Greek Driving Licence

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Joan

Re: Greek Driving Licence

Postby Joan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:25 am

UK drivers have to renew their licences every 3 years once they reach the age of 70. They do self-certify - but there is a system of random medical checks (which I remember being told was for 10% of older drivers). Other UK drivers also have to renew every 3 years - eg my son who is much younger but is a type 1 diabetic. Possibly it would be sensible to have a consistent EU-wide system, but probably too late for that in the case of the UK now...

Joan

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:41 am

I didn't know about random checks, nor renewal of licences for those with certain medical conditions - interesting.
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:41 pm

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the random call for medical checks is not uniformly distributed over the age group above 70. I think it is probable that the older you are the higher the probability of being asked to get a medical certificate, which is not unreasonable. The UK has also talked about introducing compulsory retaking of the driving test over a certain age but so far has not done so.

Warwick

Midlander

Postby Midlander » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:16 am

This might be of interest to those who are nearing the age for the practical test for a Greek licence.

Midlander

Postby Midlander » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:19 am

This might be of interest to those who are nearing the age for the practical test for a Greek licence.
www.zarpanews.gr/paratasi-sti-adeis-odi ... ia-toys-an

Midlander

Postby Midlander » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:43 am

Sorry folks its a bit too early for me to get things right.
Try this.......
http://zarpanews.gr/paratasi-sti-adeies ... ia-toys-an

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:33 am

The link still doesn't work. It looks as though it is incomplete? I've tried searching for the article but could not find it. Which tab is it under?

Warwick

Midlander

Postby Midlander » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:54 am

It seems to have disappeared off the zarpa news website. I can't find it either.It is a decision made by the Kostas Karamanlis to cancel the practical test for 74 year olds and change it for a detailed report from a Doctor.

Midlander

Postby Midlander » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:05 am

Hi Kilkis,ive just found it under Hellas 2nd page.Just below an article on Widows Pensions.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:18 am

OK. As I suspected the links that you posted were incomplete. People should be able to find the article here.

As far as I can understand it they intend to review the whole law, 4599/2019, which introduced a practical tests for over 74s, with the intention of returning to medical examinations only, although possibly more stringent ones.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:06 pm

Kilkis wrote:OK. As I suspected the links that you posted were incomplete. People should be able to find the article here.

As far as I can understand it they intend to review the whole law, 4599/2019, which introduced a practical tests for over 74s, with the intention of returning to medical examinations only, although possibly more stringent ones.

Warwick

Let's just hope the doctors don't go on strike like the test examiners did! Submited our licences for renewal in January this year, passed our tests on 25 June and still waiting for the licence (without which we can't hire a car overseas!). Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:55 pm

Bobscott Wrote
Let's just hope the doctors don't go on strike like the test examiners did! Submited our licences for renewal in January this year, passed our tests on 25 June and still waiting for the licence (without which we can't hire a car overseas!). Bob.

I applied September 2018. Still awaiting the theory and pratical test.

I am seriously considering forgetting the whole thing and requesting the fees that I have paid be refunded. I am going to one more lunge at the supid arraogant woman on Monday. I will not hold my breath.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:52 am

evansmr1 wrote:
Bobscott Wrote

I am seriously considering forgetting the whole thing and requesting the fees that I have paid be refunded. I am going to one more lunge at the supid arraogant woman on Monday. I will not hold my breath.

Good luck with the refund :wink:

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:05 am

Kamisiana wrote:Good luck with the refund :wink:

Ditto. :lol:

Andrew

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:56 pm

evansmr1 wrote:
Bobscott Wrote

Where is your licensing authority office? The one for Chania will tell you, if you visit, which month of applications they are currently dealing with. If that's where you went, then someone has boobed as they are well past last September now! But you say, theory and practical test. What theory test? Not for the 74 and over people (unless you are in Ag. Nikoloas I understand).

Good luck confronting the 'stupid arrogant' 'woman. Given their performance on your licence, I wouldn't advocate any breath-holding if you try to get a refund! Maybe a big smile and some grovelling might work before the shouting begins???? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “General Discussion & News”