Greek Lessons or Books

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
bobscott

Re: Greek Lessons or Books

Postby bobscott » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:37 am

Mixos wrote:Once, during our early days in Crete, I hoped to impress our elderly neighbour, Georgos, who appeared to be waiting for a lift, by asking him in Greek if he was on the way to the market. I remembered that the word started with "L" and ended in "i" "Kalimera Georgo, sto Lekani..?" I asked him. His stunned expression made me realise something had got lost in translation. "Oxi" he replied, waving me off. I was mortified to realise later that I had asked him if he was on the way to the toilet.

Just a small additiion to colloquial Greek as we are on the subject. Whilst toilette with the french pronunciatiion is perfectly acceptable in my experience, another way of asking is Που είναι το μέρος? which I believe literally means 'where is the place'. Works fine here in Crete Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:30 am

I would guess that you were searching for Λαϊκή, Mixos, really a contraction of Λαϊκή Αγορά which literally means "people's market" or "public market" but is used for "street market". In northern Greece everybody referred to it as "το παζάρι", literally "the bazaar".

Warwick

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:10 pm

The word I was searching for was, indeed, Laiki, Warwick and I'm happy to say that my Greek has come on a bit since then and I've not made that mistake again. I accept that the words are not that similar, so I didn't even have the excuse a friend had when she introduced her daughter as her cucumber. :lol:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:23 pm

My late wife, stroking a neighbour's dog, tried to tell her that its fur was soft. I am sure everybody can work out how that came out. Knowing her propensity to get words wrong, she totally refused to discus weddings under any circumstances.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”