Greek Driving Licence

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Carolina
Site Admin

Re: Greek Driving Licence

Postby Carolina » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:10 pm

bobscott wrote:Just one point to remember that I don't think is covered above. If you change to a Greek licence, that is renewable every 3 years
Only for those over 65yrs, Bob. Normally the Greek plastic licence is renewable every 15 years up to age 65 when it is then every 3 years.

moved 2 crete wrote:I changed mine 2 years ago, no translation needed, just a medical that was short and sweet and of course eyesight test, no driving test needed,
Again, I think the medical/eye sight test is only required for those over 65?

altohb wrote:On point 4 - yes, you do have to have an official translation if you have a plastic licence. Our lawyer did ours and the price certainly wasn't unreasonable.

Did you have to translate the old green part as well ? Or just the plastic licence?

altohb

Postby altohb » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:14 am

Just the plastic bit. NB it is worth remembering, too, that the plastic type British licence is only valid for 10 years, so if anyone has gone past that date the procedure is a little different, though not impossible!

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:45 am

The 10 years thing is to update the photo ID. Lots of people miss that, especially we oldies as the date of the photo renewal is different from the renewal date of the licence. Until the 70 year renewal age came into force I think licences didn't have an expiry date. Knocking around somewhere I have my original licence, the provisional one converted to full, which, as a 'lifetime' licence didn't have an expiry date.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:35 am

As far as I am aware UK licences have always had some sort of expiry date, at least since the 1960s. I still have most of my old licences. The first one was issued on 2 May 1967 and shows an expiry date of 1 May 1970. The next one was issued on 2 May 1970 and shows an expiry date of 1 May 1973. I don't have the one issued in 1973 but I think it must have had an expiry date of 1 May 1976 because I have one issued 2 May 1976. All of these are in the form of a small, bound, multi-page booklet with a rough red cardboard cover. The 1976 booklet doesn't show an expiry date but I also have a paper part, about 13 cm wide and 25 cm long, showing an expiry date of 1 May 2016. It is valid from 2 May 1976 but I am not sure if it was issued with the booklet or subsequently. So renewal must have changed from every 3 years to when you are 70 at some time between 1973 and 1976. I then have a large green licence that shows the same validity date as from 2 May 1976 but, given the address on it, it must have been issued in the early 1990s. It also shows an expiry date of 2016. I changed that to Greek licence in 2005 and that was a folded red cardboard licence with my photo stapled into it.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:51 am

I'll have to find my original one which was issued between '59 and '61.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:58 pm

Actually, thinking about it some more, the one issued on 2 May 1967 wasn't my first one. My first full licence was for a motorbike in either 1963 or 1964 and then my first full car one in 1965. I must have lost those at some point. I think my first provisional licence was probably issued on 2 May 1963.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:26 pm

My UK green and pink paper european communities model , driving Licence licence only has two dates on it Valid from ** ** 1980 (the year I passed my car test) and valid until ** ** 2023 (my 70th birthday)...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:21 pm

The earlier red booklet style licences also only showed a "valid from" and a "valid to" date but there was a difference compared to the later paper licences. When you renewed a red booklet one, the date it was valid from changed as each one was issued. The "valid from" date was effectively the issued date. When they changed to the green paper licence, if you ever had to renew it, e.g. for a change of address, it still showed the original valid from date on the first green paper licence issued. I cannot comment on the UK pink paper ones since I never had one.

