Residence permits

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
ipmcrete

Residence permits

Postby ipmcrete » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:41 am

We have a client who has asked us the difference between 2 residence permits issued here.

The first reads: Βεβαίωση Eγγραφής Πολιτή Κράτους Μέλους της Ευρωπαϊκης Ενοσης which loosely means "Certificate of registration of a citizen of the European Union". It is beige in colour.

The second one reads: Έγγραφο Πιστοποίησης Μόνιμης Διαμονής Πολίτη Κράτους Μέλους της Ευρωπαϊκής Ένωσης which means "Document certifying permanent residence of a citizen of the EU". This one is blue.

Does this mean that the beige one expires sometiime? There is no expiry date shown.

Help.

Yin&Yang

Re: Residence permits

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:21 am

Kilkis describes the diference very well on this Forum and I would direct you to make a word search for a fuller description of the difference between the two permits.

However, briefly, the beige permit is given when one first arrives on the island and although it does not expire, it is not the blue Permanent permit which one can apply for after living on the island for five years.

Full details of how to apply and of what each permit means can be found on the Forum. :)
Someday is now : )

peebee

Postby peebee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:42 am

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:50 am

The following is my final post on this previous thread and gives an overview:

The Registration Certificate (beige) is still indefinite but it is not the same status as a Permanent Residency Document (blue). The former is a legal obligation once you remain more than 3 months in Greece. It does not expire. The latter is an optional document that you are entitled to once you have lived more than 5 years in Greece.

It is possible that whatever documentation is required to remain in Greece after Brexit it may be easier to get that documentation if you hold the latter rather than the former. This is prompting many people who qualify for the latter to apply for it. This is based on the interim agreement reached on the rights of citizens between the UK and the EU a few weeks ago. Obviously that is not certain until a final agreement is reached but it is the best information available at this time. It was discussed extensively in this thread.

The thread linked in the quote is the one linked by Peebee and gives a much fuller discussion of the issue of residency. My personal advice is to make sure you have one of them, many people don't bother. If you are entitled to the blue one then get that one.

Warwick

ipmcrete

Postby ipmcrete » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:18 pm

Thank you for the replies. I am a little confused because when we first arrived here (22 years ago) we were both issued yearly permits. Then the next time, a 3 year one. I was issued a blue permit in 2010, but in 2012, my wife was issued a beige one. I do remember that there was a long delay in receiving her permit, as the police station had run out of them.

Ho hum. I guess my wife will have to visit the police station, now in Vrisses, to apply for a pretty blue one now.

All the best,
Mike

peebee

Postby peebee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:47 pm

The guy that you need to see at Vrysses is Nectarios, he deals with the permits on Wednesdays.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:32 pm

ipmcrete wrote:...I am a little confused because when we first arrived here (22 years ago) we were both issued yearly permits. Then the next time, a 3 year one. I was issued a blue permit in 2010, but in 2012, my wife was issued a beige one. I do remember that there was a long delay in receiving her permit, as the police station had run out of them...

The law regarding residence permits/certificates has changed over the years, largely in response to new EU Directives, so it is not surprising that you have mixed experience. The current directive DIRECTIVE 2004/38/EC, which actually came into force around 2006, has two basic sets of rules. Under Article 7 you are supposed to apply for a Residence Certificate if you stay more than 3 months. It is beige and has indefinite validity, i.e. you don't need to renew it. Under Article 16, once you have lived here for more than 5 years you can apply for a Certificate of Permanent Residence. It is blue and also has indefinite validity. At first glance it doesn't matter which one you have BUT, if the final deal on Brexit mirrors the interim document issued in December, it may be easier to get a new residence certificate after Brexit if you have the blue one rather than the beige one. Some form of new certificate will be necessary because the two current certificates apply to EU citizens and UK citizens will no longer be EU citizens after Brexit.

Hope that helps to reduce the confusion.

Warwick

PS The different treatment of your wife and you may also be explicable. The residence permit that preceded the current version expired after 5 years. It is possible that when you went to renew yours in 2010 the old one was still valid and so you got the blue permanent version. When your wife went in 2012 hers must have expired and so they issued a beige one. I had a similar experience. They seem to treat the permit as the only proof of residence so if your permit has expired then you cannot prove that you have been here 5 years and so you are not entitled to the permanent one. Obviously she has now had the beige one for more than 5 years so shouldn't have a problem getting a blue one.

THASSIAN

Postby THASSIAN » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:04 pm

As a note on the permit you can get it renewed for the permanent one after 5 years, but you have to renew in the first year after the 5 year term.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:22 am

As a note on the permit you can get it renewed for the permanent one after 5 years, but you have to renew in the first year after the 5 year term.

Hi Thassian

That's the first time I've ever heard of that rule. Can you provide a link to whereever that regulation is laid down, please? It implies that if you don't change your Temporary permit in year 6, then you can't have a Permanent permit. And that doesn't sound right.

Tim

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:40 pm

I know of several people who have lived here for 6+ years and successfully obtained their blue permanent permits this year.
Someday is now : )

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:16 pm

Yes ..I had in 2001, what I thought was a full permit when I bought cheap runabout car for when I came over here for the summer and Christmas...I only got a blue residence permit in 2012....

THASSIAN

Postby THASSIAN » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:34 pm

The only reference I can give is the following. After looking at the recommendation to renew our beige permit which we have had for nearly 10 years for the blue permanent one, armed with all the documents and information we could think of, made the trip to our main Police station, saw the sergeant who deals with this and was told by him once he had seen our beige permit that we were too late, as you have to renew in the first year after having the beige one for 5 years. We could have got a replacement for the beige one with that days date on, then wait for the 5 year term then apply. We were told it would be best to keep the old one as it shows that we have been here for 10 years. I think if other people have been able to get one, maybe the normal in Greece thing that it depends where and who you see :D

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:55 pm

I think if other people have been able to get one, maybe the normal in Greece thing that it depends where and who you see

Agreed!
Hope you're not referring to Sitia, as I'm hoping to change my beige to blue in the summer. :!:
Time will tell.
Tim

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:31 pm

I got my blue permit from the police station in Sitia in 2012 ...the most important item at that time was health insurance ....

toastie

Postby toastie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:19 pm

I have only had my beige residents permit since July 2016. I guess I have to wait another couple of years before I apply for a blue one.

So potentially then, anybody with just a beige permit, getting a blue one, if possible, could be made to pay a fee and/or complete another form.

Another question though - is buying a car in Crete ok with just the beige permit?

I suppose at least I have 1 foot in the door, so to speak :)

Return to “General Discussion & News”