Greek Driving Licence

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: Greek Driving Licence

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:45 pm

bobscott wrote:...Where is your licensing authority office? ...What theory test? Not for the 74 and over people (unless you are in Ag. Nikoloas I understand)...

He's not exactly in Ag. Nikolaos, Bob, but that is the driving centre that covers his location, between Ag. Nikolaos and Ierapetra.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:03 pm

Thanks Warwick. That explains it. Time they got their act together in Ag. Nik. Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:33 pm

I visited the Lasithi Driving Licence Office in Agios Nikolaos this morning.
It has been confirmed that the Test for over 74 year olds has stopped and will be replaced by a medical. However, things may change before the 31 December 2019.
I have been given a temporary Driving Licence valid until 31/12/2019.
If the only requirement will now be to take a stricter Medical examination, I was advised that I should get some of the fees that I have paid returned.
We shall see.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:48 pm

KEP have been faffing with my UK to Greek licence transfer for so long now I'm beginning to worry. At the moment all I have is a (possibly useless) KEP document with a photocopy of my old UK licence attached.

Replacing the UK licence requires UK residency. Apart from plain lying about where I've been living for 3 years, is anyone aware of a method for an expat to get a replacement UK licence?

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:10 pm

KEP have been faffing with my UK to Greek licence transfer for so long now I'm beginning to worry.

Did you ask them why?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:33 pm

GlennB wrote:KEP have been faffing with my UK to Greek licence transfer for so long now I'm beginning to worry. At the moment all I have is a (possibly useless) KEP document with a photocopy of my old UK licence attached...

It is not useless. It is an official certification that you have applied to renew your licence and have submitted all the necessary documentation. The table, which takes up most of the document, is a list of what you have submitted. Unless it has changed in the last few years it reads:

1.Application – Solemn Declaration
    2.Photocopy of Passport
    3.Receipt of the Public Treasury for fixed stamp duty and third party levies for €18
    4.Photocopy of driving licence or actual licence if it has expired
    5.Photocopy of Residence Permit
    6.2 Passport Type Photographs
    7.Two health certificates (one from a GP and one from an ophthalmologist)
    8.Proof of payment of €30 fee from bank for printing
    9.Request form to print licence

There should be a cross in the first column next to each item. The Greek police should recognise it as equivalent to a valid driving licence. I also drove in the UK using one but I was never stopped so I don't know what would have happened if I had been.

GlennB wrote:...Replacing the UK licence requires UK residency. Apart from plain lying about where I've been living for 3 years, is anyone aware of a method for an expat to get a replacement UK licence?

Plain lying is the only solution if you are permanently resident in Greece. Each country can only issue licences to people who are permanently resident in their country. I have not done it but I know people who have. Assuming that you have no longer any connection with the address on the licence, i.e. the last place you lived in the UK, then use the address of a relative or friend who you trust.

Warwick

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:29 pm

I've recently received my Greek driving licence, which I exchanged my UK one for. It took 6 months to come through. The licencing office in Heraklion told me, the biggest delay was from the UK, they took 4 months or more to reply & confirm my UK one was valid & what categories I had on it. I think that there was a large number of expats, living in the EU who applied for their relevant countries licences in January/February of this year!

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:18 pm

Kilkis wrote:
It is not useless. It is an official certification that you have applied to renew your licence and have submitted all the necessary documentation. The table, which takes up most of the document, is a list of what you have submitted. Unless it has changed in the last few years it reads:

1.Application – Solemn Declaration
    2.Photocopy of Passport
    3.Receipt of the Public Treasury for fixed stamp duty and third party levies for €18
    4.Photocopy of driving licence or actual licence if it has expired
    5.Photocopy of Residence Permit
    6.2 Passport Type Photographs
    7.Two health certificates (one from a GP and one from an ophthalmologist)
    8.Proof of payment of €30 fee from bank for printing
    9.Request form to print licence

There should be a cross in the first column next to each item. The Greek police should recognise it as equivalent to a valid driving licence. I also drove in the UK using one but I was never stopped so I don't know what would have happened if I had been.

GlennB wrote:...Replacing the UK licence requires UK residency. Apart from plain lying about where I've been living for 3 years, is anyone aware of a method for an expat to get a replacement UK licence?

Plain lying is the only solution if you are permanently resident in Greece. Each country can only issue licences to people who are permanently resident in their country. I have not done it but I know people who have. Assuming that you have no longer any connection with the address on the licence, i.e. the last place you lived in the UK, then use the address of a relative or friend who you trust.

Warwick

The KEP document has precious little of that, not least because we weren't asked for the doctor/ophthamologist reports, and our KEP bloke is a total cowboy.

Meanwhile, I'd imagine it would be a bugger to hire a car in the UK even with the proper KEP document, let alone go through the mill if something bad happened and the cops asked to see one's licence.

We hate lying. Today I completed our E1 stuff for 2018 and our accountant joked "You're too legal!"

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:31 pm

Sorry, the table I copied is for renewing a Greek licence after you have exchanged it. I am not sure what document you get when you first change it. I did it at a driving centre in northern Greece back in 2005 when it was still a red folded card type licence with the photo stapled to it. I don't think I got any document then, I just kept my UK licence and gave it in when I collected the Greek one two days later.

