Greek Driving Licence

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
bobscott

Re: Greek Driving Licence

Postby bobscott » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:48 pm

Kilkis wrote:I think you have to distinguish between what might be a criminal action and what is just breaking terms and conditions of a contract.

For example people get Sky contracts by using a UK address. I did it myself for a time but no longer do. As far as I know they are not committing any crime but they are breaking Sky's terms and conditions. That could result in the contract being terminated but not in a prosecution. On the other hand, supplying false information on a licence application is an offence and could lead to prosecution of the person supplying that information but I don't think forwarding an envelope is an offence.

I doubt if having your name included on a water account or a council tax account would be a criminal offence but I don't know for certain. My attitude would be that I spend some time in the UK at my son's house and some time in Greece. I would claim that I had my name included because I wanted to make a contribution to the upkeep of the house. Obviously how you then used the water/council tax bill with your name on it would be another matter. By the way, I don't have my name on water/council tax bills in the UK.

I do have bank accounts in the UK registered to my Greek address and others registered to my son's UK address. In the latter case, when questioned about tax residency, I simply said that I spend some time in Greece and some time in the UK. I have income streams in the UK and in Greece. The tax liability of each income stream is decided in accordance with the DTA between Greece and the UK. That statement is 100 % true. They record my status as tax resident in both Greece and the UK. I'm happy and they seem happy. I tend to use the UK account mostly to make purchases where the company will not send goods to Greece. If I try to use a credit/debit card registered to my Greek address but get delivery to my son's UK address the transaction often fails. As far as I am aware that is not breaking any law.

Warwick

That's all well and good Warwick. Envisage the situation where you are stopped in the UK by the police - for whatever reason. 'Can I see your driving licence please sir?' ..... 'Is this your home address sir?' .............ouch. Whether you say yes or no, you have broken a law (or 6). Not worth it. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:27 pm

I asked the DVLA this question some time ago when I had to visit the UK I pointed out that the address on my green paper licence was my old address and I no longer live there or have any links to it. In the end I did not need to hire a car anyway but the choice of language is worth noting ...I now have a Greek licence and hire cars in the UK no problem.....
DVLA Email <donotreply.contactcentre@dvla.gsi.gov.uk>
Attachments
Thu, Apr 24, 2014, 1:21 PM
to me

Dear Mr St.Clair

Thank you for your email received on 23/4/14. Your email reference number is 1960970.
I can confirm that provided your UK licence is still valid you would be able to use it to drive whilst visiting the UK.
I would however recommend you clarify with the car hire company you intend using if there is anything else they will require to allow you to hire a
vehicle with them.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:02 pm

bobscott wrote:...That's all well and good Warwick. Envisage the situation where you are stopped in the UK by the police - for whatever reason. 'Can I see your driving licence please sir?' ..... 'Is this your home address sir?' .............ouch. Whether you say yes or no, you have broken a law (or 6). Not worth it. Bob.

Well it doesn't apply to me, since I changed to a Greek licence, but if I had been stopped and asked that question and I had a UK licence showing my son's address my answer would be very simple: "Well I don't have my own house in the UK, because I do a lot of travelling abroad, but when I am in the UK that is where I live with my son and family". If they had questioned my son he would have said the same thing. DVLA don't rally care, as evidenced by Jeff's post, and as far as I can see the police aren't bothered provided they have an address where you can be contacted one way or another. There are certainly businessmen who do have their own home but spend most of their lives travelling round the world so they couldn't necessarily be contacted at their address immediately.

Unfortunately when I did have a UK licence I didn't change the address from my last home after I had sold it so it got awkward when I was asked the question when hiring a car. Clearly that no longer was an address where I could be contacted. I got round it by saying I had only just moved and I hadn't had time to change the address yet. They seemed OK about it and accepted a contact address where I could be reached but warned me it was an offence. I could have changed to my son's address then but instead decided to change to a Greek licence.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:56 am

Jeffstclair wrote:I asked the DVLA this question some time ago when I had to visit the UK I pointed out that the address on my green paper licence was my old address and I no longer live there or have any links to it. In the end I did not need to hire a car anyway but the choice of language is worth noting ...I now have a Greek licence and hire cars in the UK no problem.....
DVLA Email <donotreply.contactcentre@dvla.gsi.gov.uk>
Attachments
Thu, Apr 24, 2014, 1:21 PM
to me

Dear Mr St.Clair

Thank you for your email received on 23/4/14. Your email reference number is 1960970.
I can confirm that provided your UK licence is still valid you would be able to use it to drive whilst visiting the UK.
I would however recommend you clarify with the car hire company you intend using if there is anything else they will require to allow you to hire a
vehicle with them.

