Always sunny??

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
filippos

Always sunny??

Postby filippos » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:34 pm

During the summer especially I keep meeting people who seem to think we enjoy sun all year round? (Yes, I know it's sunny again today but it's a bit pale and watery looking.) Even on some of the forums despite threads about torrential rain and storms some people still seem to wear rose tinted specs. (Ah, perhaps that's why they think it's sunny).

For those who don't seem to be convinced by words about rough weather in Crete look at these photographs, taken in Kalyves yesterday lunchtime.

http://creteforyou.com/kalyves/sea

Filippos.[/url]

daveg

Postby daveg » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:46 pm

And the link back to this forum is ...where?
:o
DaveG

Graham

Postby Graham » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:01 pm

After four summers in Ireland winter on Crete beats any irish summer and here, after five snow storms and two ice storms and now going into tornado season I'll take Crete anytime.

filippos

Always sunny??

Postby filippos » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:06 am

daveg wrote:And the link back to this forum is ...where?
:o
DaveG

Bottom right of the page, or didn't you get that far, Dave? There are links to three and this forum is one of them.

Filippos.

daveg

Postby daveg » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:57 pm

Not picking a fight Fillipos
but this is what i get when i visit your page :? [note position of scrollbar]
DaveG

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:57 pm

Bottom right of the page, or didn't you get that far, Dave? There are links to three and this forum is one of them.

I can't see a link to this forum either. I see the same as daveg

Mary

Postby Mary » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:19 pm

Even though it is not sunny, it's still beautiful.

Mary

margarita

Postby margarita » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:02 pm

Jean wrote:

I can't see a link to this forum either. I see the same as daveg

I can see the links to three forums, but I'm not clever enough to post the proof.

Margarita

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:35 pm

Yes, it's very strange..I can see the html to it in the source code (see below -) but I can't see it on the displayed page. How on earth did you manage to do this filipos?

<P class="Body-text-P"><span class="Body-text-C10">Back to the forum</span></P>
<P class="Body-text-P"><span class="Body-text-C10">Brits in Crete</span><span class="Body-text-C11"> Click </span><a href="http://www.britsincrete.co.uk/cgi-bin/bicforum/YaBB.pl" target="_blank" style=""><span class="Body-text-C11">here</span></a></P>
<P class="Body-text-P"><span class="Body-text-C10">Interkriti</span><span class="Body-text-C11"> &nbsp;click </span><a href="http://www.interkriti.gr/cgi-bin/com/f1.cgi?category=ct" target="_blank" style=""><span class="Body-text-C11">here</span></a></P>
<P class="Body-text-P"><span class="Body-text-C10">Living in Crete</span><span class="Body-text-C11"> click </span><a href="http://www.livingincrete.net/board/" target="_blank" style=""><span class="Body-text-C11">here</span></a><span class="Body-text-C11">.</span></P>

</div>

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:42 pm

I'm not sure what's happening here, Dave but I have one idea (See below)
I've just checked using both Internet Explorer and Firefox and this is what I get.

Now, the only thing I can think of is: I added the forum links just before I posted on each forum and this was the last I posted on AND I forgot to add the link here for about four hours. Looking at the timings you probably first accessed the web page before I added the link.

If you have not cleared your browser's cache it's possible that when you access my site your browser will serve up what's in your cache rather than what's now on the page. Try either emptying your cache then trying the page again or use the link then use the refresh button to reload the page from the site rather than the cache. If that's not the cause I don't have a clue.

Filippos.

PS I don't like fights either Dave so no worries.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:58 pm

Jean wrote:Yes, it's very strange..I can see the html to it in the source code (see below -) but I can't see it on the displayed page. How on earth did you manage to do this filipos?

Jean, I don't have a clue other than what I posted a few minutes ago (I was obviously composing while you posted).

I know virtually nothing about HTML and use a WYSIWYG program that's just like a DTP package and IT produces the HTML not me so it's no use me looking at source code 'cos it's gibberish to me.

If you can puzzle out what's happening please let me know.

Filippos.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:07 pm

I've just had another look at Dave's screen shot of the links and it's definitely from before I added this forum link. I changed the text when I made the addition so that all three links would fit easily without extending the page and I changed the font at the same time (looking again maybe the font change wasn't a good move).

Filippos.

Jean

Found the problem

Postby Jean » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:22 am

I was so intrigued that I checked in IE7 as well (normally never use IE browser, only Firefox) and it didn't show either. So went into the source code again and found the problem:

<div id="txt_616" style="position:absolute; left:526px; top:1062px; width:222px; height:139px;-moz-box-sizing:border-box;box-sizing:border-box; overflow:hidden;">

Your WYSIWYG editor certainly generates a lot of code!
Anyway, in this case what it did was create a fixed size "box" where your links are located. It is also fixed vertically so whilst the link exists it doesn't display because it is located below the size of the "box". I guess that some less compliant browsers (IE6 and below possibly?) might not adhere to the size instruction and display the link anyway. It could also have something to do with the font size display in your browser.

Jean

PS don't waste sleep over it! If you really want to change it, I guess that you can go into the source code and manually change the 139px to 160 or 180 and it will do the trick

filippos

Re: Found the problem

Postby filippos » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:27 pm

Jean wrote:I was so intrigued that I checked in IE7 as well (normally never use IE browser, only Firefox) and it didn't show either. So went into the source code again and found the problem:

<div id="txt_616" style="position:absolute; left:526px; .................
............... (IE6 and below possibly?) might not adhere to the size instruction and display the link anyway. It could also have something to do with the font size display in your browser.

Jean

PS don't waste sleep over it! If you really want to change it, I guess that you can go into the source code and manually change the 139px to 160 or 180 and it will do the trick

Thanks, Jean, but Greek is hard enough to learn and "Gibberish" is a step too far at my age.

I have changed the page so maybe you could double check that it's OK now. On my system it looks OK in Firefox (my usual browser) and in the most recent version of Internet Exploder 6 (I didn't upgrade?? to v.7.)

I didn't change the HTML directly just used my WYSIWYG editor and reloaded the index file.

Filippos.

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:53 pm

You changed it to pictures! Yes it is visible.

BTW, your code is very complex but probably because it is generated by a very automated editor. html itself is pretty simple. Much easier than Greek!

Jean

Return to “General Discussion & News”