ATM withdrawal charges for prepaid cards

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
tartanbeat
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:58 pm
Location: Chania

ATM withdrawal charges for prepaid cards

Postby tartanbeat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:18 pm

Apologies if this has been raised before - I had a wee look through the forum, and elsewhere, but couldn't find any more information on this.
I use a prepaid card (Caxton) for withdrawals here (have done for a few years), and have until very recently not been charged for ATM withdrawals.
It seems I have been getting charged 1.50 euros for each of the last few withdrawals - nothing is printed on the receipts, I only found out from checking my transactions online. Might have to stop smaller withdrawals now?!
Does anybody know if this is the norm for all Greek banks now?
Many thanks, Iain
Slainte, Iain

Carolina
Site Admin
Posts: 2897
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:53 pm
Location: Chania, Crete
Contact:

Re: ATM withdrawal charges for prepaid cards

Postby Carolina » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:50 pm

I have a Caxton pre- paid currency card and have always been charged for ATM withdrawals here in Greece (1.50 pounds per withdrawal, not euros) .

peebee
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:07 am
Location: Kalyves

Re: ATM withdrawal charges for prepaid cards

Postby peebee » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:43 pm

I have had one for around 10 years and have never been charged for a withdrawal.

Carolina
Site Admin
Posts: 2897
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:53 pm
Location: Chania, Crete
Contact:

Re: ATM withdrawal charges for prepaid cards

Postby Carolina » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:48 pm

Had mine for about two years and always been charged for withdrawals, but I've just realised that mine is a Caxton 'Business' prepaid debit card.

tartanbeat
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:58 pm
Location: Chania

Re: ATM withdrawal charges for prepaid cards

Postby tartanbeat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:12 pm

peebee wrote:I have had one for around 10 years and have never been charged for a withdrawal.


I've never been charged before either, hence I'm thinking this is a very recent thing. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this, or if one knows of a change of Greek banking policy.
I'm in Chania, so I can try out different banks' ATMs, but Bank of Chania definitely charged me today, and nothing on the receipt.
Slainte, Iain

peebee
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:07 am
Location: Kalyves

Re: ATM withdrawal charges for prepaid cards

Postby peebee » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:10 pm

tartanbeat wrote:
peebee wrote:I have had one for around 10 years and have never been charged for a withdrawal.


I've never been charged before either, hence I'm thinking this is a very recent thing. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this, or if one knows of a change of Greek banking policy.
I'm in Chania, so I can try out different banks' ATMs, but Bank of Chania definitely charged me today, and nothing on the receipt.

Used mine less than 3 weeks ago, always use Piraeus as it's my local one.

Kilkis
Posts: 9087
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: ATM withdrawal charges for prepaid cards

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:36 pm

It is normal in Greece for a withdrawal at an ATM of a bank, other than the bank that issued the card, to be charged €1.50 whatever the amount withdrawn. For example I have an Alpha Bank Debit Card. If I use it at any Alpha Bank ATM I am not charged. If I use it at an ATM of any other bank, e.g Piraeus, NBG, Eurobank etc then I am charged. The only exception that I am aware of are the cooperative banks who do not charge for withdrawals from ATMs of other banks in the group. For example a Cooperative Bank of Chania card will not be charged for withdrawal from a Pankritia ATM. I have no idea how this works with pre-paid cards but it would be logical to treat them the same way. If you use a pre-paid card in a Piraeus ATM and the card was not issued by Piraeus then I would expect it to be charged. I would have thought any bank would be able to tell you?

Warwick

tartanbeat
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:58 pm
Location: Chania

Re: ATM withdrawal charges for prepaid cards

Postby tartanbeat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:08 pm

Thank you for the replies.
I'll try the Piraeus bank next time, and then check my balance again.
As I said, I've been using this prepaid card for a few years here now, and in a variety of banks around Chania, and never been charged a transaction fee, so something has definitely changed recently.
Thanks again.
Slainte, Iain

tartanbeat
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:58 pm
Location: Chania

Re: ATM withdrawal charges for prepaid cards

Postby tartanbeat » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:04 pm

tartanbeat wrote:Thank you for the replies.
I'll try the Piraeus bank next time, and then check my balance again.
As I said, I've been using this prepaid card for a few years here now, and in a variety of banks around Chania, and never been charged a transaction fee, so something has definitely changed recently.
Thanks again.


I used Piraeus Bank for a withdrawal this week, and NO charges - now my ATM of choice.
Thanks, Iain
Slainte, Iain

Houmeri91
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:24 pm
Location: Perama

Re: ATM withdrawal charges for prepaid cards

Postby Houmeri91 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:46 pm

Hi just a quick question , personally I use Smart Currency ( rate always seems pretty keen to me )and send it to my Euro Bank account for Euro's and the intention was to carry on when we move over later this year . The Caxton card what are the advantages of that over just using a a currency broker as the rate didn't seem particularly competitive roughly the same as picking up cash at the Post Office in the UK ?

peebee
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:07 am
Location: Kalyves

Re: ATM withdrawal charges for prepaid cards

Postby peebee » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:25 am

I used to use Smart Currency Exchange, but found that CurrencyFair give a better rate - usually about 0.5 cents below the Forex rate, with a fixed €3 transaction fee.
I also have a Caxton card which I only use in emergencies because the rate is not as good.

Kilkis
Posts: 9087
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: ATM withdrawal charges for prepaid cards

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:31 am

One reason I prefer the peer-to-peer exchanges like Currency Fair and Transfer Wise rather than commercial Forex companies, in addition to their good rates, is that you can see exactly what you are going to get live on the site. Most of the Forex companies seem to display the spot rate and you have to get a quote to find out what you will actually receive. The commercial Forex companies are still a lot better than the banks though.

Warwick

tartanbeat
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:58 pm
Location: Chania

Re: ATM withdrawal charges for prepaid cards

Postby tartanbeat » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:57 pm

Houmeri91 wrote:Hi just a quick question , personally I use Smart Currency ( rate always seems pretty keen to me )and send it to my Euro Bank account for Euro's and the intention was to carry on when we move over later this year . The Caxton card what are the advantages of that over just using a a currency broker as the rate didn't seem particularly competitive roughly the same as picking up cash at the Post Office in the UK ?


Hi there,
I don't have a Greek bank account, and I like to travel a lot in Europe and elsewhere.
I know the Caxton rates aren't the best, but do stand up well against other prepaid cards (it was better than the PO when I got it, but I haven't compared rates for a while). What I like about it is that I can use it at ATMs anywhere in the world (it is not just a 'Eurocard'), and I'm very rarely charged a transaction fee.
Cheers, Iain
Slainte, Iain


Return to “General Discussion & News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests