Greek Honey

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Ann McCallum

Greek Honey

Postby Ann McCallum » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:58 pm

hello everyone,

i have friends here visiting. they want to take home greek honey. the price per kilo can vary from 7 euro to 12 euro. does anyone know what the price difference is about? can one honey be better than the other honey? if yes, what makes one honey better than another.

thanks,
ann

Jean

Re: Greek Honey

Postby Jean » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:22 pm

"Better" is very subjective. As for the price differences, you have market forces at play: Cretan thyme honey wholesales for a lot more than any other Cretan honey because there is more demand for it. That will affect retail prices.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:41 pm

The other thing to think about is ,how much sugar the bees are fed..... Most bee keepers, when they rob the hives leave enough honey so the hives can live over the winter , other bee keepers clear out the hives and feed plain sugar all winter this is bad practice IMO....so ask around and only get honey from bee friendly keepers ....

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:55 am

I was told that all commercial honey i.e. the sort you can buy in shops, is polluted by chemicals. Is this true or is it yet another Facebook load of tripe?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:07 am

Most commercial honey is a blend of honey from many different sources, including different countries. For a time honey from China, which is a very popular part of the blend because it is cheap and very sweet, was banned from the EU because of excessive use of chloramphenicol, a broad spectrum anti-biotic. When the ban came into force, blenders were inundated with offers of large quantities of cheap honey from countries with close ties to China that traditionally had not been honey exporters. I think there have also been examples of similar contamination from Argentina. While large scale blending allows suppliers to achieve consistent taste and quality it does open up the possibility of contamination.

Some plants also produce low levels of toxins in their nectar, which are not toxic to some species of bees and which can result in that toxin being incorporated into the honey. The classic example is Rhododendron but there are others. Experienced bee keepers know to keep their bees away from such plants during their flowering season but I suppose it could affect the hives of an inexperienced keeper. I don't know of any cases of anybody suffering ill effects.

The priest in Alikianos is a very experienced bee keeper with hundreds of hives, all of which he made himself. He has an extensive woodworking workshop and industrial level centrifuges and stainless steel tanks for extracting and storing honey. I'm not sure if he sells it or if he does by what route. Some of your Greek friends in Agia might know him, Ann, and be prepared to contact him for you. At least your friends would be taking home locally produced honey. When you come into Alikianos over the narrow bridge turn right at the supermarket. His house is the first house on the right after the little bridge next to the supermarket.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”