Can I borrow my car..

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.

Can I borrow my car..

Postby api » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:19 am

Hey all,

I'm buying a car in couple of months, and a question has risen..
Can I borrow my (Greek registered) car to my (non-Greek) family members when they come and visit me?

I tried the search engine, but found nothing.

Re: Can I borrow my car..

Postby bobscott » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:23 am

Almost sure you can lend your car to family (or anyone else) if they have a valid driving licence which is recognised in Greece. Unless things have changed recently, it's the car that is insured, not the driver (although the recent move by an insurance company not to reinsure a customer over the age of 70 when they changed the car, rather casts that in some doubt). Ask your insurance agent, to be certain. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Re: Can I borrow my car..

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:46 am

Also check for lower age restrictions. If you are a mature driver the cost of your insurance will reflect that fact. There will almost certainly be an age restriction such that you cannot allow anyone below a certain age, e.g. 23, to drive the car.

Anyone with a vehicle registered to a business should also be aware that only the owner(s) of the business can drive the vehicle on a normal licence. Anybody else needs a professional licence to drive it legally. This might be relevant to those who have registered their olive trees as a business and bought a pick-up registered to the business.

Return to “General Discussion & News”