Greek Driving Licence

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Yin&Yang

Re: Greek Driving Licence

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:47 am

Thank you Warwick!
Someday is now : )

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:03 pm

Kilkis wrote:Yes. It's all done at the same site. Vehicle ownership change, driving licence change/renewal, driving tests etc. I'm not sure which building you would need to go to for the test. Immediately inside the gate is a long building to the right. I believe the office where you change/renew a driving licence is at the far end of that building. There is a path along the front of the building, i.e. between the building and the fence and at the end of that path is the driving licence change/renewal office. I would start there. They should be able to tell you where to go to take the basic practical test for 74+ drivers.

Warwick

Spot on Warwick. When you explain there what you want to do, they will tell you to go and wait in the courtyard (between the two buildings). Eventually someone with a clipboard will look anxxiously around and say your name; that's it, you are on! 7 minutes round the circuit and 15 minutes to do the paperwork! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:53 am

Warrick wrote
Yes. It's all done at the same site. Vehicle ownership change, driving licence change/renewal, driving tests etc. I'm not sure which building you would need to go to for the test. Immediately inside the gate is a long building to the right. I believe the office where you change/renew a driving licence is at the far end of that building. There is a path along the front of the building, i.e. between the building and the fence and at the end of that path is the driving licence change/renewal office. I would start there. They should be able to tell you where to go to take the basic practical test for 74+ drivers.

I wish it was that easy in Agios Nikolaos. Offices are all over the place. No proctical test until you provide a copy of your vehicle green paper. KEP has no interest except in producing the payment documents. 50; 30;18;15 euros. No other help from them. Clerks are extremly rude and unhelpful in the Licence application Office and the Office for temporary Licence.
I have checked again, yes must take the 30 question written test, have to bring an interpreter, can only be a Lawyer.
It seems that there are different rules for each Perfecture. Very strange !
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:22 pm

evansmr1 wrote:
I wish it was that easy in Agios Nikolaos. Offices are all over the place. No proctical test until you provide a copy of your vehicle green paper. KEP has no interest except in producing the payment documents. 50; 30;18;15 euros. No other help from them. Clerks are extremly rude and unhelpful in the Licence application Office and the Office for temporary Licence.
I have checked again, yes must take the 30 question written test, have to bring an interpreter, can only be a Lawyer.
It seems that there are different rules for each Perfecture. Very strange !

Can't help but feel that Ag Nikolaos office has got it wrong. Worth challenging them. We are still talking about the 74 and over test, are we not? Bob.

PS (edit). Have you thought of enquiring in Iraklio - it's not a million miles away from you? Bob.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:38 pm

I think you have to apply in the Nomos where you are resident, Bob, and you also have to sign a declaration that you have not applied to another office.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:53 pm

Ah. Pity. Bob.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:57 am

Easy to see why many people prefer to hold on to their UK licence, which together with an IDP, and a certain economy of truth about full time residence, will avoid the nightmare of getting a Greek licence.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:08 am

In my experience, Andrew, the majority of UK ex-pats keep their UK licence. In my local group of friends there was only me and one other couple who had changed to a Greek licence. That couple have returned to the UK so now there is only me. Typically when we got together in a group there was over 20 of us, now somewhat depleted, so I am very much in the minority. So far it has not caused me any serious problems, only a couple of minor hiccups and even one of those was probably positive. If I had not been forced to get a residence permit in order to change the licence I might never have got round to getting one. I am sure I would have got one after the referendum vote but I wouldn't now have a permanent one.

Warwick

altohb

Postby altohb » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:34 am

Interesting to know just why people didn't get residence permits initially. Of the people we know here, many didn't - largely on the say so of the estate agent that many of us used - don't need one! My husband was asked for one when he bought our first car, and I got one straight away as well, working on the principle that it was easier to go along with the rules, even if told that it wasn't necessary. We are very glad now that we did. We also changed our licences (somewhat belatedly), as we realised that our photocard ones ran out once we'd been here 10 years. Very simple procedure to do so here in Sitia, unlike what others report, and my husband's one also renewed recently with the medical stuff, as he's over 65 - no problems again, and very quick.Whatever other c**p is thrown at us once Brexit happens, at least we know we have our blue permits and our driving licences, as required.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:17 am

I came to Greece to work back in 1997 before the current laws existed. I simply wasn't aware that a Residence Permit, as they were then, was needed. If I had known that they were a legal requirement I would have got one immediately. My boss helped me to do things like open a bank account or buy a car. The car was bought without a Residence Permit with no problem, although it was dealt with by a lawyer of the US based company In Athens selling it to me. It had been a company car. I can remember opening a bank account and the manager asking for a Residence Permit and my boss saying, "He doesn't need one, he's an EU citizen". The manager shrugged and opened the account. The first time I found I needed one was when I changed my driving licence in 2005.

