Abyss.

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Brian

Abyss.

Postby Brian » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Latest, negotiations will not progress until the Irish border issue is settled satisfactorily - the abyss beckons!

bobscott

Re: Abyss.

Postby bobscott » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:44 pm

It's been pretty obvious from the start Brian. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

BST

Postby BST » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:21 pm

I hope they just give up! :roll:

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:01 pm

What a mess, no wonder Cameron got out...
Dave H

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:53 pm

Whatever your politics, whatever your view on Brexit, you must regard Cameron as a disgrace. To create a mess and then leave without cleaning it up is extremely poor form.

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:42 pm

The problem with that, Guy, is that people like Cameron trying to put right their foul up are highly likely to make things even worse.

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:11 pm

That’s an interesting way of looking at it, Filippos.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:26 pm

Personally I would rephrase it slightly:

"The problem with that, Guy, is that people like {insert the name of anyone in government} trying to put right their foul up are guaranteed to make things even worse."

Warwick

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:34 pm

Right in one Warwick, trust in politicians no longer exists, I for one wonder why this has happened, just after WW!! we trusted our representatives in government but sadly somewhere along the line it went wrong...
Dave H

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:18 am

It may well be true that it’s hard to clear up a mess you’ve made, especially if you are a politician. Nonetheless, the fact remains: it is extremely poor form not to do so, until you have been told unequivocally to stop. What you should never do is run away. I strongly feel this is a requisite of personal behaviour - it’s certainly what I am bringing up my children to understand. Not to do so is cowardice and that is unforgivable.

mouche

Postby mouche » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:09 am

Why not become a politician and make things right or even better; do the right thing from the very beginning? problem solved! :roll:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:54 am

Bill Bonner, a financial publisher whose thoughts I regularly read, describes it in terms of deals. What works for people and the economy are win-win deals, which are typically what you get in true free market capitalism. An everyday example would be a street market. There are lots of willing sellers and lots of willing buyers. There is complete price discovery as every stall displays its prices. You can quickly survey the whole market, compare the quality and price of what's on offer and make a decision who to buy from or not to buy at all. If you do buy that is a win-win deal. You have got what you want at a price you are happy with and the seller has sold his/her produce at a price that they are happy with.

All government deals are win-lose deals. One group benefits while another loses. The Trump tariffs on steel are a typical example. US steel producers win. Their product becomes more competitive compared to imports and so they sell more and make more profits. Everybody else loses. Product manufacturers and construction companies have to pay more for their steel and pass that extra cost onto the consumer. In virtually every government deal an insider group wins and ordinary people lose.

Generally governments do most good when they do nothing and just let people get on with their lives with minimum interference. I'm no historian but I think it was largely the view of the Roman empire and the Ottoman empire, which were pretty successful for very long periods of time. You could do virtually whatever you wanted as long as you paid your taxes. Unfortunately doing nothing is an anathema to anybody in government today.

Warwick

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:12 pm

I don’t think it’s always right that a government should do nothing. When you come into government, there are things that previous governments will have done (or not done) that you will think need changing, and over time in government there will be events that need a response - the poisoning in Salisbury for example. The challenge is knowing when to stop.

Return to “General Discussion & News”