Builders Electricity Costs

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
RogerC

Builders Electricity Costs

Postby RogerC » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:18 pm

I’ve fiscover d that our house is still on Builders supply electricity tariff. In the process of getting this sorted but does this mean I’ve been paying too much or too little for electricity to date?

Thanks for any help
Roger

Kilkis

Re: Builders Electricity Costs

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:31 pm

You can see the normal tariff here and the business tariff here, which is what you pay when on builder's electricity. The business tariff is higher. On builder's electricity I don't think you get charged the council tax or the ERT licence BUT it is possible that you might get a back charge for the council tax. THe main problem is that after a period of time builder's electricity will simply be cut off. I'm not sure of the timescale.

Warwick

PS The above links are to pdf documents so they will appear in your downloads folder not open in a web page.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:59 am

You will definitely be charged for council taxes owed if the square metres shown on your electric bill are the notional 10 sq metres that builders usually declare, and the fines can be quite steep. Also, there may be ENFIA owed. Get your accountant to confirm that your E9 property ownership declaration shows the correct size and other details for your property. Incorrect/notional size declarations often go hand in hand for electric and E9.

Probably the least of your worries is whether you have been paying too much or too little for your electric.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:30 am

For the benefit of anybody who is unsure whether their build has been finalised and transferred onto normal domestic electricity rate you can check in the top left hand corner of the bill below the ΔΕΗ logo. The first line will say either ΕΝΑΝΤΙ or ΕΚΚΑΘΑΡΙΣΤΙΚΟΣ depending whether it is an intermediate bill or a final one. Below that if you are on domestic electricity it will say Γ1, or Γ1Ν if you have a night meter fitted. If you are still on builder's electricity, i.e. business rate, it will say Γ21.

I checked back in my records and I received two bills on Γ21 after I moved into the property. Both had the ERT charge on them. Neither had the council tax charge on them and I was NOT charged any back council tax. It simply started at the normal rate on the first Γ1 bill. In my contract with the developer it specified that a night time meter would be fitted. It took quite a long time to get ΔΕΗ to do this after I moved in and also to transfer the meter from its temporary position on the house wall to a box on the outside of the garden wall. I guess it is possible that my property was classed as not complete, even though I was living in it, because ΔΕΗ had not fulfilled their obligations. It is also possible that back council tax was not charged for that reason. That is why, in my earlier post, I said that you "might" be charged for back council tax.

Warwick

RogerC

Postby RogerC » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:41 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies - time for me to do some more digging it seems!
Roger

Return to “General Discussion & News”