There was a similar situation in the UK. The UK implemented the same EU Directive into UK law as exists in Greece. In the UK it was framed as "can" not "must". They didn't really care about EU nationals registering that they were living in the UK so most EU nationals didn't bother. When they introduced various checks, e.g. employers having to check if a potential employee had the right to work in the UK, it was recognised that EU nationals had the right under EU law to work there so simply showing a passport of an EU member state would suffice. I can think of no situation in the UK where a Residence Certificate would be required. Obviously that will change.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:30 am

When we applied for our first residence permit in 2004... the guy said that we did not need them because 'we are all in the EU now' he only had one application form so we had to go into town to copy a load , 'cos the machine in the police station was broken ... so glad we stuck to our guns and got them ....As for driving licences we changed our last year the local vehicle licensing office in Sitia ...very easy took four weeks and we kept our UK licences until the new ones were ready total cost 30 euros each...plus 20 eros for the eye test and health check plus another 20 euros for my old green paper licence to be translated ...a bit mifted that it only last for three years where as my old licence was valid until I was 75... but it's so quick to get it done ...fingers crossed ...

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:04 pm

Andrew took his driving test for the over 74s this afternoon and passed. Here are a few tips observed durng our visit to the centre in Xania today:

Appointment was for 2pm. So was everyone elses. Luckily Andrew was fIrst to be called.

Not necessary to visit an office to register your arrival. The instructer has everyone's names already on his list.

Waiting area outside is in shade, however very limited seats, would highly recommend taking a fold up seat.

Driving examiner didn't arrive until 2.20pm so would recommend taking water with you.

Driving test is described by others above, i.e. once around the block.

Paperwork by examiner took about two minutes in the car itself; Andrew was given a signed letter to say he'd passed.

Andrew will receive a telephone call from the driving/licencing centre to say that his new licence is ready to collect.

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:43 pm

Yin&Yang wrote
ndrew took his driving test for the over 74s this afternoon and passed. Here are a few tips observed durng our visit to the centre in Xania today:
Appointment was for 2pm. So was everyone elses. Luckily Andrew was fIrst to be called.
Not necessary to visit an office to register your arrival. The instructer has everyone's names already on his list.
Waiting area outside is in shade, however very limited seats, would highly recommend taking a fold up seat.
Driving examiner didn't arrive until 2.20pm so would recommend taking water with you.
Driving test is described by others above, i.e. once around the block.
Paperwork by examiner took about two minutes in the car itself; Andrew was given a signed letter to say he'd passed.
Andrew will receive a telephone call from the driving/licencing centre to say that his new licence is ready to collect.

I wish it was that easy in Agios Nikolaos. Still waiting... I would have assumed that the rules were the same throughout Greece. Obviously they are not.
Seems that I still have to take a written test in Greek and paying a Lawyer to sit with me. This is despite a very good Greek site that has all the test questions (randomly selected when taking a mock test) that is available in English. I have run all 30 tests, each test is 30 questions and the time allowed is 35 minutes. The longest I took to complete was 10 minutes. So I pay the Lawyer 100 euro for 10 minutes work.
If I had not already laid out so much money I would renew my UK Licence.
Even if you are not taking a test I would recommend that All Drivers try this site. Some of the Laws are rather odd..
http://testdriver.gr/en/index.php
Mike

=============

Sic parvis magnaike

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:53 pm

It's frustrating for you to go to so much trouble to get your licence but as you say, you've invested time and money and so it is worth perservering. Thank you for the link which I am interested to read. Having gone through the experience now of replacing my UK licence for a Greek one and also the pseudo experience of a 74+ having the medical test, eye test and now the practical test, I actually think that the UK should adopt the same system in that when drivers reach (whatever age) 74?, then they should have medical tests, etc. It seems wrong that those with UK licences can self-certify.

Lynn

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:02 am

Having spoken to many friends from all over Crete, it appears that almost all of them, that live in the Agios Nikolaos area, have had a lot of problems exchanging their UK Licence for a Greek one. Without exeption, they have all said how UNHELPFUL both KEP & the Licencing Office has been. I know there are a LOT of British expats living in that area, maybe it's time they got together to petition the Dimos for better treatment! Yes, I know the Dimos is not responsible for issuing the Licences, but KEP does come under the Dimos! My local KEP have been wonderful, contacted the Licence office, helped me sort out all the paperwork, sent it off & called me when my Greek Licence was ready.

Return to “General Discussion & News”