For anybody who is renewing a Greek licence, the two medical certificates are only required if you are 65 or over. If you are under 65 they should still be on the form but have a cross in the third column as not required. It is possible that different offices use different format forms but I have scans of my applications in 2014 and 2017, from two different KEP offices, both in the Chania Prefecture, and they are virtually identical.

I hired a car in the UK with the KEP document but I did have a slight problem. I supplied a translation in exactly the same format as the Greek version but, of course, my translation did not have the KEP stamps and signatures. If it had had them they would have accepted it. I got the car because I had hired from them in the past and they had a scan of my licence on record, although it took them a long time to find it. They knew that I was driving using that document as proof of licence.

I'm not sure how submitting an E1 two days before the extended deadline can be described as "too legal". Three days later and it would be illegal and subject to a fine. I submitted mine before the original deadline at the end of June. My first stage payment of 3 will go out today, 30 July.

Warwick

Edit
PS My last statement above was slightly wrong. Midnight on 29 July was the deadline, not 31 July as I thought, so the submission was made a few hours before the deadline not two days, which only makes the rest of the comment more valid. Today it has been extended until midnight tonight.
Last edited by Kilkis on Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:49 am

Does anyone have recent experience of how long it takes for a licence to be ready to collect AFTER THE OVER 74 driving test?
Someday is now : )

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:53 am

Yin&Yang wrote:Does anyone have recent experience of how long it takes for a licence to be ready to collect AFTER THE OVER 74 driving test?

Still waiting after passing the test on 25 June (this year!). Bob.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:01 am

Kilkis wrote:

Warwick

A tactic used by many and have not heard of any repercussions. We 'bent' the law slightly when we first settled here and until we sold our property in the UK. Then we changed to Greek licences because of the address issue (£1000 maximum fine if caught in the UK driving with a licence showing a false address).

But it's still plain lying if you no longer live in the UK or at least have a personally owned property there, and if your trusted friend/relative is caught out in the fraud, they as well as you will be the subject of some serious legal action. Is it worth it? Bob.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:54 am

If you tell the friend/relative that you have arranged for an envelope to be sent to you at their address and ask them to forward it on to you then I don't think that they are part of the fraud. Even if you do tell them what it is, also tell them that if they are ever questioned to say that they had no idea what was in the envelope. You only told them that it was a document that could only be sent to a UK address. If they were actively involved in some way in making the application then I think that they would be.

It can take 2 months, give or take a bit, to get a renewed Greek licence after submitting the application so I would guess it wouldn't be less for changing a licence and might be more. I don't know if the change in rules being put through by the new government will slow it down. I find that it is very easy for bureaucrats to get confused whenever there are changes and they then become even more bureaucratic.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:49 pm

Kilkis wrote:If you tell the friend/relative that you have arranged for an envelope to be sent to you at their address and ask them to forward it on to you then I don't think that they are part of the fraud. Even if you do tell them what it is, also tell them that if they are ever questioned to say that they had no idea what was in the envelope. You only told them that it was a document that could only be sent to a UK address. If they were actively involved in some way in making the application then I think that they would be.

It can take 2 months, give or take a bit, to get a renewed Greek licence after submitting the application so I would guess it wouldn't be less for changing a licence and might be more. I don't know if the change in rules being put through by the new government will slow it down. I find that it is very easy for bureaucrats to get confused whenever there are changes and they then become even more bureaucratic.

Warwick

As you describe it, that's probably going to work OK. I was thinking more in terms of those we know who pay their kids' water bills for them by registering the account in the parents' name. Tricky. Bob.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:20 pm

I think you have to distinguish between what might be a criminal action and what is just breaking terms and conditions of a contract.

For example people get Sky contracts by using a UK address. I did it myself for a time but no longer do. As far as I know they are not committing any crime but they are breaking Sky's terms and conditions. That could result in the contract being terminated but not in a prosecution. On the other hand, supplying false information on a licence application is an offence and could lead to prosecution of the person supplying that information but I don't think forwarding an envelope is an offence.

I doubt if having your name included on a water account or a council tax account would be a criminal offence but I don't know for certain. My attitude would be that I spend some time in the UK at my son's house and some time in Greece. I would claim that I had my name included because I wanted to make a contribution to the upkeep of the house. Obviously how you then used the water/council tax bill with your name on it would be another matter. By the way, I don't have my name on water/council tax bills in the UK.

I do have bank accounts in the UK registered to my Greek address and others registered to my son's UK address. In the latter case, when questioned about tax residency, I simply said that I spend some time in Greece and some time in the UK. I have income streams in the UK and in Greece. The tax liability of each income stream is decided in accordance with the DTA between Greece and the UK. That statement is 100 % true. They record my status as tax resident in both Greece and the UK. I'm happy and they seem happy. I tend to use the UK account mostly to make purchases where the company will not send goods to Greece. If I try to use a credit/debit card registered to my Greek address but get delivery to my son's UK address the transaction often fails. As far as I am aware that is not breaking any law.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”