Car tax for 2018

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
bettyboo

Re: Car tax for 2018

Postby bettyboo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:09 pm

I'll try to remember to pay using the machine next year instead of going to a cashier and see if there is any charge :)

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:23 pm

Or just do it on line. I'm happy to pay €0.50-€1.50 for the convenience of paying from my living room. It takes about two minutes whereas going to the bank even though it's only 250 metres away takes a minimum of 10-15 minutes if there's a minimal queue and could be much longer. Most years aren't as warm and dry as it has been this year and I don't fancy leaving my cosy cave for a cold and possibly damp outdoors, sweltering in the bank sauna where they have the heating set at 26°C, then scuttling back to the cave.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:39 am

Kilkis wrote:It's good to know that Greece is maintaining the high standards of consistency that we have all come to know and love.

Great strides have also been made in efficiency. I am currently going through a full tax audit and have just encountered the following:

1 The tax office is a function of government and now does everything electronically and online.
    2 EFKA, which now incorporates IKA is a function of government and does everything electronically and online.
    3 The tax office is insisting that I go to IKA and get paper statements, suitably stamped, to prove what pension I received from them. All the information is available online on an official site but they won't accept that.

Warwick

I seem to recall that a few years ago there was a huge fanfare, (well, a few posters here and there), introducing a new service that claimed the citizen could insist on his details being accessed electronically by whatever department needed them from whichever other department held them.

Have you tried that on them? :)

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:25 pm

At the moment they seem to be accepting UK certificates with no translation and no Apostille stamp so I don't want to rock the boat. I got a certificate from IKA this morning that I think will satisfy them so hopefully job done. I am waiting for one last certificate from DWP in the UK and hopefully that will wrap up the audit.

IKA are actually very friendly and helpful. The section processing the application were a complete pain when I was waiting to be paid the pension and I could never get any information from them. The section that deals with the payment once the award was made and deals with things like the certificate are fine. The lady who dealt with it this morning remembered me from previous visits. She told me that they would prepare the certificate and phone me when it was ready. I was only about 100 m from the building when she phoned me and said that they could give it to me immediately if I went back and waited a few minutes.

In general I have found most government departments that I have had to deal with have irritating unnecessarily bureaucratic systems fronted by largely friendly and helpful people. The ones in front of you are not the ones responsible for the systems.

Warwick

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:26 pm

Car taxed, Piraeus Bank online banking. AFM & Car reg. Details retrieved. Tax paid. Job Done. Result!

bettyboo

Postby bettyboo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:53 pm

Filippos, I don't do online banking, never have, so for me nipping in the bank at the start of December when it's quiet is no big deal, and it's not that cold :) :)

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 am

Ah, bettyboo, but are you an ancient old bu99er like me who goes out when he wants to do something interesting and/or rewarding; paying bills doesn't qualify. Weather per se has never unduly concerned me, I don't mind being out in cold or heat or rain or snow (I'll go out with a camera in any of those conditions), and here I've never felt truly cold, unlike in the UK.
Paying bills ain't one of my hobbies so, being a lazy and forgetful s*d, I cough up as soon as a demand arises, in the easiest way, before I forget.
This year I was forced to leave my nest because the Taxisnet website kept insisting I'd already paid so I tried the bank and they fixed things in a flash so I had time afterwards to make a few photos.

Return to “General Discussion & News”