Greek Driving Licence

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
scooby

Re: Greek Driving Licence

Postby scooby » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:17 pm

evansmr1 wrote:Can anyone advise please.
I have applied for my Greek Driving Licence. Completed all the required paperwork only to be told that I cannot proceed any further until I have taken and passed the written test. I asked if I could sit this test the next day only to be informed that there is currently no such test, and it is not known when it is available. The test has to be taken by anyone over 74. I advised the lady that my UK licence runs out in six months and that the documents from the Lawyer was also only valid for 6 months. I received the normal Greek shrug with come and check in January.
As far as I am aware no law has yet to be passed regarding over 74 year old Drivers. So if it is not yet law what am I to do?.

Anyone else met this solid brick wall?.

Keep your UK licence?

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:27 pm

scooby wrote:
I have applied for my Greek Driving Licence. Completed all the required paperwork only to be told that I cannot proceed any further until I have taken and passed the written test. I asked if I could sit this test the next day only to be informed that there is currently no such test, and it is not known when it is available. The test has to be taken by anyone over 74. I advised the lady that my UK licence runs out in six months and that the documents from the Lawyer was also only valid for 6 months. I received the normal Greek shrug with come and check in January.
As far as I am aware no law has yet to be passed regarding over 74 year old Drivers. So if it is not yet law what am I to do?.

Keep your UK licence?

But scooby I think after Brexit, to drive here you will need an international driving permit , that you get in person from a postoffice or AA office in the UK that is valid for one year ....just like we had to to do before the UK joined the EU ...

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:42 am

My information is that the test applied to 74 and over is a 'basic practical test' designed to ensure you are still capable of driving! The written test was, I think, specifically mentioned as not a requirement. At the time i thought it was law, but opinions vary amongst driving schools! Will let you know next January when I start the nausea of renewing my Greek licence at the age of 79! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:05 am

Across Greece there is a major problem with driving tests at the moment. Examiners suspended all driving tests back in October and, as far as I can tell, are still not doing them. There is a backlog of over 20,000 tests. Nobody knows when they will resume and driving schools carried out a protest in Athens about 1 week ago.

Bob is correct. The article describing the new rules for 74+ said that it would be a practical test only.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:34 pm

An additional point on Greek driving licences was raised at the Embassy Outreach meeting in Vrysses yesterday that ought to be considered by those over 65.

Hire car companies don't really want to hire to newly qualified drivers. They usually have additional charges for those under a specified age, e.g. 26, but many have an additional clause to block newly qualified older drivers. The tendency is to phrase this rule as: "The licence must have been issued at least 1 year before the date on which car hire begins." Those of us who are over 65 have to renew our licences every 3 years when we surrender our expiring licence and the new licence shows the issue date as the date of application. It would be quite normal to renew a licence and then travel abroad a few months later. A hire car company might refuse to accept the licence because it has not been issued at least 1 year previously. It has not happened to me but apparently some people have experienced this. It is recommended, therefore, that you make copies of expiring licences and take those copies with you if you intend to hire a car. No guarantee it will work but better than having nothing.

Warwick

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:42 pm

Thank-you for the various responses to my problem of attempting to obtain a Greek Driving Licence. I did approach a Driving School in Ag.Nik. he was not aware of any requirements for a written or practical test.
I was actually looking forward to Driving test as I have not had one since 1962. Although I did manage to teach my two children who both passed in the first attempt.
I will visit the Office responsible for the checking of the Driving licence documents again in early January.
Perhaps, as has been suggested, I should apply for the International Licence.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:05 pm

Kilkis wrote:Across Greece there is a major problem with driving tests at the moment. Examiners suspended all driving tests back in October and, as far as I can tell, are still not doing them. There is a backlog of over 20,000 tests. Nobody knows when they will resume and driving schools carried out a protest in Athens about 1 week ago.

Bob is correct. The article describing the new rules for 74+ said that it would be a practical test only.

Warwick

That one passed my by Warwick! So, if when I come to renew my licence, will it be held up because of the strike, or will pragmatism rule and the licence be issued without the test? Hope it's the latter! Bob.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:06 pm

Kilkis wrote:An additional point on Greek driving licences was raised at the Embassy Outreach meeting in Vrysses yesterday that ought to be considered by those over 65.

Hire car companies don't really want to hire to newly qualified drivers. They usually have additional charges for those under a specified age, e.g. 26, but many have an additional clause to block newly qualified older drivers. The tendency is to phrase this rule as: "The licence must have been issued at least 1 year before the date on which car hire begins." Those of us who are over 65 have to renew our licences every 3 years when we surrender our expiring licence and the new licence shows the issue date as the date of application. It would be quite normal to renew a licence and then travel abroad a few months later. A hire car company might refuse to accept the licence because it has not been issued at least 1 year previously. It has not happened to me but apparently some people have experienced this. It is recommended, therefore, that you make copies of expiring licences and take those copies with you if you intend to hire a car. No guarantee it will work but better than having nothing.

Warwick

Sound advice. Will certainly do that from now on. Bob.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:23 pm

evansmr1 wrote:...Perhaps, as has been suggested, I should apply for the International Licence.

The International Driving Permit, IDP, is issued on the basis of a valid national licence. If you don't have a current valid national licence you can't apply for an IDP. You have to apply for the IDP in the country that issued the current valid national licence. I think in most countries, possibly all, you have to apply in person, i.e. be present when you submit the application. That can be problematic for people who are resident in Greece but have kept their UK licence.

I would certainly visit KEP and see if they can help you.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:26 pm

bobscott wrote:...So, if when I come to renew my licence, will it be held up because of the strike, or will pragmatism rule and the licence be issued without the test? Hope it's the latter! Bob.

