Being pestered by 13888

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
johnincrete

Being pestered by 13888

Postby johnincrete » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:18 pm

I am receiving 5-6 phone calls every day from these pests. If I answer it is someone jabbering away in Greek who instantly shuts up when I speak in English. It is one thing getting calls in the morning but entirely different when I am woken from the afternoon siesta - a much need nap for one who does not sleep well.

Is there anything I can do to stop these calls?

scooby

Re: Being pestered by 13888

Postby scooby » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:42 pm

Yes, Phone 13888 (Cosmote) and ask them to stop :wink:
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:25 pm

You mention elsewhere that you are a client of Cosmote. 13888 is their service number. Have you considered that they might be calling you for a reason, maybe to tell you or ask you something that pertains to your account? Is the fact that they talk in Greek so surprising considering that you live in Greece?
But of course if you have a problem with them call 13888 and ask them what's going on. In my experience it's very easy to get connected to someone talking fluent English at this number and they are generally very polite, helpful and efficient.

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:24 am

After several attempts to get an English speaking person at 13888 (after responding by entering a digit in the opening menu to speak in English), I was asked to supply my phone number (why when I had already said I was using the phone) but then asked for my AFM number. Why, I asked. It's policy, I was told, Rubbish. I asked for another operative. WE will call you back. About 15min later, I got another 13888 call and this time I got an apology and the assurance that I would not be bothered again. Guess what! 3 more calls each wanting to sell me something I did not want that would increase my bill by 9 Euros.

WE shall see!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:24 pm

Asking for your ΑΦΜ is a standard security question when talking to OTE if you are asking them to change something, e.g. change a contract. I would not have expected them to ask for it if you are just asking them to stop cold-calling you but they might.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:45 am

johnincrete wrote:After several attempts to get an English speaking person at 13888 (after responding by entering a digit in the opening menu to speak in English), I was asked to supply my phone number (why when I had already said I was using the phone) but then asked for my AFM number. Why, I asked. It's policy, I was told, Rubbish. I asked for another operative. WE will call you back. About 15min later, I got another 13888 call and this time I got an apology and the assurance that I would not be bothered again. Guess what! 3 more calls each wanting to sell me something I did not want that would increase my bill by 9 Euros.

WE shall see!

Perhaps if you were a bit less obstructive you might get the result you wanted?

Andrew

Clio

Postby Clio » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:14 am

I've twice had occasion to call 13888 in the last couple of days and found them friendly, helpful and quick to answer my call. That has always been my previous experience too.

I don't know, but would imagine, that the cold calls are handled by OTE's sales department and are therefore not in the remit of the helpline people.

Of course cold calls are a flaming nuisance and I also seem to be getting a lot just now - not just from Cosmote but from every Tom Dick and Aris. But to be honest I just regard them as an irritating fact of modern life and just put the phone down as soon as I realise what the call is. I also have some sympathy for the poor sods who have no other means of scratching a living other than pestering consumers.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:42 am

Perhaps it is time that Greece introduced the equivalent of the UK Telephone Preference Service. If you register with that it is illegal for a company to cold call you. Unfortunately companies often outsource their cold calling service abroad and get round the law that way. UK law has no authority outside the UK. I would guess that Greek companies would find that harder to do since I would guess that there aren't that many Greek speakers in India for example.

I usually interrupt cold callers and tell them that I am English and ask if they speak English, all in Greek. That prompts about 90 % to hang up immediately, including all recent 13888 calls. Most calls I get seem to be from Wind trying to get me to switch service to them or Vodafone trying to get me to swap my PAYG mobile service to a contract. A simple "No thanks" seems to do the job.

The solution to the interrupted sleep problem is very simple - unplug the phone or turn it off if it is a mobile.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:46 am

These days, now I'm not involved in the work-a-day world .If I'm involved in a good book or having a snooze ...I unplug the land line ...the mobile lives in the truck and is mostly turned off ...

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:44 am

I spend more time looking for my mobile than I do using it. Using another phone to call it is usually pointless as its default state is "Off".

Return to “General Discussion & News”