Electronic transactions’ lottery - Check if you've won!

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Stavros

Electronic transactions’ lottery - Check if you've won!

Postby Stavros » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:47 pm

The Finance Ministry is expected to proceed to the second draw, based on taxpayers’ transactions paid electronically via debit or credit card in the period from 01-01-2017 until 30-09-2017.

This is the big draw of Christmas, which will distribute 1,000 Euros to 9,000 lucky citizens!

Below you can read what you need to know and how to check if YOU have won! (This article relates to all the future draws too)

(Read the rest of the article BELOW)

https://insurance-greece.com/lottery-tickets/

paul g

Re: Electronic transactions’ lottery - Check if you've won!

Postby paul g » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:29 pm

I take it this only works for Greek issued credit/debit cards.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:32 pm

Unless the foreign bank that has issued your credit/debit card has somehow set up a system to inform the Greek tax authority of what transactions you have made on it?

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:11 am

Anyone tried checking the results?

Andrew

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:29 pm

YoMo2 wrote:Anyone tried checking the results?

Andrew

Yes. Haven't won anything yet.

It's actually very easy to check, just follow the instructions given above by Stavros. You do need your log in details (username and password) for the Taxisnet website (your accountant will have them if you don't - ask he/she for them). A window pops up detailing your total number of online and debit card transactions, and the total amount of those transactions, and whether or not you are a lucky winner.

Worth checking just to see how much information they have on you and your bank accounts :shock: :shock: :shock:

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:35 am

Given the convoluted nature of even checking that you've won, how many winners will ever claim? Is the payout automatic? If not, only that tiny number of people who:

a) have an online taxisnet account and can access it
b) speak Greek
c) have even heard about this
d) can work out where to find the results

will ever claim......

Still, maybe it will slightly postpone the next lot of tax increases if they don't pay out all the winnings.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:27 am

YoMo2 wrote:Given the convoluted nature of even checking that you've won, how many winners will ever claim? Is the payout automatic? If not, only that tiny number of people who:

a) have an online taxisnet account and can access it
b) speak Greek
c) have even heard about this
d) can work out where to find the results

will ever claim......

Still, maybe it will slightly postpone the next lot of tax increases if they don't pay out all the winnings.

Andrew

So that would be:

a) Everybody who is tax resident in Greece including all Greeks. Tax returns can now only be done through the Taxisnet system
b) Everybody Greek.
c) Everybody who reads/watches/listens to any Greek media outlet. It has been widely reported.
d) Everybody who can click on a web site link.

Perhaps not such a tiny number? Stavros posted the information here to help ex-pats who are tax resident and hence eligible to win. He recognised that your comments could be true of many of them. It is no more convoluted than logging on to any web site such as e-banking, an email account, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Redit etc. You type in a user-name and a password then click on a button.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:25 pm

Hmmm. Cleverly put.

I look at it differently.

If you are a fluent Greek speaker you will have no problem with b),c), and d). However, I would guess less than 50% of Greek taxpayers access their on-line accounts themselves. I doubt their accountants will be checking for their winnings. Unless they can syphon them off for themselves....

If you are an "expat", you probably won't get past a). The relevant point being whether you can access it. If you do, b), c), and d) will probably get you, despite what you say about simply clicking on a link.

Overall, I still don't think many people will get to check their winnings.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:20 pm

The system is not there for ex-pats, Andrew. It is for Greeks. If HMRC had a similar system would you say, "Well nobody is going to look at that it is too difficult". Most Greeks would not use an accountant to complete their tax returns. If they are not able to do it themselves a family member would do it for them. The same family member will probably check if they have won. Accountants mostly do work for businesses. I never used an accountant in the UK to complete my tax return. I probably know about enough to do it here but I prefer to have a more knowledgeable buffer between me and the tax authority and I don't mind paying a relatively small annual fee to achieve that. You can be absolutely certain that any Greek who thinks he/she might win €1,000 will check and that is a very large number of people.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Kilkis wrote:The system is not there for ex-pats, Andrew. It is for Greeks. If HMRC had a similar system would you say, "Well nobody is going to look at that it is too difficult". Most Greeks would not use an accountant to complete their tax returns. If they are not able to do it themselves a family member would do it for them. The same family member will probably check if they have won. Accountants mostly do work for businesses. I never used an accountant in the UK to complete my tax return. I probably know about enough to do it here but I prefer to have a more knowledgeable buffer between me and the tax authority and I don't mind paying a relatively small annual fee to achieve that. You can be absolutely certain that any Greek who thinks he/she might win €1,000 will check and that is a very large number of people.

Warwick

Well, I'm perfectly well aware who the system is for. My point was that not many expats will be able to check, and we'll have to agree to differ over how many Greeks have access to the online system. Certainly not many of the farmers, shepherds and builders that I know.

Andrew

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Kilkis wrote: Stavros posted the information here to help ex-pats who are tax resident and hence eligible to win. He recognised that your comments could be true of many of them. It is no more convoluted than logging on to any web site such as e-banking, an email account, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Redit etc. You type in a user-name and a password then click on a button.

Warwick

Just to be clear then. Although not tax resident in Greece, one has still to complete and submit a tax form. So are we really talking about this scheme just applying to tax residents (ex-pat or nationals) or are we talking about anyone who submits a tax form?

Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:44 pm

As far as I am aware, Bob, you would need to be paying tax in Greece to qualify. A quote from the link provided by Stavros, my emphasis in red:

"...based on taxpayers’ transactions...

I guess it is possible that some ex-pats may be paying tax in Greece on income arising in Greece even if they are not tax resident here. I am not sure if they would qualify. The easy way to find out is go on-line and check.

The vast majority of ex-pats are not tax resident in Greece so would not qualify anyway, Andrew. As far as I am aware it is now only possible to file tax returns on-line so your shepherds and builders must have access somehow or they are not filing tax returns, in which case I suppose they wouldn't qualify anyway. Certainly the majority of Greeks I know have internet access and file their own returns. The older ones mainly get their children to do it for them.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:57 pm

Well, I'm not tax resident, but I pay tax on income arising in Greece, and yes, I qualify for the "lottery" scheme. Didn't win this month though....

Since there is no empirical evidence to prove either of our views, Warwick, I guess we'll have to agree to differ over how many Greeks would be able to go online to check their results.

Andrew

Stavros

Postby Stavros » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:13 am

According to the latest news this week's lottery will take place on Sunday and will determine winners for the 10 months of 2017. December's draw will take place and the end of January and so on... So the new addition to the diary will be to check the TaxisNet account at the beginning of each month! :D :D :D

paul g

Postby paul g » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:59 am

I'm doing extra lucky dips on the joker.

Return to “General Discussion & News”