No idea, Bob. It might be worth asking at KEP if they have any information. I don't hit this problem until 2020 so I am hoping everything is sorted out by then, one way or the other.

Warwick

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:17 am

No idea, Bob. It might be worth asking at KEP if they have any information. I don't hit this problem until 2020 so I am hoping everything is sorted out by then, one way or the other.

Warwick

I asked at the Ag.Nik KEP. They were not aware of any decision or tests available for Expats changing their Driving Licence for a Greek one if the Driver was over 74 years old, neither are the local Driving Schools.

I think I will look at the alternative, International Driving Licence.
Mike

=============

Sic parvis magnaike

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:03 pm

It's not just for people changing their driving licence, evansmr1. Everybody holding a Greek driving licence, Greeks, foreigners, whoever, has to renew it every 3 years once they reach 65. There is a new law (or proposed new law?) such that they will all have to resit a practical driving test when they reach 74. There are two possibilities:

1 Either the new law has not yet come into force in which case you should be able to exchange your licence without a problem and without taking any test. Unless you are 80 or over KEP should be able to do all the administrative work for you. If you are over 65 you will need to visit an approved pathologos and get a medical fitness certificate and an approved ophthalmologist and get an eye test certificate. KEP should be able to give you a list of approved doctors. They should be able to complete all the paperwork for you including forms to take to the bank to make the necessary payments and to the doctors. You will need at least 4 passport size photos. When you take everything back to them they should be able to submit all the paperwork for you. You will need to surrender your existing licence so make a photocopy. They should be able to give you a form verifying that you have satisfied all the application conditions and you can use that in lieu of a driving licence if you are stopped by the police before you get your Greek licence. It can take up to a couple of months to get the new licence so make sure you are not travelling abroad for at least that period as the KEP paper will not satisfy non-Greek law enforcement.
    2 Alternatively the new law has come into force in which case I would have thought at least KEP should know about it and I would have thought some driving schools would be aware.

Have you tried simply asking KEP if they can change your licence for you? I changed mine many years ago at a driving test centre but I have renewed it through KEP several times with no problem. If you are under 65 you don't need to have the health and eyesight checks. Once you turn 80 you need to undergo additional health checks, including a psychiatric test, and KEP can no longer do the administration. You then have to go to a driving test centre.

Some KEP offices are very unhelpful and some are excellent. If one office tells you that they cannot do it try asking at a different office. There are two offices about equi-distance from me to the south west of Chania. The one under the town-hall in Gerani is completely useless. The one in Vamvakopoulo is very good. All ex-pats that I know locally are aware of the difference. I would guess there must be ex-pats in your area that can advise which office is best to use.

Warwick

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:38 am

[quote][Have you tried simply asking KEP if they can change your licence for you? I changed mine many years ago at a driving test centre but I have renewed it through KEP several times with no problem. If you are under 65 you don't need to have the health and eyesight checks. Once you turn 80 you need to undergo additional health checks, including a psychiatric test, and KEP can no longer do the administration. You then have to go to a driving test centre.
/quote]
I am over 74 which means that I must take some sort of test. The KEP in Ag.Nik do not handle the Driving Licence requirements, all they do is to issue the documents for payment 50,35 & 18 euro.
I have had all the health checks, I have all the correct Documents, but Mrs Nasty, at the Lasithi Council Offices, which is blocking the application as she is awaiting details of what is now required. As far as I am aware there is a new law proposal, that has yet to reach Parliament regarding the over 74's.
The KEP offer me no assistance except for the 3 payment documents.
Mike

=============

Sic parvis magnaike

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:44 pm

Unless and until a new law is enacted the administration should apply the existing law. Unfortunately in Greece administrations are usually pretty ignorant of what the laws they enforce actually say. If the law has been enacted but the process has not been enabled then the administrator is probably correct to wait but if the law has not been enacted they should proceed using the existing law. In the latter case you could probably get a court injunction ordering the administrator responsible to obey the current law but it wouldn't be cheap, e.g. around €500, and by the time you get the injunction the new law might be enacted. You could try getting a lawyer to accompany you to the relevant office and argue the case, which would be a lot cheaper, but, in my experience, anything less than a court injunction will not budge them from their decision. The clerk in my local council office completed my late wife's death certificate wrongly and the Greek probate court would not accept it. My lawyer asked her to change it but she completely refused until he got a court injunction forcing her to.

Sorry, I realise that doesn't really help.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:37 pm

If you do a bit of Googling in Greek there is a lot of info/news about this new test for over 74 year olds renewing Greek driving licences, and it appears to have been brought in as law already this summer, but there is a backlog with tests so the government have given a 3/4 month extension for those needing to take the test. BUT in the meantime you need to get a Certificate of temporary extension (will be valid 3/4 months at present) by supplying your paperwork/health checks to the Transport Ministry department. This is the same ministry which deals with changing UK licences to Greek, but it could be a different office / department.

https://www.ethnos.gr/ellada/7752_nea-p ... on-74-eton

I can understand their confusion in your case evansmr1 - it could be a bit of a catch 22 at the moment. In order to exchange your UK licence for a Greek licence you have to be eligible. Now you need a Certificate of extension to prove you are eligible for a Greek licence at age 74 or over. without yet taking the new test. They can't issue the Certificate of extension as you don't have a Greek licence?

A list of all the Ministry of Transport department offices are here -
http://www.yme.gr/index.php?tid=549

Many in the smaller towns are in the Περιφερια offices (Regional council offices). There are 3 listed in Lassithi - perhaps you could try the Sitia office?

Return to “General Discussion & News”