Cost of Living

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
mouche

Re: Cost of Living

Postby mouche » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Dentures need to be fixed too, I guess, but maybe done by a blacksmith and not a dentist? :roll:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:49 pm

But not on an annual basis.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:00 pm

I wouldn*t know! :lol:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:53 pm

It's strange how totally different occurrences can have a similar outcome.

I've had dental treatment 3 times in a little over 50 years. The last time in 2000 cost £500. Allowing for inflation I would guess that represents about £1,000 today. If the previous treatments were priced at today's prices I would guess they would also be about £1,000 each so a total of £3,000. That averages at £60 per year.

My late wife visited the dentist every six months for a check-up, which in Crete the dentist did for free. Sometimes no treatment would be needed but sometimes a filling would be required that cost between €30 and €50. Worst case that would be €100 in a year but usually less. If there was a problem with the filling requiring further treatment it would typically also be free.

Two extremely different scenarios but approximately equal overall costs.

For those who do use private health insurance it is perhaps worth noting that the premium may not be the total cost. A friend told me today that her private health insurance costs €2,000 per year for a single person but it has a €1,000 excess on each course of treatment. Typically that is defined as a 30 day gap. So if you go for a course of treatment you pay the €1,000 excess once. If the treatment is regarded as complete but you have to go back more than 30 days later for further treatment of the same complaint you have to pay the €1,000 excess again. I am obviously talking about a treatment programme costing more than €1,000.

It is also worth noting that if you don't have any form of insurance and simply pay directly for treatment, as I often opt to do, the cost can be highly variable. The least I have had to pay while living in Crete was €20 per visit. The most, for an operation, was €35,000, although I did get about €15,000 of that refunded from IKA and the tax authority.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”