Has anyone actually imported a car on moving over

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Houmeri91

Has anyone actually imported a car on moving over

Postby Houmeri91 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:10 pm

Hi ,

we have owned a house on Crete since 2004 and going to a last look to come over to live in it next year . Now I have looked at the various links and studied the websites and clearly understand if we export our current car over when we come over , after supplying a mountain of documents . Like most things there seems to a load of costs that just seem to add up as well as a load of grief . Now I am very fond of my old 4 wheeled beast . It's 10 year old next year low mileage and diesel ( which there is of course a real big difference in fuel prices in Crete ) . But when I try to get to costs it says that i see the consulate then customs then can get special greek plates at 20% of cost but what is the cost ? And is it worth importing on the change of residence ?
Yours views would be greatly appreciated ....

Roussa

Re: Has anyone actually imported a car on moving over

Postby Roussa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:50 pm

Yes, it's worth it :)
BUT : to import that car with only a small fee you need a lot of paperwork from the Greek embassy first and you need to have a notice of departure from your country when coming here. If you need to stay registered at your home country for some reason it's usually better to forget about the car.

The normal customs fee ( I though more than 20%) is based on the original price of your car.
Also bear in mind that the annual road tax depends on the cc for every car that has been circulating in the EU before 2010.

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:20 am

I was understanding that it was easier to do it from the UK end rather than the Greek end, having said that it was 11years ago so things may have changed since then :) :)
Dave H

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:16 pm

If you want to get a CERTIFICATE FOR DOMICILE TRANSFER EXEMPTION in order to avoid excessive import costs you have to do that in the country of origin. You have to present documentation to the Greek Embassy/Consulate there and get the documents certified by them. Obviously the actual importation and issuing of new licence plates is done at the Greek end on presentation of the documentation. The process must be started as soon as you arrive.

Warwick

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:05 pm

Thanks for the advice all !!! Snow here in the UK much rather be there today well less than a year now ........

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:01 pm

Roussa wrote:...The normal customs fee ( I though more than 20%) is based on the original price of your car...

The fee depends on a lot of factors but mainly engine size and year of manufacture. For a capacity of up to 900 cc and manufactured in 1996 or later the fee is 7 % of the assessed value. For a capacity over 2,000 cc and manufactured before 1989 the fee is 385 % of the assessed value. The assessed value starts with the new price of the car and then depreciates it over time. From 6 months to 1 year depreciation is 7 % and over 15 years is 80 %. Initially the rate increases by 7 % per year up to 4 years, 6 % per year up to 8 years, 5 % per year up to 11 years and then 3 % per year up to 15 years.

The new price is what the authority deems the new price to be in Greece and can be very different from what it actually was in the country of origin. A small engine car can be cheaper in Greece than in the UK for example but large engine car, e.g. over 5 litre could be double the UK price.

Those figures are taken from an official booklet issued in 2001 so may have changed but the principle still applies as far as I know.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:42 pm

Re: circulation tax changes we bought a new (petrol fuelled) car in March 2016, designated 1.6 litres but in reality about 1560cc and the tax is €156. The vehicle it replaced was just under 14 years old and designated 2 litres but was actually about 1950cc. One of several reasons for changing was the circulation tax which for 2016 would have been €630, (€30 lower than the previous year). The annual saving pays for about 42 weeks' worth of fuel.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:00 pm

filippos wrote:Re: circulation tax changes we bought a new (petrol fuelled) car in March 2016, designated 1.6 litres but in reality about 1560cc and the tax is €156. The vehicle it replaced was just under 14 years old and designated 2 litres but was actually about 1950cc. One of several reasons for changing was the circulation tax which for 2016 would have been €630, (€30 lower than the previous year). The annual saving pays for about 42 weeks' worth of fuel.

For any car registered after 1/11/2010 the capacity doesn't matter, the circulation tax is determined by the emissions. For example a friend has a post 2010 2 litre diesel with a tax around €150 while my 1.8 litre 2007 petrol is €320. For older cars 1929 cc is a key figure because that is where the tax jumps up to over €600 and anybody who is tax resident also becomes liable for luxury tax. Not sure if luxury tax still kicks in at 1929 cc for newer cars.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:14 pm

Yup, I read George's recent e-mail and discovered I still had the one he sent last year, too.

Return to “General Discussion & News”