Illegal grazing of Goats in olive trees.Advice please.

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Cundalini
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:32 am
Location: Chania

Illegal grazing of Goats in olive trees.Advice please.

Postby Cundalini » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:58 am

My partner owns some Olive trees and we keep finding goats poo amongst them and damage to the bark by goats teeth on some trees .Very badly on at least one tree.The first time we noticed we think the goat owners saw us arriving and recognised her as the land owner and went down the hill quickly to move the goats and tether them onto the side of a nearby track , before we could get from the house to the land.Other times we arrived quickly and drove ,without going to the house first, straight to the olive grove but found no goats but lots and goats poo and some illegally grazing sheep tethered amongst her olive trees.My partner phoned a number in Government to do with olive production but they never got back to her after they said they would.I said she should have kept ringing .If we find illegally tethered goats can we cut the tethers and remove them? We are worried about confrontation with the Goat owners.Thanks for any advice in advance.
Cundalini wants his hand back!

bobscott
Posts: 2068
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Kokkino Horio

Re: Illegal grazing of Goats in olive trees.Advice please.

Postby bobscott » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:12 pm

I guess the short answer is that if you have animals not belonging to you tethered in your olive grove, you could cut them loose and shove them through the fence and off your land! On the other hand, a diplomatic approach, perhaps via your local TOPIKOS (council rep) might be better. Good luck. In extremis, enjoy the goat chops! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

peebee
Posts: 646
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:07 am
Location: Kalyves

Re: Illegal grazing of Goats in olive trees.Advice please.

Postby peebee » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:03 pm

If they are tethered on your land then they must be yours surely. Fire up the bar-b-q

Kilkis
Posts: 8837
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Illegal grazing of Goats in olive trees.Advice please.

Postby Kilkis » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:04 pm

You could try the Farmer Palmer approach from VIZ comic. Point a 12 bore shotgun at the owner of the goats and yell in a loud voice with a west country accent, "GET ORF MY LAAAND".

Warwick

PS I think Bob's approach might be wiser.

Jeffstclair
Posts: 967
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: The centre of the universe

Re: Illegal grazing of Goats in olive trees.Advice please.

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:09 pm

I get this from time to time , goats get on to our land ( they don't care who owns it) that is a few kilometres from the house and eat some of the lower leaves of my trees ... the fence is quite old and they just find ways through...One day I'll redo the fence ... My advice to you if they are really trashing the trees,find out who owns the goats and discuss the problem.Around here we have a local Agrofilakas ( ask at the KEP) a kind of Agricultural police man whose job is to mediate in these kind of situations, he will know who owns the goats , You might get a few kilos of cheese or some goat meat ,the goat manure is free fertiliser ... hope this helps...

YoMo2
Posts: 896
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:07 am
Location: Milatos, Lasithi

Re: Illegal grazing of Goats in olive trees.Advice please.

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:13 pm

Is the land not fenced?

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

TweetTweet
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:35 am

Re: Illegal grazing of Goats in olive trees.Advice please.

Postby TweetTweet » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:47 pm

Cundalini wrote:My partner owns some Olive trees and we keep finding goats poo amongst them and damage to the bark by goats teeth on some trees .Very badly on at least one tree.The first time we noticed we think the goat owners saw us arriving and recognised her as the land owner and went down the hill quickly to move the goats and tether them onto the side of a nearby track , before we could get from the house to the land.Other times we arrived quickly and drove ,without going to the house first, straight to the olive grove but found no goats but lots and goats poo and some illegally grazing sheep tethered amongst her olive trees.My partner phoned a number in Government to do with olive production but they never got back to her after they said they would.I said she should have kept ringing .If we find illegally tethered goats can we cut the tethers and remove them? We are worried about confrontation with the Goat owners.Thanks for any advice in advance.

Think yourslef fortunate to have free goat poo. If you/partner owns an olive grove, then it is up to you to secure your perimters. A few years ago I was visited by an enormous beautiful black horse (about 18.2 hands) and his small band of female cow friends with about 3 lovely young heifers. Due to my dogs going a bit crazy when they saw these wonderful (unusual) creatures a fair bit of damage got done to my watering system in that part of my field - BUT at that time I had an *open* space and those lovely creatures found the opening. It didn't cross my mind to tackle to owner of horse and cattle - I just fixed my perimeter fencing.

