you anything to sell you some land. - It is true......but if you ask someone you trust......

In answer to your question, West or East makes very little difference. It is why Crete is often referred to as 'The Windy Island.' - Although in my experience other islands are also windy! It also depends on the time of year, and which winds are blowing. Local knowledge once you have decided where you want to be would be my advice.

You could do worse than buy Winds of Crete by David MacNeil Doren (ISBN: 9789602260920) . Just about anywhere west of a line from Rethymno due south, mention Kokkino Horio and they all tell you the air is good and fresh here. Yeah, it is, but sure could do with some right now!! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:24 pm

Well..... I like the wind we have here in the hills above Sitia , it mean's I don't need air con .....

Maud

Postby Maud » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:04 pm

Yes Bob, I have read it and would recommend it to others. It is tucked away somewhere in one of the bookcases. You have just reminded me to re-read it!

Places like Plakias and Frangokastello on the south west coast are notorious for strong winds Raw, but weather on the south coast is often good when it is bad on the north. What you need is a house in both locations!
Last edited by Maud on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raw

Postby raw » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:03 pm

Maud wrote:Yes Bob, I have read it and would recommend it to others. It is tucked away somewhere in one of the bookcases. You have just remained me to re-read it!

Places like Plakias and Frangokastello on the south west coast are notorious for strong winds Raw, but weather on the south coast is often good when it is bad on the north. What you need is a house in both locations!

There's me thinking we need to buy a place to rent out in UK (for fiscal reasons) and live here, now we need a place on the north & south coast!

We are finding it all a bit complicated and confusing.

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:16 pm

Sorry Raw, that should be 'reminded' in the quote you have copied....not remained! - It's that predictive text!

I am sure you will find a great place to have a home on Crete. It is a windy island so you will never escape it completely but choose your situation well and take advice. - You will be fine.

I know some Germans who live in Berlin but have an apartment in Hania and a small house on the South Coast. - It is a possibility!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:57 pm

Well I hate wind and always have and I have had no problem finding somewhere to live on Crete. I don't need a second house either here or elsewhere. I can't think of anywhere in the world where you can avoid wind completely but there are plenty of locations on Crete where it is not a problem.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:42 am

The region of Earth receiving the Sun's direct rays is the equator. Here, air is heated and rises, leaving low pressure areas behind. Moving to about thirty degrees north and south of the equator, the warm air from the equator begins to cool and sink. Between thirty degrees latitude and the equator, most of the cooling sinking air moves back to the equator. The rest of the air flows toward the poles. The air movements toward the equator are called trade winds- warm, steady breezes that blow almost continuously. The Coriolis Effect makes the trade winds appear to be curving to the west, whether they are traveling to the equator from the south or north.
The trade winds coming from the south and the north meet near the equator. These converging trade winds produce general upward winds as they are heated, so there are no steady surface winds. This area of calm is called the doldrums.

scooby

Postby scooby » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:12 am

mouche wrote:The region of Earth receiving the Sun's direct rays is the equator. Here, air is heated and rises, leaving low pressure areas behind. Moving to about thirty degrees north and south of the equator, the warm air from the equator begins to cool and sink. Between thirty degrees latitude and the equator, most of the cooling sinking air moves back to the equator. The rest of the air flows toward the poles. The air movements toward the equator are called trade winds- warm, steady breezes that blow almost continuously. The Coriolis Effect makes the trade winds appear to be curving to the west, whether they are traveling to the equator from the south or north.
The trade winds coming from the south and the north meet near the equator. These converging trade winds produce general upward winds as they are heated, so there are no steady surface winds. This area of calm is called the doldrums.
You could have just put a link to the article you got it from?
Men in suits will always make you pay.

mouche

Postby mouche » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:50 am

Yes, I could, couldn't I, but then again what's the problem?

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:29 am

Simply copying something without accreditation is probably breach of copyright. Just because something is published on the Internet doesn't mean it's Public Domain material.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:32 am

I think the main problem is that the description is about the trade winds, which are the prevailing winds that blow west to east in the tropics up to about 30 degrees of latitude. Crete, at 35 degrees north, is not a tropical island and the prevailing wind is the west to east one that blows at mid latitudes.

Crete is also subject to the Meltemi, which is a wind that blows down the Aegean from the north east quadrant, and the on-shore wind that I described in an earlier post. It can be difficult to distinguish between these two but I would judge the wind we've been experiencing in the west of the island lately as being more typical of an onshore wind. The wind is very low and from the west during the night and morning, i.e. a low prevailing wind. As the day wears on it strengthens and swings more towards the north. That is a combination of the low prevailing westerly and the strengthening northerly on-shore wind, the strength of which is roughly proportional to the temperature difference between the land and the sea. It then weakens as the land cools and returns to the low prevailing westerly. If the prevailing westerly strengthens, as it does on some days, it disrupts the on-shore wind and you lose the pattern.

If it was due to the Meltemi I would expect it to be stronger and more from the north east rather than north west. The best way to distinguish is to find a pressure map of the region and see if there is the strong cyclone - anticyclone configuration over the Balkans and Anatolia that causes the Meltemi. If that is present then Raw may well be experiencing the Meltemi in the east of the island. If it is not present then it is more probably the on-shore wind.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”