To be fair, I asked DVLA too (in 2004) , but (typically!) after we had changed our licences from UK to Greek. This was the response:
CUSTOMER REF : D262268

Thank you for your e-mail.

I regret that we are unable to issue a GB licence showing an address outside
England, Scotland or Wales.

Drivers who take up residence in another EC/EEA country no longer have to
exchange their driving licence, but may continue to drive using their own
national licence for as long as is remains valid.

National licences may only carry an address from the country which issued
that licence. We are therefore unable to re-issue your British licence with
a foreign address. It is accepted that drivers who move to another other
part of the EC/EEA could be holding driving licences showing an incorrect
address. This is permissible under the terms of the EC Directive on Driving
Licences. I hope this answers your enquiry.

Should have asked the question before making the change. 20/20 hindsight and all that! Bob.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:00 am

Yes but ,you are glad you did now ...

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:04 am

Jeffstclair wrote:Yes but ,you are glad you did now ...

Well Jeff, when our licences eventually arrive after a renewal process started in January, I will be mightily relieved! Bob.

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:23 pm

Kilkis wrote:I'm not sure how submitting an E1 two days before the extended deadline can be described as "too legal". Three days later and it would be illegal and subject to a fine. I submitted mine before the original deadline at the end of June. My first stage payment of 3 will go out today, 30 July.

Warwick

Edit
PS My last statement above was slightly wrong. Midnight on 29 July was the deadline, not 31 July as I thought, so the submission was made a few hours before the deadline not two days, which only makes the rest of the comment more valid. Today it has been extended until midnight tonight.

Ah, badly put by me. The 'too legal' part related to our insistence on paying the full amount due. Seems the accountant had done something slightly naughty on our behalf in the last couple of years, knowing it would pass scrutiny. We're averse to such things.

Then the next day I tried again at KEP and my licence had arrived 8)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:33 pm

I agree with that Glenn. I too pay in full and on time.

Congratulations on getting the licence.

Warwick

mythos master

Postby mythos master » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:34 pm

I think I can claim some sort of record,applied for Greek issued licence in May 2018
After many visits phoned DVLA to be told they had no request from greece for licence info,they said they would send details.went this week only to be told there is a problem with your application because you are now 65,I replied that I wasn't when I started,anyway now have to pay for eye test and chest x rays or ecg
Lady in office said welcome to greece !
a pessimist is an optimist with experience

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:57 pm

mythos master wrote:I think I can claim some sort of record,applied for Greek issued licence in May 2018
After many visits phoned DVLA to be told they had no request from greece for licence info,they said they would send details.went this week only to be told there is a problem with your application because you are now 65,I replied that I wasn't when I started,anyway now have to pay for eye test and chest x rays or ecg
Lady in office said welcome to greece !

Oh dear!

If they had issued the Greek one last year though it would have still expired at 65 & you would have needed to re-apply wth docs tests etc again this year anyway.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:05 pm

Are the chest xrays or ECG a new requirement? When Andrew was making his application around March time this year it was just an eye test and a simple visit to a doctor who made a very limited examination.
Someday is now : )

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:16 pm

Yin&Yang wrote:Are the chest xrays or ECG a new requirement? When Andrew was making his application around March time this year it was just an eye test and a simple visit to a doctor who made a very limited examination.

Same with us. Doctor and eye test.
However, interestingly now that I am 80 (but I was only 79 when I submitted my licence for renewal in January this year) my licence expires 2 years to the day from my 80th. I know that I shall have to add a visit to a psychiatrist/psychologist or whatever in addition to doctor and ophthalmologist. Think I will start in January 2021 again, just to see how long it takes!! (This time it took 8 months from time of submission, which included 6 weeks of being unable to drive thanks to bureaucratic nonsense in 'The Department').

Bob.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:49 pm

Do you have your new licence yet bobscott? Andrew took his test in I THINK June and hasn't heard anything yet.
Last edited by Yin&Yang on Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:55 pm

I think it is a psychiatrist, Bob. I think they will carry out tests for various types of dementia, e.g. remember 3 words while they talk about other things then repeat them, reproduce a drawing etc. I had to have something similar but more extensive, I.e about 1 hour, to get my pension. God knows why. I passed so they are obviously not very good at spotting nutters.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:07 pm

:roll:

Return to “General Discussion & News”