Jeffstclair
Posts: 967
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: The centre of the universe

Re: Illegal grazing of Goats in olive trees.Advice please.

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:18 pm

good point ...

Kilkis
Posts: 8837
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Illegal grazing of Goats in olive trees.Advice please.

Postby Kilkis » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:49 pm

I think ex-pats do have a rather strange attitude to life in Crete. Before our house was built, on the very edge of a village, the whole area was open orange groves with no fences. While there wasn't anybody with flocks of goats several of the old ladies in the area each had a few and they would tether them in the orange groves to eat. Often they would drag their tethers and eat in areas that were "out of bounds". Personally I found it highly amusing to walk into the bathroom when I got up in the morning, look out of the window and find a goat staring back in at me. What's not to like? The ladies would also wander through the orange groves collecting horta including on land that had now been bought and was some people's gardens. I know one ex-pat who saw them doing this and told them that if they didn't stop she would report them. They found that highly amusing and were laughing on and off for hours. They had been doing it for decades and good luck to them I say. Be glad for the copria, normally you have to buy it, paint the trunks with lime wash and live and let live.

Warwick

YoMo2
Posts: 896
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:07 am
Location: Milatos, Lasithi

Re: Illegal grazing of Goats in olive trees.Advice please.

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:28 am

Kilkis wrote:I think ex-pats do have a rather strange attitude to life in Crete. Before our house was built, on the very edge of a village, the whole area was open orange groves with no fences. While there wasn't anybody with flocks of goats several of the old ladies in the area each had a few and they would tether them in the orange groves to eat. Often they would drag their tethers and eat in areas that were "out of bounds". Personally I found it highly amusing to walk into the bathroom when I got up in the morning, look out of the window and find a goat staring back in at me. What's not to like? The ladies would also wander through the orange groves collecting horta including on land that had now been bought and was some people's gardens. I know one ex-pat who saw them doing this and told them that if they didn't stop she would report them. They found that highly amusing and were laughing on and off for hours. They had been doing it for decades and good luck to them I say. Be glad for the copria, normally you have to buy it, paint the trunks with lime wash and live and let live.

Warwick


It's a point of view. But am I not right in thinking the owner of a plot of land is required by law to fence it, on pain of seizure of the land by the state if not fenced?

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Kilkis
Posts: 8837
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Illegal grazing of Goats in olive trees.Advice please.

Postby Kilkis » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:57 am

No idea but if that is the law the state must own enough orange groves around me that if they sold the juice each year they would be able to pay off the national debt in no time.

Warwick

Jeffstclair
Posts: 967
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: The centre of the universe

Re: Illegal grazing of Goats in olive trees.Advice please.

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:59 am

It's a point of view. But am I not right in thinking the owner of a plot of land is required by law to fence it, on pain of seizure of the land by the state if not fenced?

Andrew[/quote]

I've not heard that , plots of land around here are marked by stones . Just now the grapes have all been picked and the wine made ,so the shepherds run the flocks of hundreds of sheep and goats through the grape plants to eat the leaves that are left .They start one side of the valley and wander across everyones land, you could not do that if you had fences and gates to open and close ...its free manure for my grapes, more grapes more wine ...
Last edited by Jeffstclair on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis
Posts: 8837
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Illegal grazing of Goats in olive trees.Advice please.

Postby Kilkis » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:26 am

Jeffstclair wrote:...its free manure for my grapes, more grapes more wine ...


It's not only free but the goats spread it around for you so less work. If you bought bags of it you would have to spread it yourself.

Warwick

Jeffstclair
Posts: 967
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: The centre of the universe

Re: Illegal grazing of Goats in olive trees.Advice please.

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:42 am

Yes you're right, the goat poo sits there all through the winter ..then when I prune the grapes in the spring I run up and down the rows with the rotivator and the whole process starts up again ......magic ...Going back to the OP here folk tend to put the fences around live stock rather than around trees, grapes or veg plots ....

YoMo2
Posts: 896
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:07 am
Location: Milatos, Lasithi

Re: Illegal grazing of Goats in olive trees.Advice please.

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:13 am

Surely it depends what you are fencing. I don't know about Warwick's tame goats, but round here if you don't fence a garden or veg plot the goats will have the lot. Not so much a problem with olives.

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"


Return to “General Discussion & News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests