Meet the Britsh Ambassador, Chania

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Carolina
Site Admin

Meet the Britsh Ambassador, Chania

Postby Carolina » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:12 pm

"British Ambassador Kate Smith CMG will make her first official visit to Chania on Thursday 26 October. We would like to invite British residents to come along to meet the Ambassador for an informal discussion about our Consular Service, Brexit, living in Greece or any other issues you might wish to raise.
The meeting will take place at the Porto Veneziano Hotel, on Thursday 26 Oct from 13:30-15:00. Please complete the form if you wish to register."
https://www.eventora.com/en/Events/brit ... ate-smith-

P.S. Has anyone here on the forum had a personal invite to an evening reception on 25th?

moved 2 crete

Re: Meet the Britsh Ambassador, Chania

Postby moved 2 crete » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:19 am

We have applied for the 26th meeting, not got an invite for the 25th evening reception...
Dave H

alansmithnl

Postby alansmithnl » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:18 am

Although I can't be there, it would be interesting to find out what she has to say and what answers she gives to your questions. Anyone up for it?
Alan

altohb

Postby altohb » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:07 pm

I agree, @alansmithnl, - especially what she has to say about the potential effect of Brexit on our lives here.

A pity that the Embassy staff didn't stop to consider that British people in Crete live elsewhere than in Chania! An event of this type should have been held in Heraklion, to give the greatest number the opportunity to attend.

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:43 pm

Why Heraklion whats wrong with Chania ???

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:09 pm

altohb wrote:I agree, @alansmithnl, - especially what she has to say about the potential effect of Brexit on our lives here.
She won't be able to say anything meaningful. Brexit negotiations haven't even started in any real sense and what happens will depend on the outcome of said negotiations. The talks are also threatened with complete collapse and may not be completed.
Were I a gambler I'd bet a pound to a penny that all people will hear are carefully constructed platitudes.

altohb

Postby altohb » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:24 pm

moggieman wrote:Why Heraklion whats wrong with Chania ???

Nothing whatever, apart from the fact that it is too far for those of us living at the other end of the island. Having an event like this more or less in the centre would have been more appropriate and given an equal chance for everyone to attend.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:01 pm

filippos wrote: She won't be able to say anything meaningful. Brexit negotiations haven't even started in any real sense and what happens will depend on the outcome of said negotiations. The talks are also threatened with complete collapse and may not be completed.

Agreed Filippos.There is nothing meaningful to say at the moment about Brexit.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:05 pm

altohb wrote:
moggieman wrote:Why Heraklion whats wrong with Chania ???

Nothing whatever, apart from the fact that it is too far for those of us living at the other end of the island. Having an event like this more or less in the centre would have been more appropriate and given an equal chance for everyone to attend.

The British Consulate in Heraklion held an open day Meet/ Q & A for British Residents last month.

I expect the Ambassador's visit to Chania will be tied in with other trade / tourism meetings in the area, hence the location.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:45 am

I seem to recall that on the last census I looked at there were far more UK ex-pats in the Chania Nomos than in the other three so that might also have had an influence.

I agree that there is nothing meaningful to say yet and possibly won't be for some time. My feeling is that the three up-front items are what the EU cares about. They want an agreement on the money because coutries like Germany and France are going to have to make up any shortfall with relatively small contributions from coutries like Italy and Holland. They want an agreement on citizens rights because they don't want 3 million returning ex-pats possibly blaming them for their plight. They want an agreement on Northen Ireland because they can foresee the troubles kicking off again if there is any reintroduction of a hard border and they don't want to take any blame if it does. I don't think they are that worried about a trade deal. As a percentage of GDP they would loose about a quarter of what the UK would loose. I think they will certainly block one on services because they have more to gain by doing that. I think they realise that if they don't tie up an agreement on the first three before discussing trade the UK will walk away when they realise they are not going to get a good trade deal.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:07 pm

Agree totally with Philipos and Carolina. There's nothing useful anyone can say about Brexit at the moment - so let's drop it for a while? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:38 pm

Re the meeting in Chania, we had tickets but tied in up here with the weather, just wondering did the meeting take place or was it cancelled owing to the weather...
Dave H

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:05 am

Weather ?

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:06 am

Kilkis wrote:...... I think they realise that if they don't tie up an agreement on the first three before discussing trade the UK will walk away when they realise they are not going to get a good trade deal.

Surely nothing would be "tied up" until all subjects are agreed and finalised in one agreement at the end. Even British politicians are not stupid enough to sign irrevocable agreements on the first three areas without knowing that they are getting a trade deal?

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:01 am

Jeffstclair wrote:Weather ?

I don`t know if you had the thunder lightning and torrential rain where you live Jeff but we had in the Kolimbari area but it was continuous for at least 14 hours or more affecting the roads locally, the lane at back of our house was turned into a raging river, drain covers were blown off making driving dangerous maybe your area was not affected, if so you were lucky...
Dave H

Return to “General Discussion & News”