Buying a Motorbike

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
jackdaw

Buying a Motorbike

Postby jackdaw » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:30 pm

I'm thinking of buying a bike. I imagine that if I buy from a dealer they will lead me through the process.. But what if I buy from a private seller. Apart from handing over my cash, what else do I need to do? What should I expect from the vendor?

Jean

Re: Buying a Motorbike

Postby Jean » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:17 pm

KEP will help you do the paperwork and will tell you exactly what you need.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:48 am

I bought mine through a second hand dealer who was simply acting as an agent for the private owner, i.e. the dealer advertised the bike and had it in a showroom but didn't own the bike. When I agreed to buy it he contacted the owner who turned up with the log book. We went to a bank together and paid the transfer of ownership fee. We then went to the vehicle centre together and he dealt with the official there. All I had to do was produce my passport, residence permit and my AFM. I gave him the cash, he gave me the log book in my name and I collected the bike. All very simple. In theory you can pay the fee at the vehicle centre but you have to use a machine and it often doesn't work so it is easier to pay at a bank first. Alternatively, as Jean said, KEP will do it all for you but again both seller and buyer will need to go to KEP together so no big advantage. I did that both selling a car and buying another, both private transactions.

Warwick

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:52 am

Many thanks Jean and Warwick

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:59 pm

Transfer of ownership fee. How much is that please?
Vehicle centre. Is that the building in Chania where I paid my Road tax?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:11 am

The transfer of ownership fee depends on the engine capacity. The bank will tell you if you show them the log book. Probably around €50 for a mid size motorbike.

The vehicle centre is off the Souda Road. Going out of town, shortly before you get to the IKA building, there is a set of traffic lights where two roads go off to the right in a sort of V. Go up the left hand arm of the V until a wide road joins it from the right. The vehicle centre is on the right shortly after that through some gates. Change of ownership is in the last building of the first block on the left. At least it was the last time I went a few years ago.

Warwick

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:47 am

Thanks again.

Return to “General Discussion & News”