Mesh cover for pool closing...

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
AliceJohns

Mesh cover for pool closing...

Postby AliceJohns » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:38 am

Bought a loop -loc mesh cover for the pool closing. I would like to get your info on the covering procedure with the mesh cover. We normally use bromine to cover our 16x32 inground pool. Does the mesh cover have a different procedure? I have seen kits specifically for the mesh covers. So do I need to adjust the chemicals to the pool or use the kit?

Some of my friends suggested that I should not lower the water level like how they do for the solid cover since the mesh needs to rest on the surface of the water. Also, they suggested to algaecide the water. Is there anything else to consider?

It is late and I’m in a hurry with the closing. Need your suggestions and advice on the swimming pool maintenance too.
Last edited by AliceJohns on Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kathleen

Re: Mesh cover for pool closing...

Postby Kathleen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:26 pm

I have a made to measure pool cover brought out from UK when I bought my house. It is made from a close PVC mesh with webbing strapping tensioned into stainless steel loops to secure it. I was advised to leave the pool filled so the cover touched the surface of the water when it was installed.

Suggest you add extra shock and algaecide when you fit yours. After two seasons initial use, I no longer use mine. It did prevent some debris blowing in but the pool still required draining and full clean at the start of each year due to a couple drowned rats which had found their way into the water under its edge.

I find it easier to continue the small amount of maintenance required over the winter, keeping the pool filled, filtered and uncovered is simpler in the long run.

Kathleen

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:47 pm

I stayed at a villa in France with a pool earlier this year. It had a pool cover that was a bit like bubble wrap, which was designed to provide some insulation at night to try to maintain the temperature. All the debris from the surrounding trees dutifully fell onto the cover but when we wound the cover onto a roller at one end of the pool it all floated off onto the surface of the pool. We still had to spend an hour skimming the rubbish off the top with a net.

Most people I know, who don't drain the pool in winter, drop the level a bit because input from rain tends to be more than loss to evaporation.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:14 pm

We keep the pool filled over winter and pump going 1hr approx every day. No chemicals until March, other than the remaining chlorine from the summer. Water stays clean. Much cheaper than a cover and healthier than nasty chemicals. In March, start normal vacuuming and chlorine routine.

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:41 pm

Agreed BST we do the same on advice from our pool installer and have done so for the last 12 years with no problems.
Dave H

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:35 am

My immediate neighbour keeps his running and keeps using chlorine tablets but at a much lower rate than in the summer. Another neighbour just leaves theirs full to turn into a green pond and then drains, cleans and refills the next spring. A third drains his completely. A fourth has built a low level poly-tunnel over his and continues using it long after most people have stopped. Isn't variety and freedom of choice a wonderful thing.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”