Greek Driving Licence

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
bobscott

Re: Greek Driving Licence

Postby bobscott » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:15 am

A Brit friend recently renewed her Greek driving licence and was allowed to keep the old one until the new one arrived. Previously one had to surrender the old licence and carry around a piece of paper from KEP to say that one's licence renewal was in process. Small change to the rules? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:59 am

How recent, Bob? I last renewed my Greek licence in February 2017 and had to surrender the old one with the application.

Do you still get the paper confirming that you have applied and submitted everything necessary? If not what are the rules about when you must apply? Unfortunately new Greek licences are issued from the date you apply, not from when the old licence expired, unless that has changed as well? With the old system you could still apply close to the expiry date because the paper would act as a valid licence after the date of expiry of the old licence. If all you have now is the old licence presumably it is no longer valid after the expiry date on it so you would have to apply much earlier to allow for production time of the new licence?

For previous renewals I have always had to apply much earlier than the expiry date because I had trips to the UK booked and needed to be sure I got the new licence before I flew. Next time I was planning to apply much closer to the expiry date but perhaps that will not now be possible?

Anybody got further information about the driving test needed at 74? Is it just the practical test or the full practical and theory test?

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:12 pm

Will check on the details Warwick. As to driving test, I am 79 and changed my licence when I was in my 60's. No sniff of a driving test. Something else new! Hoping to renew licence (due next year) before my 80th in order to avoid a visit to the trick cyclist. Bob.

WilfySwarez

Postby WilfySwarez » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:08 pm

When we picked up our licences earlier this week we simply signed for our new Greek ones and handed over our UK licences. The lady in the office told us this was the procedure when we applied.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:54 pm

I asked a Greek friend today and he said that there had been talk of introducing a test at 74 but he doesn't think the new law has been implemented. If I find out anything else I will report back.

Warwick

PS I know a "good" trick cyclist, Bob, if you need one. I put "good" in quotes since he found me to be sane and most of my friends are still laughing at that. He was on the IKA list of approved medics so I presume he will be on the driving licence list.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:30 pm

According to an ekathimerini article the requirement to sit a new driving test every three years when you reach 74 and every two years when you reach 80 has now been implemented. It does apply to drivers who swapped an EU licence from a different country for a Greek one. At least we don't need to take the written test.

Warwick

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Hmmm. I know the picture of police stopping a nice new car on a broad highway is merely illustrative, but can we expect a rigorous enforcement of the new law in the villages, where old boys in battered and probably uninsured pick-up trucks drive straight at you in the middle of the road?

No, I don't think so either.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:03 pm

mixos the only thing you really need is some beads and a cross hanging from your inside mirror then you can overtake or even undertake on blind bends belt and braces and all that :wink:

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:49 pm

Kilkis wrote:According to an ekathimerini article the requirement to sit a new driving test every three years when you reach 74 and every two years when you reach 80 has now been implemented. It does apply to drivers who swapped an EU licence from a different country for a Greek one. At least we don't need to take the written test.

Warwick

I missed the ekathimerini article but just saw this one http://apokoronasnews.gr/drivers-will-have-to-pass-fresh-test-after-age-74/

It doesn't bode well for the future. For starters, one assumes the best 'trigger' for the implementation of the process for any individual is the application to renew the licence.

What delay is this going to incur in renewing a licence? A month, 3 months, 6 months? How on earth is the 'testing system' going to be administered?

Next, what effect is this going to have on those who wish to hire a car in another country? It is entirely feasible that the Greek licensing authorities, or KEP for instance, can issue a paper much as is done now, declaring that the issue of a new licence is pending, but that will not cut any ice outside of Greece.

Whilst sympathising with the aim of the legislation, it is going to raise countless problematic issues. Like, for instance, my Greek licence runs out in March 2019. I will be 80 in June 2019. I am planning an extended holiday in the UK in June and part of that entails hiring a car for a minimum of 3 weeks. Under the previous rules, that would be no real problem. Now, however, the future plans are in limbo. Will I be able to do that? Not without a valid licence! Until I know whether or not I can hire a car (it could all be done on buses, trains and taxis I guess) , what do I do about booking flights, accommodation etc in the UK?

A real bugger's muddle and yet another example of the inept way in which legislation is enacted in this country, with little or no forethought considered in the process.

Any suggestions??? Bob.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:25 pm

bobscott wrote:Any suggestions??? Bob.

I would be inclined to sort it out early rather than waiting until March. OK it loses you a bit off the validity time of the licence but that is pretty small compared to screwing up a holiday. Also I would go to KEP and ask them if they know how it will work. For example:

1 Will they still be able to administer the process or will you need to go directly to the licence centre*?
    2 What order do you have to do things? For example do the medical and eye test, then take the driving test and then complete the application?
    3 How long does it take to get a driving test, i.e. is there a long waiting list?
    4 Are there deadlines? For example if you take the medical and the eye test and then cannot get a driving test for a number of weeks will the results of the medical and eye test still be valid?
    5 What happens if you have a licence covering two classes of vehicle? Do you have to retake the test on both, e.g. car and motorcycle or just one.

It might also be worth going to a driving school and asking them for advice. I think I am a competent driver having had two minor accidents in over 50 years of driving, one caused by the car in front turning into a no-entry, realising his mistake and backing out across a fast dual carriageway. Being competent and satisfying a driving tester, while related, are not necessarily identical. I think I would be inclined to take a couple of lessons immediately before the test to find out what is required and the various little wrinkles that inevitably require knowing.

I've got over a year before mine is due so the system has got time to bed in before it affects me.

Warwick

* I think in your case you will need to go directly to the driving centre anyway Bob because it is effectively your 80 year renewal and that cannot be done at KEP. For us spring chickens that may or may not be the case.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Thanks Warwick. Sound advice. As you say, lose a bit of time on the licence but hopefully avoid hassle over holidays! Will keep you posted. Bob.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:22 am

Spoke yesterday with a guy who runs a Chania driving school. He was adamant that there is no law about the test for over 74-year olds. It has been proposed, he said, but is not yet law. I thought I had read last week that it had become law. Mmmmmm Bob.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:44 am

There is a much more detailed article in the Greek version of ekathimerini. It is described as a Ministerial Decision and talks about: "with its circular to the competent directorates and services." The article references a new law, 4530/18, which was published on 30 March 2018. You can download that law as a pdf here. It is a rather long document at 64 pages of quite dense and incomprehensible Greek legalise. I cannot find a reference to 74 years in the pdf so perhaps the Ministerial Decision is an amendment to that law or a detailed interpretation of some general requirement in that law.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks Warwick. I think I will pass on the 64 pages of incomprehensible! Will wait for developments and keep you posted. Bob

Return to “General Discussion & News”