Healthcare

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
drawwater

Healthcare

Postby drawwater » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:08 pm

After 6 weeks we have finally received our S1 forms from the UK. In my innocence I believed it was a simple matter to register them with the local health authority. It now turns out we need AMKA numbers (I assume this is different to a tax number which we already have) to obtain a health book but to get AMKA numbers we need health books. Looks like a Catch 22 situation. We have also been warned there is unlikely to be anyone who speaks English at either office and my Greek is somewhat limited. Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, can you offer any advice on how to overcome it?

Kilkis

Re: Healthcare

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:54 pm

Try KEP. They issued my AMKA number. They should know which order it has to be done in and may be able to help you. I've usually managed to find somebody who speaks English at IKA in Chania, whichever counter I needed to go to. Not necessarily the first person you encounter.

Warwick

PS I had my IKA book long before AMKA numbers were invented so I have no idea what the current procedure is.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:57 pm

Five years ago we went through the process of getting our IKA books and we needed AMKA numbers then. We went to a KEP office for them. If you search relevent words on this forum you should find further detail, i.e. Paperwork to take with you both to KEP and IKA, as well as directions to offices.
Someday is now : )

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 am

You can get an AMKA number without a health book. Whoever told you otherwise is wrong. Nothing new there then.

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:38 am

To back up Andrew's statement I had a quick look at the paper KEP gave me in 2009 when they issued my AMKA number. On it is the usual name, father's name, mother's name, date of birth, address, telephone number, AFM, passport number and country of origin. Nowhere on it is any mention of my IKA number. The AMKA number, however, is on my IKA book along with the IKA number. It looks pretty clear that you need to get an AMKA number from KEP before you apply for the IKA number.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:55 pm

I just checked the information I had on AMKA on the Living in Crete main site, page http://www.livingincrete.net/natinsIKA.html and I do in fact mention the health book, however this now appears to be wrong. The information was taken from the AMKA website when it came into being a number of years ago, but checking the AMKA website again now there is no mention of the health book. I suspect therefore this was the information given at the inception of AMKA and during the transition, when most Greeks and residents already had health books.

Basically the AMKA website http://www.amka.gr now says you just need your passport (but they may also ask for another document showing your father and mother's names).

Any KEP office can issue the AMKA.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:26 pm

I have a feeling that KEP wanted the paper that the tax office give you when they issue your AFM. I seem to recall that they wouldn't accept me just telling them what the AFM was. After 8 years my memory may be misleading me.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”