Friend or Foe?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
kvsteele

Friend or Foe?

Postby kvsteele » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:18 am

Did anyone else notice? Yesterday the quiet of our village in eastern Crete (if you exclude the usual sheep, chickens and dogs) was disturbed by a jet or two screaming over our skies, flying quite low, early afternoon. I do ask myself if these were Greeks full of P*** and v******or something a bit more sinister. Any ideas?
Moved onto Crete finally...It's been a long wait

Kilkis

Re: Friend or Foe?

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:40 pm

Might be F16s from Chania. I have no idea how far they roam but they are up and about pretty much every day. They usually seem to fly in 3s, not necessarily close together, e.g. two fly past followed a short time later by a third. I presume they practise combat manoeuvres? Turkey, the presumed potential attacker, also predominantly use F16s so the practise is realistic. I would be surprised if they were intercepting Turkish planes entering Greek airspace, since that mostly happens in the eastern Aegean, but it isn't impossible?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:06 pm

Kilkis wrote:They usually seem to fly in 3s, not necessarily close together, e.g. two fly past followed a short time later by a third.
Leader, wingman, 'tail-end-Charlie'
I presume they practise combat manoeuvres?
As I've been informed by a former Greek Air Force colonel.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:29 pm

Yeah it a weekly thing around here out East , they fly down the valley very low and buzz the nato radar base up on the hill ..sometime two planes and sometime three ...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:08 pm

filippos wrote:...Leader, wingman, 'tail-end-Charlie'...

You may be correct but I would envisage that as a closer formation. The third plane seems to be quite a distance behind the other two.

Jeffstclair wrote:... they fly down the valley very low and buzz the nato radar base up on the hill ...

I have no specific information but it is a possibility that it is not just a radar base. If that is the case then they may be practising different types of manoeuvres.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:21 pm

Kilkis wrote:
filippos wrote:...Leader, wingman, 'tail-end-Charlie'...

You may be correct but I would envisage that as a closer formation. The third plane seems to be quite a distance behind the other two.

Warwick

In my own mind with absolutely no experience of the air force, my thought has always been - a couple of trainees, and a more experienced pilot behind them to help them improve their flying skills etc.

Probably way off the mark, but the 3rd man always seems to be observing the team , rather than being part of it. Close enough, but not actually following the course the other two are taking; having a look side-ways on? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “General Discussion & News”