Heating oil price

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
stevemartin911

Heating oil price

Postby stevemartin911 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:13 pm

Just got back from the UK and need some heating oil, seems very expensive has the subsidy been removed again ?
What is the actual going rate on the island ?
I have looked back to see if I had missed a post on the subject but can't get previous pages at the moment only page one.
Thanks in advance

Kilkis

Re: Heating oil price

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:40 pm

The cheapest I can see it around Chania is €1.00 at the BP station at Παπαναστασίου 184, Χανιά 2821041910. The dearest seems to be around €1.07. I don't think it is anything to do with subsidies. Brent crude was around $55 per barrel this time last year. Now it is closer to $70. I am, surprised it is not more expensive. I was paying around €1.00 per litre last year.

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:07 am

Which subsidy? Heating oil is taxed, not subsidized.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:17 am

It has a lower tax than vehicle diesel so in a sense it is "subsidised". A few years ago the tax rate was increased to be closer to, but still less than, the rate for vehicle diesel but I don't think there have been any recent increases in the tax rate. Changes in price are purely being driven by the price of crude oil. Petrol and vehicle diesel prices are also higher today than they were a year ago for the same reason. Greece is quite good at tracking crude price both up and down while the UK always seems to act like a ratchet.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:29 am

Kilkis wrote: Changes in price are purely being driven by the price of crude oil.
Warwick

So cost of refining, cost of transportation (sea, land, oilpipe) and sypply/demand has no influence whatsoever on the price to the consumer? Not so in most other places but maybe so in Greece/Crete, I don't know.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:43 am

You do understand what the word "Change" means Mouche? Do you have any evidence that the cost of refining, cost of transportation (sea, land, oilpipe) have "changed" since last year? Yes supply/demand influences price. What do you think is causing the "change" in the price of crude oil. Worldwide the demand for crude oil has increased since last year and the supply hasn't increased significantly.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:32 pm

I forgot to include exchangerate usd/euro (or other local currencies). Has cost of refining, or price for refining, and transportation changed since last year (two weeks ago)? Yes it has.

What are the main components of the price of heating oil?

Heating oil price components. An illustration of a tanker truck divided into three segments showing the major components of residential heating oil prices averaged over 10 winters: Crude oil 56%, Refining 16%, Marketing and Distribution at 28%.
Click to enlarge »

The main cost components of the retail heating oil price for residential consumers are the

Cost of crude oil for refiners
Cost for refiners to produce heating oil
Costs to market, distribute, and deliver heating oil to consumers
Profits (and sometimes losses) of refiners, wholesalers, and local distributors

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/ind ... oil_prices

Maybe this is all wrong as Warwick knows best, not the market!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:25 pm

Where is the evidence that the cost of refining or the cost of distribution has "changed" and by how much between January 2017 and January 2018? Please supply a link.

Warwick

stevemartin911

Postby stevemartin911 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:27 pm

All sorted €1.05 per litre, for the last eight years he has posted the price of heating oil, when available, on his post in the same place, transpires he's run out of numbers for the sign so now it's not posted at all, the price I saw was for road diesel in the spot ' reserved ' for heating oil ...simples !

alansmithnl

Postby alansmithnl » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:51 pm

Just for curiosity, in terms of therms, how far does a litre of heating oil go? I know that's a broad question, but on average, for an average house, in an average winter- now don't split hairs on this - I'll.Be there in April.
Alan

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:18 am

Typically heating oil can provide a little over 10 kWh/litre but that doesn't really tell you anything useful. What you are interested in is what heat you can put into rooms and that depends on the efficiency of the boiler, the size and efficiency of the radiators and the losses in the pipes all of which are highly variable. In addition the amount you consume depends on what temperature differential you are trying to maintain between the inside and the outside, the surface area of all walls, ceilings, doors and windows, their thickness and their k value. Again all highly variable parameters and it is not a complete list. You can't even draw conclusions from practical experience. I have burnt as much as 2,000 l in a winter but I know people who consume about 500 l for a similar size and specification house.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:55 am

The answer the question deserved...........

Andrew

alansmithnl

Postby alansmithnl » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Well, we got there on the end! Maybe I'll just use the under floor electric heating instead........wait a minute, no, sod it, I'll just put on extra clothes in the winter!
Hmmm.........Alan

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:37 pm

i am on gas cheaper by far, 900 euros pa including cooking all year... :D
Dave H

Return to “General Discussion & News”