Greek Driving Licence

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
GlennB

Re: Greek Driving Licence

Postby GlennB » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:40 pm

60mm high by 40mm wide. The head (top of head to chin) should occupy 31-35mm within the total. The usual passport photo rules apply regarding background, glasses etc.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:11 pm

peebee wrote:...Do you know what size they should be ? asking because I normally print my own.

If you intend to print your own, note the third and fourth bullet points under A on the official technical specification. This is for a Greek passport but, like the UK, I think the specification for passport and driving licence photos is the same in Greece.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:50 pm

Kilkis wrote:
peebee wrote:...Do you know what size they should be ? asking because I normally print my own.
If you intend to print your own, note the third and fourth bullet points under A on the official technical specification. This is for a Greek passport but, like the UK, I think the specification for passport and driving licence photos is the same in Greece.
Warwick

". Must be produced or printed on high quality white photographic paper, .......
    ". ....shouldn't have dots (pixel - raster) or be produced on ink jet or laser printers."
That's will surely mean that the photos will need to be professionally done. I don't know anyone who has anything other than an inkjet or laser printer. I suspect that many professionals also use only inkjet of laser printers. For exhibition purposes I have prints made by a professional print shop in Xania and they have only inkjet machines. The only firms I know that will provide true photographic prints on light sensitive paper are online and expensive, (proportionately very expensive for small sizes).

The only way I can imagine the average person can have a photo accepted is that:
    different rules apply to driving licences as opposed to Passports
    the authorities turn a blind eye to their own regulations
    the specs have been changed and the website hasn't been updated
    photo shops providing Passport/Licence photo services have dedicated printers for photographic paper
    the Passport/Licence authorities accept electronic photo files from which they print (as the UK Passport service does in some cases)

Most of the above are highly unlikely

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:02 pm

For what it's worth, both of us here have renewed passports and UK driving licences using home-taken photos printed on an inkjet printer, ditto with this Greek licence application. Nobody has objected so far.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:02 pm

I think some shops producing passport photos commercially use a dye-sublimation photo printer, which is effectively not pixelated despite being fed a pixelated image from a digital camera? I think it is the same technology used in photo-booth equipment. I could be wrong.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:07 pm

Seems a lot of fuss and bother to avoid paying €10 and waiting for 10 minutes! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

peebee

Postby peebee » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:34 pm

bobscott wrote:Seems a lot of fuss and bother to avoid paying €10 and waiting for 10 minutes! Bob.

Not a lot of bother, but saving a drive to and from the shop, plus photos for 2 people, probably saves around €25 and takes less than 10 minutes.
I did a whole A4 sheet of photos for the both of us when I left the UK, they have been used for IKA books, residence permits, firearms permits, various ID cards. Probably saved the thick end of €100 over the last few years.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:45 pm

Kilkis wrote:I think some shops producing passport photos commercially use a dye-sublimation photo printer, which is effectively not pixelated despite being fed a pixelated image from a digital camera? I think it is the same technology used in photo-booth equipment. I could be wrong.
I think you're right, Warwick. Some (but not all) Passport photo service shops do have appropriate printers. As an aside, the UK Passport photo size (35mm x 45mm) is that generated by photo booths in the UK.

Assuming that the Passport/licencing departments here do accept inkjet or laser prints they're either ignoring their own specs* or can't tell the difference between a photo that meets the specs and one produced by inkjet or laser. (In most cases self-produced pics will be inkjet as that's what most people have at home.)

* If I'd had to bet which of my earlier suggestions was most likely that's where my money would have been with an each way bet on not spotting the difference.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:29 pm

bobscott wrote:Seems a lot of fuss and bother to avoid paying €10 and waiting for 10 minutes! Bob.
€10, Bob? I'm currently renewing mine and couldn't be a***d to set up tripod/camera/appropriate background for up-to-date selfie, resize photo (UK size is not any standard photo aspect ratio) etc*. Going to Xania for multiple reasons so went to photo shop about 80m past the bus station. 10mins and €6 on my way with 4 pics and a free pocket calendar. Also had an interesting chat with the owner about his many photos adorning the walls of the shop. Well worth €6 to avoid the hassle.

UK Passport office is fussy re. size of subject within frame, background either light grey/light cream, photo taken within prior month (how they tell when taken is anyone's guess), not cut from a larger photo, blah, blah.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:24 pm

filippos wrote:
€10, Bob? I'm currently renewing mine and couldn't be a***d to set up tripod/camera/appropriate background for up-to-date selfie, resize photo (UK size is not any standard photo aspect ratio) etc*. Going to Xania for multiple reasons so went to photo shop about 80m past the bus station. 10mins and €6 on my way with 4 pics and a free pocket calendar. Also had an interesting chat with the owner about his many photos adorning the walls of the shop. Well worth €6 to avoid the hassle.

UK Passport office is fussy re. size of subject within frame, background either light grey/light cream, photo taken within prior month (how they tell when taken is anyone's guess), not cut from a larger photo, blah, blah.

Well done Phil. By going to Chania you saved €4 and I have to agree that I wouldn't have used that amount in the extra journey. On the other hand, I saved about 45 minutes (parking etc). Swings and roundabouts I guess. Bob.

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:29 pm

bobscott wrote:..... On the other hand, I saved about 45 minutes (parking etc). Swings and roundabouts I guess. Bob.
Do you mean, Bob, that after all your years here you don't just leave your car near* where you want to go?

* (say, within 20m)

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:40 pm

filippos wrote:
bobscott wrote:..... On the other hand, I saved about 45 minutes (parking etc). Swings and roundabouts I guess. Bob.
Do you mean, Bob, that after all your years here you don't just leave your car near* where you want to go?

* (say, within 20m)

'Er indoors does comment that I am getting very Greek with my car, but I generally prefer to park it somewhere legally in Chania and do a bit of walking. Supposed to be good for me!!! Bob.

Sinkingslowly

Postby Sinkingslowly » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:37 pm

I've just been to the local licencing office to start the process of exchanging my driving licence and the very nice lady suggested that I don't bother changing as the Greek licence would only include groups A and B with all the other codes B1, C1, D1E etc not being carried over into the Greek system.
Has anyone else come across this or should I just assume that she was feeling a bit busy?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:55 pm

I am not sure about B1 but in general she is correct. Categories such as C1 and D1 require a "Professional Licence" in Greece, i.e. a bit like an HGV but without the H. To get a Professional Licence you have to take an additional test, renew it every 5 years, get a medical and eye test at each renewal etc even when you are under 65. A professional licence is also needed to drive a car registered to a company unless you are the owner of that company. My Greek licence shows A2, A and B. The UK licence I exchanged for it also showed C1, D1, B+E, C1E, D1E, F, K, L, N and P. All gone.

Do those categories matter to you? If you continue with a UK licence how hard is going to be for you to get an IDP every 3 years? If at some point in the future you are forced to exchange it how do you feel about taking the full Greek driving test, including the written part in Greek? You need to weigh up all the pros and cons.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:51 pm

Yes when I changed my licence a bit ago I lost all the categories apart from a car and a car with a a trailer ...I thought well I'm hardly gonna miss driving a road roller , 12 seat minibus , 7.5 ton truck , etc etc ....and all the other things I'm never need to drive again ....but I might do the motorbike test this year ....

Return to “General Discussion & News”