Official translation - English to Greek

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
GlennB

Official translation - English to Greek

Postby GlennB » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:48 pm

Some years back we got translations of UK pension statements through the usual channel here. It was quick and efficient.

Recently we sent in our marriage certificate and its 'apostille stamp' for translation - filled in the forms, got the post office cheque for two documents and sent it all off with an SAE. Some days later our p.o. bloke refunded our money, telling us it had been refused at the Ministry translation office, but with no explanation as to why. A week later the document itself was returned (whew!) also with no explanation.

Looking at the website it seems to read that the courier (ELTA in this case?) need to go back to collect the translation, though that's not totally clear. A personal trip to Athens to do it myself is pretty much out of the question, while getting a friend to do it requires a police 'dilosi'.

Did something change in recent years? Any clues gratefully received.

Kilkis

Re: Official translation - English to Greek

Postby Kilkis » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:23 pm

Whenever I have needed an official translation of a document I have simply used a local lawyer authorised to do translations. Cost is about €40 per A4 sheet. If you are anywhere near Chania, try Christianna Tsigaloglou.

Warwick

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Kilkis wrote:Whenever I have needed an official translation of a document I have simply used a local lawyer authorised to do translations. Cost is about €40 per A4 sheet. If you are anywhere near Chania, try Christianna Tsigaloglou.

Warwick

Yes, we tried a lawyer, but the tax office insisted on the Ministry translation.

What we most fear is the lady at the local tax office. She looked at the lawyer's translation and said (in Greek) "But the certificate says you were a bachelor and a spinster! Not married! This is too difficult!" I think she started to sob at that point.

How the Ministry translation might change her mind is not clear. All we want to do is finally to pay our E1 for 2016, which requires us to prove we're married (don't ask) :(

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:54 am

GlennB wrote:...She looked at the lawyer's translation and said (in Greek) "But the certificate says you were a bachelor and a spinster! Not married! This is too difficult!" I think she started to sob at that point...

Does she not understand that column 4 of the marriage certificate, headed "Condition" describes your status at the point when you marry, i.e. you are a bachelor and your wife is a spinster when you marry. It could describe you as widowed or divorced and the certificate would still be legal. It cannot describe either of you as "Married" or the certificate would be illegal as it would be a bigamous marriage. A translation from the ministry will say exactly the same thing. The problem is not the translation. The problem is her failure to understand what the terms in the marriage certificate mean. Getting a Ministry translation will not obviate her stupidity.

Warwick

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:07 pm

Kilkis wrote:
GlennB wrote:...She looked at the lawyer's translation and said (in Greek) "But the certificate says you were a bachelor and a spinster! Not married! This is too difficult!" I think she started to sob at that point...

Does she not understand that column 4 of the marriage certificate, headed "Condition" describes your status at the point when you marry, i.e. you are a bachelor and your wife is a spinster when you marry. It could describe you as widowed or divorced and the certificate would still be legal. It cannot describe either of you as "Married" or the certificate would be illegal as it would be a bigamous marriage. A translation from the ministry will say exactly the same thing. The problem is not the translation. The problem is her failure to understand what the terms in the marriage certificate mean. Getting a Ministry translation will not obviate her stupidity.

Warwick

All very true. We did try to point out that our 'condition' was normal for people about to marry but she got flustered and started waving her hands around.

I tried KEP to get advice on the translation but there must be some seasonal reason why the place is heaving with people right now.

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:59 pm

GlennB wrote:I tried KEP .... but there must be some seasonal reason why the place is heaving with people right now.

Seasonal reason hasn't spread to Kalyves. Three recent visits, latest mid-morning today, have been heaving with staff (three) and only me and 'Er Indoors making enquiries.
Last edited by filippos on Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:14 pm

I don't know where you are Glen but the KEP office at the town hall in Chania is always pretty busy. Ones outside the city centre tend to be less so. I haven't been recently but I have never had to wait at the one in Vamvakopoulo.

Warwick

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:03 pm

Kilkis wrote:I don't know where you are Glen but the KEP office at the town hall in Chania is always pretty busy. Ones outside the city centre tend to be less so. I haven't been recently but I have never had to wait at the one in Vamvakopoulo.

Warwick

Turns out it was a load of people who don't have computers who needed their road tax application printed out, so that made sense in the end ;)

I'll be trying again in a few days to make progress on actually paying our taxes!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:12 pm

Good grief! I'm amazed that they were getting them printed out that early. I would have expected them all to be queuing up in the banks on Friday 29th.

Warwick

PS Don't be surprised if they prevent you paying your tax on time because of some sort of bureaucratic hiccup, i.e. their fault, and then fine you for paying it late.

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:22 pm

Kilkis wrote:Good grief! I'm amazed that they were getting them printed out that early. I would have expected them all to be queuing up in the banks on Friday 29th.

Warwick

There's an extra incentive these days. The part of our local tax office, 30 mins away down the coast, that accepted payments has closed and now a late payment would mean a 90-minute haul up the mountains to Tripoli, and the road there has already been closed a few times due to snow.

For my part I discovered the joy of online payment this year. Just hoping it worked, but I do have the computer receipt printed out.

Kilkis wrote:PS Don't be surprised if they prevent you paying your tax on time because of some sort of bureaucratic hiccup, i.e. their fault, and then fine you for paying it late.

There will be a fine, we're sure. It was our accountant's fault back in 2008 when she logged us in the system as unmarried, though this is the first year Taxisnet has cared. Getting someone to fix it is the issue.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:22 pm

GlennB wrote:...There's an extra incentive these days. The part of our local tax office, 30 mins away down the coast, that accepted payments has closed and now a late payment would mean a 90-minute haul up the mountains to Tripoli, and the road there has already been closed a few times due to snow...

I don't understand why the tax office closing is a problem. You can pay it in any bank or post office. You don't need to print anything out if you don't want to, just take the vehicle registration document with you and the bank/post office will do it all.

Warwick

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:23 am

Kilkis wrote:
GlennB wrote:...There's an extra incentive these days. The part of our local tax office, 30 mins away down the coast, that accepted payments has closed and now a late payment would mean a 90-minute haul up the mountains to Tripoli, and the road there has already been closed a few times due to snow...

I don't understand why the tax office closing is a problem. You can pay it in any bank or post office. You don't need to print anything out if you don't want to, just take the vehicle registration document with you and the bank/post office will do it all.

Warwick

The one time I was late paying the bank and PO wouldn't accept payment. That was when I had to go to the tax office, presumably as a small fine was added for the late payment.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:40 am

That's correct. If you go past the payment deadline you cannot pay at a bank or PO. It isn't exactly a small fine - you pay double the licence fee if you pay late.

Warwick

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:16 pm

I finally got through to the translation office by phone. What's changed along the way is the drop off/collect system which means it can't be done purely through postal means. In our case this will mean a courier, so we'll bite that bullet.

Does anyone have experience with the ELTA courier system (which seems to be a new thing at our local p.o.) ? We do have a Geniki Taxydromiki office 30 mins up the road if that's considered a better service.

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:44 pm

I've used the ELTA service once, about 18 months ago, and the package arrived safely in the UK about five days later.

I can't remember the exact figures but first I tried UPS, whom I'd used a couple of times previously, and walked away when they quoted a bit over €120* for standard service and around €150+* for Express (speed wasn't needed).

I took the parcel (about 45cm x 45cm x 60cm and several kilos) to Kalyves PO and paid a bit over €30 (maybe €35).
* For that I had to deliver the package to their agent's Xania depot (not far from Xalkiadakis).
Last edited by filippos on Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “General Discussion & News”