Insurance for a British reg van in Crete?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
DobbyTheHouseElf

Insurance for a British reg van in Crete?

Postby DobbyTheHouseElf » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:39 pm

Anyone recommend an insurance company for a UK reg van at a Crete address ?

Jeffstclair

Re: Insurance for a British reg van in Crete?

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:54 pm

I'ts not possible to insure a UK registered vehicle with a Greek company . You have to use a UK company to issue the green card . Some UK companies will give you a 12 months greencard , but the vehicle can only be used in Greece for 6 months legally , then it should return to it's country of origin .hope this helps ...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:08 pm

DobbyTheHouseElf wrote:Anyone recommend an insurance company for a UK reg van at a Crete address ?

I'm not sure what exactly that means? As far as I know you cannot have a UK registered vehicle registered to a Greek address. If it is UK registered the log book must contain a UK address. Presumably you had UK insurance based on that address before you came to Crete. I would have thought you would have made sure that insurance lasted for whatever period you intended to keep it in Crete, up to a maximum of 6 months, and also a green card for the same period?

You are probably going to have to lie to a UK insurance company and pretend that the vehicle is in the UK, at whatever address is in the log book, in order to get new insurance. Once you have the new insurance tell them you intend to drive to Crete and ask them for a new green card. If they ever find out that you have lied then the insurance would be invalid. If you tell them that the vehicle is in Crete and that is where it is normally kept I would be amazed if any company would insure it. If the vehicle has been here more than 6 months it is already here illegally.

Warwick

DobbyTheHouseElf

Postby DobbyTheHouseElf » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:18 pm

Kilkis wrote:
DobbyTheHouseElf wrote:Anyone recommend an insurance company for a UK reg van at a Crete address ?

I'm not sure what exactly that means? As far as I know you cannot have a UK registered vehicle registered to a Greek address. If it is UK registered the log book must contain a UK address. Presumably you had UK insurance based on that address before you came to Crete. I would have thought you would have made sure that insurance lasted for whatever period you intended to keep it in Crete, up to a maximum of 6 months, and also a green card for the same period?

You are probably going to have to lie to a UK insurance company and pretend that the vehicle is in the UK, at whatever address is in the log book, in order to get new insurance. Once you have the new insurance tell them you intend to drive to Crete and ask them for a new green card. If they ever find out that you have lied then the insurance would be invalid. If you tell them that the vehicle is in Crete and that is where it is normally kept I would be amazed if any company would insure it. If the vehicle has been here more than 6 months it is already here illegally.

Warwick

Already tried this but the insurance company sent the insurance documents to the UK address I was at previously for me to sign .I tried to get them sent to my brother to sign for me but it took too long and they cancelled the policy.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:53 pm

How quickly do they need it? You can DHL to Crete in about 3 days and DHL back in a similar time. That would cost around €50 each way. You might be able to do it quicker if you pay more.

I cannot think of any other way to do it. UK insurance companies are in the business of insuring UK registered cars normally kept in the UK. All their actuarial calculations go out the window if they start insuring cars kept in other countries. There may also be other legal restrictions on what they can do. Twenty years ago it was possible to insure a UK registered car with a Greek insurance company but that was made illegal a long time ago.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:05 pm

Yes that is the only option, get on to the insurance company , tell them your dilemma ,if they want your business they could send the papers out to you, issue a new green card so you can get it back to the UK ...

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:10 pm

Some 20 years ago I insured our UK reg car with a Greek company in Chania - Alpha I think it was. Had the insurance for about 1 year before legally importing the car and getting Greek plates (yes , we lived here all the time) and the insurance company just changed the reg no! Not sure you can do that any more but might we worth a try? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:06 pm

It was made illegal for a Greek company to insure a foreign registered car quite a few years ago, Bob.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:21 pm

If you succeed in getting the insurance in the first place you'll have the same rigmarole when it comes to renewal. I'd also be concerned if having to make a claim especially if it caused personal injury or worse.
I know a self-drive van can't legally be hired here so you can only rent a van along with a driver having an appropriate licence. Does someone owning a van (either UK or Greek registered) need a special permit/licence?

nigeljackson5

Postby nigeljackson5 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:52 pm

Call me cynical, but does anyone else think this may be the PDC company wanting to flee one island, to another very quickly, as they have done before.
It may be an option for them, before they are "invited" into the mountains, to meet "Mr Shepherd"
Warwick, please have a look at the Personal Delivery Crete Scam page on f/b. They may need the expertise, and wherewithal, of a person such as you, who has lived many years here, if you have the time.
It has happened to so many people I know, that they all cannot be lying

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:09 pm

I have no idea if the two threads are linked, Nigel. I can't view the Facebook group because I am not a Facebook member and have no intention to be one.

I doubt if my advice is very helpful in this case. As far as I can see if you are in Crete with a UK registered vehicle and no insurance then you are pretty much stuffed. The message is pretty clear. Do not bring a vehicle here for more than 6 months unless you intend to transfer the registration to Greece. Make sure that the insurance you have before you come covers more than the time you intend to be here including the green card. If you do intend to register it in Greece start the process the minute you enter the country.

As with all laws there are always people prepared to break them. Ask the people in the Apokoronas area with UK registered vehicles that have been here for years. Perhaps they could give advice on how they insure them?

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:24 pm

Some 20 years ago I insured our UK reg car with a Greek company in Chania - Alpha I think it was. Had the insurance for about 1 year before legally importing the car and getting Greek plates (yes , we lived here all the time) and the insurance company just changed the reg no! Not sure you can do that any more but might we worth a try? Bob.

In 2004 EU regulations about insurance changed, making it impossible to insure a car with foreign (to the country you are buying the insurance from) plates.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:46 pm

That makes sense, Jean. I wondered if the law here changed due to a new EU Regulation but I wasn't sure. Even back in 1997 I had a slight problem. My UK insurance only covered me for 1 month but getting Greek insurance back then was easy. I even used a letter from the UK company to get no-claims discount in Greece. The problem came when, after 6 months, I wanted to take the car back to the UK. For some reason that I never understood the Greek insurance company would not give me a green card. In the end a work colleague managed to get me cover from the Greek equivalent of the AA.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”