Anyone play an acoustic instrument?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
alansmithnl

Anyone play an acoustic instrument?

Postby alansmithnl » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:34 pm

By that I mean, G Banjo, Tenor banjo, Guitar, bouzouki, or any portable instrument, tin whistle, accordion, concertina.
Reason? I would like to start a group up when I arrive in April. Lots of good folky type comedy and fun skits etc. Really good entertainment type stuff with acapella, harmonies (Not barber shop type, though I could be persuaded!) and accompanied stuff. I have lots of material, but of course, I am eager to learn other types as well, as long as it is entertaining.

If anyone is interested, then please let me know. I will be on the Western side of the island Apokoronas area, In Armenoi.
Even if you are only a singer, then you are welcome. Ideal size is 4 members, however, 2,3 or more would be equally considered.
Let me know either here, or pm.
Get out your old instruments, dust them down and start practicing in readiness!!!
Alan

150 days to landing!!!!

SatCure

Re: Anyone play an acoustic instrument?

Postby SatCure » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:57 am

As you may know, there are several established bands in the area.

Is yours going to be a private affair or do you plan to perform in public?
If the latter, are you aware of the licensing and tax requirements?

alansmithnl

Postby alansmithnl » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:18 pm

Well, judging by the deluge of replies, maybe I'll just do some busking!
Seriously, though Licensing and tax requirements? So we can't earn honest black money anymore? (Only joking!) No I wasn't aware of these irritations. Are they painful, or is it all based on what is earned. Maybe I'll have to do some research when I get there and ask some of the local bands how they manage. Straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak!
Alan

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Talking to the horse is always best! Good luck. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

KateD

Postby KateD » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:52 pm

There is a thriving music scene out here, especially in the Apokoronas, plenty of open mic nights. Join the crete events Facebook page for details. My husband plays tenor banjo, flute, whistle and occasional bass, I play guitar, bodhran, bones etc. We play in a group called 4 Goats and a Banjo so don’t take ourselves too seriously although we do take our music seriously! :lol: We live in Paidohori - so not far from Armenoi.....

Return to “General Discussion & News”