Getting rid of coins

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
shine on

Getting rid of coins

Postby shine on » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:19 pm

I have collected all my 5,2 and 1 cent coins and decided to change them up for notes, I knew this was going to be difficult and I knew it was not the same in the UK where one can pop to their local supermarket and use their coin machine in exchange for supermarket vouchers. So with heavy bag in hand I started at my local village bank where I was told that I can only exchange coins at the bank where my account is held so off to Chania I go. I approach my bank in Halidon St queuing, or crowding as its formally known, for 20 Mins only to be told I need to go to the bank opposite the market.

By the time I get to this bank I am sweating carrying my coins, another push and shove 20 Mins later I am told I must go to the main bank in Polytechnou St, I slowly march to hopefully the last bank, again I wait to be served and am now told that they do not cash in coins and I should go to the bank in Halidon St, ‘I have been there and they sent me away’ I said, so the clerk phoned the bank in Halidon to which she translated ‘The coin machine is broken, so now you have to go to The Bank of Greece opposite the market or you could try the fruit shop next door’, What, the fruit shop? I go to the fruit shop first without any hope and true enough the nice lady laughed and said she would only take about €1 worth of coins, I left quickly and embarrassed. The Bank of Greece is on my way back so I decide to give it a try even though I have now lost the will to live, I’m also hungry and thirsty and have probably lost a few kilos of belly fat but I do need to off load these coins and time now is against me.

I get to the Bank of Greece obviously now looking suspicious and probably stinking of sweat. The bank is curiously empty which led me to ask the front desk ‘Are you open? ‘Of course’ said the clerk, so with my last breath I throw the heavy bag full of coins in front of him and pleaded with him to take them, ‘Is this your Bank?’ He said to which I said it was not, with the warmest smile he said proudly as though this would end my tour ‘Ah then you need to go to the Bank in Halidon St’.
Right that’s it I give up, home it is and I now know why Greece has no money.

Clio

Re: Getting rid of coins

Postby Clio » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:15 pm

I took some once to the post office and asked if they could change them. Postmaster Aristides hesitated a bit before agreeing, and asking me to come back later. When I did, and collected my ten euros or whatever it was, I found out why he hadn't been too keen. I was embarrassed to discover that the poor guy had had physically to count out all those piddling coins. I asked if he couldn't have weighed them, as banks in England do, but he said he had no knowledge of the relationship of weight to value.

I still collect the small change from force of habit, and it's really mounting up. I am planning to try the city post office in hopes (?!) that they have a coin-counting machine, but I will ask first before taking in the loot.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Yes it's crazy!

But it sounds like you went to the National Bank of Greece and not the Bank of Greece. They are different!

The Bank of Greece is the Greek Central Bank and they do not have another branch in Chania - there is just one in town and it is on the next corner to the main National Bank of Greece branch, near the market, on the corner of Papandreou Street.

scooby

Postby scooby » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:33 pm

Carolina wrote:Yes it's crazy!

But it sounds like you went to the National Bank of Greece and not the Bank of Greece. They are different!

The Bank of Greece is the Greek Central Bank and they do not have another branch in Chania - there is just one in town and it is on the next corner to the main National Bank of Greece branch, near the market, on the corner of Papandreou Street.
Yeah go do it again :wink:
Men in suits will always make you pay.

shine on

Postby shine on » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:38 pm

I would if I had the energy and courage.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:28 pm

I just took mine to my local supermarket. Their coin sorting and counting machine was broken but when I explained that they were already sorted into 1s, 2s, and 5s in separate envelopes they said they would count them by hand. I left them with them so they could do it when they weren't busy and collected the money next time I went in.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:46 pm

Whilst I, in no way, want this forum ever to become like Facebook, I do sometimes wish I could 'like' or 'chuckle' at some posts.
Your desceiption shine on, had me, in equal measures, both pitying you and chuckling. Let us know if you ever get cashed up won't you :D .
Someday is now : )

shine on

Postby shine on » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:19 pm

I have recently been told, from not a very good source I might add, that there is a coin machine in Athens, at least I think that is what was being described to me. Having worked out my weight in copper I could make a tidy profit of €3.40 after air fares, a local coffee, light lunch and possibly a doughnut but being that the source is a local Greek man in his 80’s who cannot speak English very good and my Greek is more arm waving than vocal I will give it a miss as much as €3.40 is tempting, besides I have worn the souls of my shoes considerably, uneven which is odd, after today’s marathon and I dare not risk the same mileage.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:53 am

:lol: Well, then perhaps I can see a local charity box suddenly weighing more in the near future?

PS: Start collecting one euros maybe. We do that with a money box from the post office which can only be unlocked at the post office and then treat ourselves with its contents :D Or in your case shine on, you could have your shoes resoled ...
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:07 am

shine on wrote:...besides I have worn the souls of my shoes considerably, uneven which is odd, after today’s marathon and I dare not risk the same mileage.

Have faith, shine on, I am sure redemption is possible. I am sure none of us has lived a totally blameless life and our souls are also worn at least a little unevenly. Perhaps Johnincrete could advise as to what is a suitable penance for someone whose soul is worn considerably unevenly through excessive mileage?

Warwick

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:03 pm

I've probably missed the obvious BUT why collect the small change - i.e.USE it pay for small items eg bread, parking (f you have to)?

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:11 pm

TweetTweet wrote:I've probably missed the obvious BUT why collect the small change - i.e.USE it pay for small items eg bread, parking (f you have to)?

You beat me to it with that question! Why on earth wouldn't you just want to offload the coins as soon as you can?

In our experience, when paying a bill at a supermarket, just hold out your pocketful of change in your hand and the cashier will pounce on it and grab whatever he/she needs in order to top up the till with 'shrapnel'. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:05 am

bobscott wrote:In our experience, when paying a bill at a supermarket, just hold out your pocketful of change in your hand and the cashier will pounce on it and grab whatever he/she needs in order to top up the till with 'shrapnel'.

Our experience too but not limited to supermarkets. Quite often if the bill is €xx plus a few cents they take the €€ only and forget the shrapnel. On occasions when the bill is €xx. less a few cents and they're struggling for change we say to forget the change. The only local shop I know that always has small change is Filema, opposite Piraeus bank in Kalyves.

Return to “General Discussion & News”