Warwick

WilfySwarez

Postby WilfySwarez » Sat May 19, 2018 2:10 pm

Follow up. from March......
Latest info re changing from a valid UK driving licence to a Greek licence.
As procedures change all the time, here is the 'current' up to date info and prices for anyone interested in doing the same. Note if you are considering changing your licence, as is also a legal requirement if you live here, do it before you reach 65 as the cost is less than we paid. This has been our experience, being both 65 and over, going through all the motions involved. With everything now in place, are awaiting our Greek licences to be issued, which could take a month.
Directions to the appropriate government building are as follows. Coming from Chania towards Souda, after the traffic lights which are close to the main Police Station, at the next set of traffic lights, turn right. [ there are signs for Hospital and ΣΥΝΚΑ supermarket ] There are an immediate choice of 2 roads, take the left hand road as is direct. Carry on a short distance and on your right is a big blue sign written in Greek, Δ/ΝΣΗ ΜΕΤΑΦΟΡΩΝ & ΕΠΙΚΟΙΝΩΝΙΩΝ, above blue dump bins and in front of 2 large buildings. Turn right here and into the free car park. Go then to Building A, which was on your right as you drove in and go to the door marked ΔΙΠΛΩΜΑTA. [Diplomas] The person at the desk will direct you to the appropriate office. Here you will meet 2 very pleasant and helpful English speaking Greek ladies. The next time you go and will know which office it is, you can access this corridoor and office from the back of this building up a metal ramp.
Here are the steps in order.
Documents each will need to take for this initial visit to the Souda office are Passport, Valid Driving Licence, Tax Number [ΑΦΜ] and Residence Permit, which needs to have been issued 185 days before applying for the licence. We took copies of all, but they will also copy them for you.
Some details are taken and a form to sign. The next step is their contacting the DVLA in the UK to check your record, that you are not banned from driving etc. This was supposed to take around 15 days, but took almost twice that time as seems the DVLA was being slow. When finally they received confirmation, the office rang us to go back to inform us of the next steps.
There is another paper to sign. We were then given a list of the only Pathologists and Ophthalmologists you can choose from, to go for a driving licence medical and eye test.
But before visiting the Pathologist and Ophthalmologist, you need photos taken, as they each need a photo to attach to the relevent form. Ask specifically for photos for a driving licence, as are larger than passport photos. So in all we each had to have 3 photos taken, one for each medical report and one for the Souda office for the Greek licence. Photo cost of 7.50 e's pp.
The Pathologist and Ophthalmologist will also need to see your Driving Licence and IKA book. Or are assuming other proof of medical insurance if you have no IKA, or are under 65. Was not relevent to us and did not think to ask at the time, so suggest you simply ask at a KEP office.
We then had to go to a KEP office, taking Passport, Driving Licence and Tax Number to obtain 'e Παραβολo' forms to pay the necessary fees at the bank. The KEP service is free.
We then had to go to a National Bank only and each pay a total [ incl bank commission] of 102.50 e's.
Obtaining all this documentation and with Pathologists and Ophthamologists appointments previously arranged and the procedures completed , did it all in one busy morning.
Was then back yet again to the Souda office with all this documentation they needed and so are now awaiting issuance of new Greek driving licences. When ready, say they will ring us and we take our current licences with us and exchange them for Greek ones.
We have EU photocard driving licences and have not to date been asked for them to be translated.
Greek licence renewal. The licence has to be renewed every 3 years. Asked about procedure for our records, as in before it expires, when to apply, assuming we need the medical tests and new photos re-done, but was told with things ever changing, to contact the office a month before the licences run out for current procedure.
As from this Sept and new rules, were told that when reaching 74, a driving test has to be taken.
When reaching 80 there is an additional psychiatrist's report needed.
To sum up, as we all know, nothing is ever simple here. Involved a lot of running around, time and cost. Can see the sense though, esp as people get older, in having medical reports before licences are issued/re-issued.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 19, 2018 4:00 pm

A few of comments:

1 You could have done everything at KEP without going to the licensing office. Once you reach 80 you have to go to the licensing office.
    2 You may find it takes more than one month. I've known it take 8 weeks. I believe there is one person in Athens who issues all licences for Greece. If he goes on holiday nobody takes over.
    3 You can pay the e-paravola at any bank. Before the e-paravola system started there was a different form and that could only be paid at the National bank. Also one fee had to be paid at the tax office. That no longer applies.
    4 The licence application form may say that the residence permit must be issued 185 days before applying for the licence but I think the requirement has been reduced to 95 days, or at least it was when I changed mine. I suppose it may have been increased again or they have never bothered reprinting the forms?
    5 As far as I know you can renew the licence right up to its expiry date. They give you a paper to prove that you have submitted a renewal application and you can continue to drive using that. The renewed licence will be issued from the date of application not the old expiry date so it doesn't pay to apply too early. Worth checking with KEP nearer the time to be on the safe side.

Warwick

WilfySwarez

Postby WilfySwarez » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:04 pm

Just to finish off.....Today got a call from the ladies in the Souda road office, the licences, mine and my wifes are ready , simply come in and exchange UK licence for the Greeks ones. Took just over 2 weeks so must be improving the service.
That's all folks....

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:03 pm

WilfySwarez wrote:Follow up... This has been our experience, being both 65 and over, going through all the motions involved.

We were then given a list of the only Pathologists and Ophthalmologists you can choose from, to go for a driving licence medical and eye test.

Greek licence renewal. The licence has to be renewed every 3 years.

Hi Wilfy, thanks for the info & updates.

Just to add that for those under 65yrs, I think they will not normally need the medical & eye test to change their licence?

Also for those under 65 yrs the licence should be valid up to age 65yrs, e.g. for someone age 50 yrs it would be valid for 15yrs. There doesn't seem to be a 10 year expiry date on Greek driving licences as with UK ones?

(Looking for input here - thanks!).

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:13 pm

WilfySwarez wrote:Just to finish off.....Today got a call from the ladies in the Souda road office, the licences, mine and my wifes are ready , simply come in and exchange UK licence for the Greeks ones. Took just over 2 weeks so must be improving the service.
That's all folks....

So you kept hold of your UK licence the whole time and didn't surrender it before the Greek one arrived?

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:59 pm

Carolina wrote:
WilfySwarez wrote:Just to finish off.....Today got a call from the ladies in the Souda road office, the licences, mine and my wifes are ready , simply come in and exchange UK licence for the Greeks ones. Took just over 2 weeks so must be improving the service.
That's all folks....

So you kept hold of your UK licence the whole time and didn't surrender it before the Greek one arrived?

I am going to pick up my Greek licence from the Sitia next week and hand over my UK licence in exchange ...I guess they keep it in the file with the translation and the other photo pin on the application form,photocopies of residence permit and passport ... the young man who runs the office, Mario says 'it's the last piece of the jigsaw '....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:08 am

When I changed mine they were using the red cardboard booklet type licences and they were issued in the office where I applied. That meant that they only took a couple of days to issue. I am pretty sure I had to submit my UK one with the application but the lady said I could carry on driving and refer the police to her if I was stopped for any reason. I guess they may have changed the procedure when they switched to the photocard type because they take much longer to issue.

I was under 65 back then and the licence was dated to expire on my 65 th birthday and I didn't need a medical or eye test to get it.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”