Read this before you buy car insurance in Greece!

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Stavros

Read this before you buy car insurance in Greece!

Postby Stavros » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:18 am

Below are 6 important tips to take into consideration when you buy car insurance:

https://insurance-greece.com/insurance-tips-in-greece/tips-car-insurance-greece/

Kilkis

Re: Read this before you buy car insurance in Greece!

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:32 am

Another useful article, Stavros. A quick technical question. Is it true that a Green Card issued against a Greek insurance policy only covers the car for Third Party claims while driving abroad, even if the main policy is comprehensive? I thought it might be useful for readers here to know.

Warwick

Stavros

Postby Stavros » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:48 am

Thank you dear Warwick,

That's a very good question and you are correct, the Green Card covers only the Third Party liability and not extra covers such as theft or own damage.

In some insurers it is possible to ask the extra covers to be added to the Green Card, by paying an extra premium.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:41 am

Thanks for that, Stavros. You might consider adding that to the article?

Warwick

Stavros

Postby Stavros » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:33 am

I will do dear Warwick, thank you for pointing it out!

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:59 pm

A car insurance question -

Tomorrow, hopefully, we trade our old jalopy for a decent car. The old car is being scrapped by the dealer, but will its remaining insurance be valid for the new car (whose registration number I don't yet know)? Or should I phone the insurance company from the dealer's office? This is the first time in 11 years we've changed cars, btw, which explains my ignorance and also all of this has happened quickly over a weekend.

Cheers!

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:56 pm

We have just sold a car to buy a new one and thought, wrongly, that our buyers could take on our car insurance, as it is the car which is insured and not the driver/s. When the car is sold/passed on, the log book changes names to the new owner and this means that the insurance, in your name, legally ends with the policy. Our insurance still had five months remaining on it and our provider has credited that back to us. Your provider will want to see the log book of your new car in order to give you insurance on the new car. Hope this helps!

Enjoy your new wheels !
Someday is now : )

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:59 pm

Also, just to add, your agent should be able to provide you with a very short interim policy of about fourteen days if you want to take out the policy before you know the new car's registration. Or you could ask your dealer to email you over a copy of the log book which you can then send to your insurance agent, to provide you with a standard length policy.
Someday is now : )

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:35 pm

Thanks for those!

Frank in Crete

Postby Frank in Crete » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:54 am

While talking about insurance, I changed insurance companies last year as I had a better deal from another company and did not notice that there was a weeks gap between the date of the old and new.
I came to insure again this year and was told by the insurance company that they could not re-new because the tax office computer held a fine for me on the system and until this was paid I could not be re-insured.
I went to the tax office with my insurance policies and they had picked up that the vehicle was uninsured for one week and have fined me 150 euros, which I have had to pay, so the change of insurance companies was not any cheaper in the end, lesson learnt !

Stavros

Postby Stavros » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:32 am

Frank in Crete wrote:While talking about insurance, I changed insurance companies last year as I had a better deal from another company and did not notice that there was a weeks gap between the date of the old and new.
I came to insure again this year and was told by the insurance company that they could not re-new because the tax office computer held a fine for me on the system and until this was paid I could not be re-insured.
I went to the tax office with my insurance policies and they had picked up that the vehicle was uninsured for one week and have fined me 150 euros, which I have had to pay, so the change of insurance companies was not any cheaper in the end, lesson learnt !

That is correct, there are notices sent to vehicle owners who are not insured, as they result from cross-checks between the Ministry of Finance's vehicle records and the database maintained by insurance companies. Under the new insurance regulation, after the due date there is no cover and the vehicle is classified as uninsured.

It is unfortunate that in your case it was just a week and not not your fault...

Return to “General Discussion & News”