Residence permits.

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: Residence permits.

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:29 pm

I'm not sure how Brexit could in any way affect the rights of a non-EU wife of a Greek man. They will be whatever they are now under Greek and EU law. Paragraph 2 of Article 6 and Article 7 of DIRECTIVE 2004/38/EC state that the right of residence extends to family members who are not nationals of a Member State.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Sorry if I'm being thick, but both articles refer to "Union citizens on the territory of another member state". Do you think I can assume that Greek law applies in the same way as the Directive to a Greek living in Greece? It would seem slightly bizarre if it didn't.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:10 pm

Currently a British wife would have residency in Greece in her own right through the Directive. After Brexit, if the final agreement follows the report published a week or so ago, the British wife would still have residency in Greece in her own right. If the final agreement doesn't follow the published report then it will be whatever the new agreement says or whatever Greek law says. I have no idea what the Greek law says about residency rights of non-Greek wives married to Greek men and I have no way to predict what the final agreement will be, other than that described in the report. Everything in the Directive suggests that the EU wish to maintain families together. A lot of the preliminary negotiation was about preserving residency rights for family members after Brexit, especially the ability of a family member to still join the family after Brexit. Since Greece will still be part of the EU, I cannot believe that a wife would be expelled but I cannot guarantee that. I would suggest asking a Greek lawyer what the residency rights are for a non-Greek wife of a Greek citizen.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:26 pm

The UK in Greece had a Q&A session on Facebook the other day, with the Ambassdor, Kate Smith, answering a lot of queries from UK Citizens.Some interesting info there and I am putting it all together at the moment to add a page to the main site shortly.

In the meantime the most important thing she said was -

"The current rules are that all UK nationals resident in Greece should apply for a registration certificate whatever their status.- see
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-g ... uthorities. Probably a good idea to do this now, even while we're awaiting further details about possible changes to the system.
"

Re Warwick's comment below - Link now edited & directs to the correct page.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:09 pm

It is not completely clear what you are supposed to be looking at on the link as it contains lots of different items. You need to click on the Living in Greece link about halfway down the page and then the Registering with Greek Authorities link. That takes you to a link to a pdf document on registration requirements. Alternatively you can go directly to the pdf document here. The information is broadly in line with information earlier on this thread. It contains images of the front page of the registration certificate, as posted by Filippos, and the permanent residence certificate so people should be able to recognise what they have got. If anybody still has the old residence permit then it has certainly expired.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:04 pm

A summary of the Brexit Q & A session with the British Ambassador to Greece, Kate Smith CMG on 20th December 2017 is now available on the Living in Crete main website and quite a few topics are covered including residence rights, working, healthcare, pensions, family members. See
http://www.livingincrete.net/brexit.html

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:48 pm

I thought the reply to the question on UK/EU driving licences might be of interest to many ex-pats?

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:27 pm

Kilkis wrote:I thought the reply to the question on UK/EU driving licences might be of interest to many ex-pats?

Warwick
More of an interest is the none answer as to a "no deal" scenario.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:37 pm

How can a UK diplomat predict what action the EU will take in the event of a no deal scenario? Only the EU know that.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:12 pm

Kilkis wrote:How can a UK diplomat predict what action the EU will take in the event of a no deal scenario? Only the EU know that.

Warwick

Simple Warwick. Many UK diplomats and certainly MP's haven't a clue about what happens in the EU or how it works, much less what effect being in the EU has on those of us who live outside of the UK. Most get their info from the papers. Who in turn slant the articles to suit their purpose rather than just tell the situation as it is. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:07 pm

It doesn't matter a damn what UK MPs know or care about the situation of UK ex-pats living elsewhere in the EU. If they are 200 IQ geniuses, know every single EU Treaty, Directive and Regulation verbatim and have never read a newspaper in their lives it is still impossible to predict how the EU will react to a no deal outcome. In the event of a no deal outcome they will have absolutely no influence whatsoever on what the EU decides to do. There is no information anywhere to give the slightest clue. No country has ever left the EU before. There are no rules governing what happens. 27 Heads of State, 27 Commissioners and 678 MEPs all with different ideas, agendas and pressures will need to reach an agreement. Good luck predicting the outcome of that.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”