Greek Driving Licence

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
marmite

Re: Greek Driving Licence

Postby marmite » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:42 pm

Applied for my Greek licence at the Licencing office in Hania today. Very easy and quick process. A visit to KEP was required though to get the e-ΠΑΡΑΒΟΛΟ followed by a trip to the bank to pay the fees. To make the whole process even quicker I suggest visiting KEP first who will give you the correct paperwork you need for the bank. Then go to the bank and then the Licencing office once you have all the required papers.

At the licencing office :

1 They completed a M15 application form, which I had to sign in front of the person at the licensing office.
2 They completed a Legal Declaration, ΥΠΕΥΘΥΝΗ ΔΗΛΩΣΗ, stating my address, my ΑΦΜ and declaring that I had not submitted an application to any
other office which I also had to sign in front of the person at the licensing office.
3 My passport and a photocopy of my passport.
4 My driving licence and a photocopy of licence.
5 Two photographs of a suitable size. A photographer will know if you tell him/her that it is for a Greek driving licence.
6 Receipt from the bank that the fees have been paid - 30 Euro in my case. First I needed to go to KEP to get the correct form e-ΠΑΡΑΒΟΛΟ which
KEP completed with my details.
7. A Residence Permit issued at least 95 days before the application for the driving licence.
8. My AFM (tax number) on a suitable form. A tax return form would be acceptable.

They will phone me when my Greek licence is ready - they said in about a month. Then I return and hand in my English licence in exchange for my Greek one.

Few notes:
-If you want to pay the fees and return to the licencing office to process your application the same day then you must pay the fees at the Ethniki Bank. It is the only one which will show the amount has been paid that day apparently.
- The fees vary according to the age of the applicant.
- The process also varies according to age of applicant. As others have wrote about doctors certificates etc I will not repeat the info.
- They did ask for an electric bill or similar to prove residence. I did not have one and she shrugged her shoulders and said nevermind then!

Hope this is helpful.

mythos master

Postby mythos master » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:08 pm

Good luck,been waiting since april,only to be told today that the delay/problem is in uk
a pessimist is an optimist with experience

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:28 pm

I did mine 2 weeks ago. I was told that I would probably have to wait for about 5 or 6 months for my Greek Licence. There is apparently a big delay!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:34 pm

Did they say where the delay was? Normally the bottle neck is the man who makes the laminated licences. As far as I can tell there is only one machine and one person doing this. That delay is usually between 1 and 2 months. A predicted delay of 5 to 6 months suggests something else is causing it.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:17 am

Kilkis wrote:Did they say where the delay was? Normally the bottle neck is the man who makes the laminated licences. As far as I can tell there is only one machine and one person doing this. That delay is usually between 1 and 2 months. A predicted delay of 5 to 6 months suggests something else is causing it.

Warwick

Our licence applications are in. Expiry date is 9 March and we got a paper from KEP allowing us to drive in Greece without actual licence. Then we got another paper from the licencing authority which says we can drive until 9 April without a licence. During the interval between now and then, we are being told to expect a call from them to fix up the test date/time. Have until now assumed that would be it, but I wonder now if even though we get through the test, delivery of the actual licence may be delayed. I need mine in June to hire a car in the UK. .....................something else to worry about! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:18 am

No, they didn't say where the delay was, this was at my local KEP, in the Heraklion area. She did however say that the delay is longer now, it only used to be around 2-3 months!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:32 am

When I swapped my UK licence for a Greek licence it did take a few months ,I was told the delay was due to DVLC in Swansea being slow at processing the licence details back to Greece . However when I had to renew my Greek licence last November 'cos I turned 65 (how did that happen)...I did the photos , eye test, health check, took the papers to the licensing office in Sitia and Mario said" your new licence will be here in 2 or 3 weeks", 14 days later I was in town for another reason so I popped in and there it was....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:07 am

I changed mine back in the day when they were still using the red, cardboard-booklet style licences. They were issued by the local driving centre so it took three days from application to picking up my new licence. I suppose having to wait several months for the new laminated type is what they call progress?

Warwick

Phild

Postby Phild » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:57 am

Kilkis wrote:Did they say where the delay was?

As far as I can tell there is only one machine and one person doing this

Warwick

It might be something to do with that poor chap/lady being snowed under by applications from Brits trying to change their license.
...Just maybe...

I am now hoping for an extension (or preferably cancellation) of article 50 so that we can get the Greek licenses. Then, next stop, Greek citizenship! :D
----
Phil
----

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:47 pm

Our local KEP handled this very smoothly this morning. The one catch was that we hadn't checked on the correct size for the photos and our spares from a UK passport application were too small. Easily solved.

They also confirmed that we can pay the fee online.

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:58 am

I am of the age when a Driving test is required for me to obtain a Greek Licence.
The lady clerk in the Driving Licence Office, Agios Nikolaos,kept telling me to keep my completed documents and come back in a month as the test is currently not possible Every month I reported, "come back next month" was always the reply.
On Friday 25 Jan. I advised the lady that after March 29 my UK licence would be invalid in the EU. She told me to go and pay the 50 euro fee, but as the invoice document was out of date to get a new one from the KEP, pay the money and return on Monday morning.
I paid the 50 euro via my On-line banking software. Reported to her on the Monday and I have eventually been given a temporary licence. She told me to return one week before the Temporary licence expired in order to be given a new three month licence. She was of the opinion that it would be at least 6 months before I could take the test.
My UK licence does not expire until October 2019, it was not surrendered.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:05 pm

Just had a call from the Mixanoloiko (licencing office) in Chania. My Greek driving licence is ready for me to go and pick up.

Took just over three weeks!

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:18 pm

Carolina wrote:Just had a call from the Mixanoloiko (licencing office) in Chania. My Greek driving licence is ready for me to go and pick up.

Took just over three weeks!

Crikey! Something must have gone wrong......

Andrew

peebee

Postby peebee » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:34 am

GlennB wrote:Our local KEP handled this very smoothly this morning. The one catch was that we hadn't checked on the correct size for the photos and our spares from a UK passport application were too small. Easily solved.

Do you know what size they should be ? asking because I normally print my own.

altohb

Postby altohb » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:38 pm

peebee wrote:
GlennB wrote:Our local KEP handled this very smoothly this morning. The one catch was that we hadn't checked on the correct size for the photos and our spares from a UK passport application were too small. Easily solved.

Do you know what size they should be ? asking because I normally print my own.

4cm x 6cm

Return to “General Discussion & News”