Residence permits

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
BST

Re: Residence permits

Postby BST » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:09 am

I've got the permit. Thanks for answer. Just need to wait and see now......for a few years!

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:27 pm

Kilkis wrote:No, as far as I know they don't care how long you have had the residence certificate.

The procedure used to be:

1 Apply for your UK State Pension.
    2 Once you are in receipt of your UK State Pension contact DWP Overseas Healthcare Team and ask for an S1 Form.
    3 Take the S1 Form to IKA along with your passport plus photocopies plus a couple of photographs and get your IKA Health Book.
    4 Go to the relevant police station with your passport plus photocopies, 4 (or 3 or 5 or 6) photographs, proof of address, e.g. Notary contract or rental agreement, proof of income and your IKA Health Book and apply for Residence Certificate.

I am not sure exactly how it works now because there appears to be a Catch 22 situation in that you need your IKA book to get your residence certificate but you need your residence certificate to get your Health Book. I have no idea how you resolve that.

Warwick

We feared this when there was a suggestion we'd need the blue residence permit to renew IKA. Back when we first got our residence permit (pre our S1 entitlement) we took out some cheapish general health insurance to satisfy the police, though in the end they didn't even ask about our health cover.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:50 pm

GlennB wrote:...We feared this when there was a suggestion we'd need the blue residence permit to renew IKA. Back when we first got our residence permit (pre our S1 entitlement) we took out some cheapish general health insurance to satisfy the police, though in the end they didn't even ask about our health cover.

Most people have found that they now need some kind of residence certificate in order to renew their IKA book but it doesn't have to be a permanent one, i.e. a blue one. I know people who have renewed this year with a beige one without any problem.

My Catch 22 comment really applied to people newly arriving in Greece and starting everything from scratch. People already here with a beige certificate should be able to obtain an IKA book for the first time if they now qualify for an S1 Form with no problem. They can use whatever valid certificate they have to apply for their new book and they can then use their book to apply for a permanent certificate when they have been here 5 years.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:20 am

For all those who think: "Why bother to get a Residence Certificate, I don't need it for anything" there is possibly a cautionary tale in the current main news story in the UK.

Starting in 1948 and running through the 50s and into the 60s a large number of immigrants arrived in the UK from Commonwealth countries especially in the Caribbean. The UK was desperate for labour to rebuild the economy after WWII so they were encouraged to come. In 1971 they were given permanent right of residence effectively becoming UK citizens and were entitled to papers to prove this. A significant number never bothered to obtain the paperwork. Why bother? They had lived in the UK for years. They were settled had jobs and didn't really need the papers for any reason. Ring a bell?

Fast forward to 2012 and the Home Secretary, Theresa May, facing strong anti-immigrant feeling in the country, implements new laws to control immigration. In particular it prevented people from getting jobs, getting access to treatment under the NHS, receiving pensions etc unless they could document their legal status. This has caused many of those early immigrants who didn't get their documentation to be kicked out of jobs, to be refused treatment for life threatening illnesses, to be denied a UK State Pension and even to be deported. Some of them came as children and have effectively spent their whole lives in the UK working, paying National Insurance and tax and contributing to the UK economy. If they try to get documentation now they are asked to provide 4 independent documents proving residence for every single year that they have lived in the UK. Could anybody do that? I'm intensely anal when it comes to keeping documentation, e.g. I have every P60 from my first day at work, but I couldn't provide that level of documentation.

Perhaps going through a process here, now, that only takes a little time and very little cost might prove beneficial at some future date.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:00 am

Yes, Warwick, quite right. Maybe people need to be less blase about what they do need or don't need.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:28 am

The EU Parliament seem to have got quite exercised about it. Thoughts along the lines of: "If they treat people who have lived in the UK for 50 years and have been granted UK citizenship in this appalling manner how can we trust them to honour whatever agreement they make regarding EU citizens?" You can see their point and why the Commission want ECJ oversight to continue indefinitely, at least with regards to those EU citizens rights. They have a point. I've never trusted any UK government of any political persuasion so I can understand why the EU Parliament/Commission don't.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:33 pm

Good job the EU are so trustworthy.

Andrew

Return to “General Discussion & News”