Apothiki construction: tax??

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
TrueBlue1

Apothiki construction: tax??

Postby TrueBlue1 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:20 am

We have a small olive grove and soon will make an application to build an apothiki on it. My husband is a non-resident retired builder who will do the work himself. Will he, however, still be required to lodge tax/insurance papers even though he will do all the work himself? And if he does have to pay, does anyone have any idea of what value the authorities will put on the project for tax purposes? We are talking here of the usual apothiki of around 15 sq metres (would like larger for a tractor but the size seems to be linked to the area of land you own. Any comments about this and any aspects of apothiki- building are welcomed! Many thanks.

GlennB

Re: Apothiki construction: tax??

Postby GlennB » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:21 am

I can't help with the tax/NI side of things, but I'd seriously consider enquiring about the need for planning permission. You might end up with an illegal building and have to go through a lengthy and costly legalisation process.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:02 pm

Good advice Glenn. Also, despite building yourself you may find you have to pay EOPPY (aka IKA) some money for the social security payments you would have had to pay a workman! Sounds daft, but that used to be the law. Worth checking that out too. Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:06 pm

bobscott wrote:...you may find you have to pay EOPPY (aka IKA) some money for the social security payments you would have had to pay a workman!...

I think it is now EFKA. EOPPY was the initial consolidation of only the healthcare part of insurance. EFKA now consolidates both pensions and healthcare.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:54 pm

I endorse GlennB's recommendation.I'd go the 'safe' route and make sure whether or not permission is necessary (I'm 99% sure that it will be). If you do need permission them going the legal way will avoid all sorts of problems in future. Without the necessary licence the build we be illegal so there'd be a fine and the cost of legalisation without which your property can't be sold.

As it's a new construction not a restoration or repair I'm pretty sure you will need permission. Discuss the plans with any civil engineer and they'll be able to give an answer. Assuming a licence is required I'd hire a CE to organise the whole procedure. There are regulations not just about the actual building but also how many m² allowance you have, distance from existing building(s) on your plot, distance from neighbours, distance from roads, position of access. What are the earthquake requirements if they apply to the type of building. It can be a nightmare.

CEs, of course will be familiar with the format and details required by the planning office and work out all the tax costs based on approved schedules for different types of work in terms of time needed to complete various jobs, e.g. digging foundations, laying the floor, bricklaying etc., and scheduled IKA rates. E.g. a general labourer will be rated at less than a bricklayer. The higher the skill level required the higher the rate. Even if every part of the job is DIY the work will be rated according to building office tables. Also, of course, they'll know the building inspectors and save you hours getting over minor glitches. The amount of red tape involved probably goes a long way towards explaining why there are so many Civil Engineers here.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:02 pm

Trueblue1 Do your homework on anyone or any advice you and get good recomendations cos being new your fair game to get ripped off and dont just trust someone cos they are British.

TrueBlue1

Postby TrueBlue1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:21 pm

Thanks everyone, yes we already have a CE involved as we definately want to apply for a planning permit: would be such a potential problem later if we go the illegal route. But did wonder if anyone has any idea of how the project is valued for tax purposes as it sounds like we have to pay this even if it is a DIY project. We also expect to have to wait 3-6 months to get our approval through but never mind, we can plant olive trees in the meantime.... at least you don't need a licence to do this....... yet! And water is being out on the land later this week, hurray! :

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:39 pm

TrueBlue1 wrote:...wonder if anyone has any idea of how the project is valued for tax purposes as it sounds like we have to pay this even if it is a DIY project.

So far as I know, unless it's changed, you have to pay the taxes (IKA or whatever it's now called) regardless of who does the work, DIY or otherwise. All the costs should be calculated by your CE as they form part of the documentation required for planning approval.

Electrical work should be done by a Greek qualified electrician unless outbuildings are exempt. When we had a holiday apartment built the electricity schematic had to be drawn up by an electrician and approved by his union before it was presented to the building office. The first thing you need is the building licence without which you can do nothing (at least not legally).

Another added cost might be an increase (hopefully small) in your property tax bill if outbuildings are included.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:06 am

I am always amazed here with the rules and regulations that mean nowt, house wireing is some of the most substandard I have seen in my working life in the building trade you have to have a schematic plan that goes to the union to be approved
and obviously does not get inspected, my house new build was not to bad IE a lot of wires twisted together then taped up/ extractor fan in shower pulling air in not extracting / Live Neg and Earth wire can be any color you like except the correct one's/Just tap in to the dedicated A/C circuit if it is easyer for a few lights and power points/ consumer box that I rewired to make it safer ECT.
And my house is good compared to some I have seen here so rules and regulations are not always what they are seem to be.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:25 pm

I recall about ten years ago I'd rewired parts of my house (to 16th Edition standards). I got a local electrician in to change the downstairs consumer unit for something more modern (ever changed a bottle fuse on a live system? Scary!). He took me to task for not rewiring to Greek standards. He pointed at the 20A double pole immersion switch with neon that I'd brought from UK and chopped into the immersion heater circuit. What's that, he asked? I told him. You don't need that, he said. Just flick it on with the circuit breaker at the board. Yes, quite. :shock:

Tim

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Yes Tim exactly what we have to do exept they did put a red neon next to the 20amp breaker on the consumer unit though so I had to drill a hole in the door to see the neon to remind me it was still on, Ah the breaker bar just the place you want to put your hands when you get out of the shower :idea:

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Brilliant!

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:43 pm

After the work on our house had finished and the kitchen fitter had left, I switched on the electric oven but nothing happened. Checked the fuses. All OK. Called the man back. He checked the fuses. All OK. "Ah," he said, "I remember now ..." as he pulled the oven out from the work surface to reveal the live 30 amp wires. "I forgot to connect it." Oops :oops:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:20 am

If you can get an extra wire from the immersion heater back to the distribution board you can configure it as a one shot circuit to reduce costs. Fit a 20 A relay with a 230V coil in the distribution panel. Wire from the immersion breaker to the relay contact(s) and then from the other relay contact(s) to the immersion heater. Make sure that at the immersion heater end the live wire is connected to the thermostat and neutral to the other end of the heating element. Connect the extra wire to the heating element side of the thermostat and to the control coil of the relay. Connect a momentary action mains switch from live to same end of the control coil as the extra wire from the immersion heater. Connect the other end of the control coil to neutral. When you press the switch it puts current through the control coil and turns the relay on. Assuming the thermostat is closed, i.e. the water is not hot, current then flows back from the thermostat through the coil and holds the relay closed when the switch opens. When the water reaches the set temperature the thermostat opens and breaks the current through the control coil switching the relay off.

The circuit saves you having to remember to turn the immersion heater off. It will not turn on again until the temperature of the water has fallen and the thermostat has closed. The momentary action switch and the extra wire only carry the relay coil current so they don't need to have a high current rating.

Warwick

alistair

Postby alistair » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:08 am

As ever there are so many potential solutions and much probably depends on location.

On our sanctuary we now have 7 stables made with lamarina or wood, as well as a caravan which we now live in, to which we added a lamarina roof and Tentes sides.

But years ago we had police problems when we were accused of having a taverna. The neighbors have a small old traditional house to which they added what looks like an eating place, the police of course thought it must be ours.

I would suggest asking around locally. With local people to gauge the situation.

Alistair

Return to “General Discussion & News”