Damaged telephone socket after electric storm

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
xirosternifellow

Damaged telephone socket after electric storm

Postby xirosternifellow » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:37 pm

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask a question. Two weeks ago we had aa electrical storm the result of which is our phone was burnt and now the telephone socket does not work after buying new phone. My question is one kosmote responsible for replacing the damaged telephone socket? Luckily the modem was not connected. Your reply will be greatly received thanks

Mixos

Re: Damaged telephone socket after electric storm

Postby Mixos » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:01 pm

If that had happened to me I would assume that Cosmote would come and fix it. You don't say where you are on the island, but assuming you are close to a Cosmote office I suggest you get down there tomorrow and explain what happened, and chances are they'll come out and fit you a new socket. They are easily replaced, although the wiring is probably compromised behind the socket so it sounds like a job for a telephone engineer. I suppose you will have to pay for it, but it won't be much and at least you don't have to buy a new modem, or computer, or TV etc etc. Good luck!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:12 pm

From the name I would guess he/she is between Vamos and Kefalas on Apokoronas just east of Chania, Mixos.

In my experience there is a connection between OTE's lines and the house wiring somewhere outside the house. OTE are only responsible up to that connection. Inside the house is your responsibility. You can easily buy a new socket from any electrical supplier, e.g. Kafkas on the old national road out of Chania going towards Kissamos, and fit it yourself. It's not difficult. The circuit only has 48 V on it so you can't really electrocute yourself. If the wiring is damaged then you would probably need an electrician to pull a new cable through.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Our phone line has been zapped by lightening twice ,the first time it fried the mother board in a computer and the phone socket ... we were on dial up internet then.... remember that? The second time it killed a phone and the phone socket was melted ...OTE replaced the phone sockets both times foc..Now if we think thunder storms are coming we un -plug the phone and satellite modem, and I have run a cable to earth to our broadband dish.. ...

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:12 pm

OTE is only responsible for the wiring to your house but not inside your house. I am nit surprised that they replaced your phone sockets free of charge because the OTE engineers can be pretty helpful but they were doing you a favour as they were not obliged to do so.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:23 am

Yeah I have great respect for the OTE guys They are very helpful and have loads more technical knowledge than the sales staff who cold call me and tell me I can have fast cheap broadband from their system ...based on my phone number !...long story ...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:16 am

I'm afraid my experience is more negative. Personally I have never had a problem so I only have indirect experience but three friends in my general area have found them anything but helpful. Typically they came to the outside junction, tested the line and said, "The problem is in the house" and drove away. In one case my friend had another friend waiting at the house who had been a telephone engineer. They had had a repetitive problem so their friend traced the line back down the road and found the problem in one of the OTE boxes that had been left open and filled with water. He grabbed the OTE engineer by the arm, marched him to the box and told him that the problem wasn't in the house it was in their box. They then grudgingly fixed it.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:42 pm

On the very few occasions I've had a problem with a phone line here the OTE engineers have been the personification of helpfulness every time.

xirosternifellow

Postby xirosternifellow » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:21 pm

Hello everyone, thank u all for your kind comments. I went to the electric shop in kalives and bought new phone I plugged it into a spare and different telephone socket and it worked.i bought a telephone socket for five euro and it was very easy to connect, there are two wires one red and one blue which corresponds to two points marked red and blue. All working ok.
I would havet called ote/cosmote if the telephone line was damaged, as it were, I was lucky only one socket was damaged
Many thanks for your help

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:59 pm

filippos wrote:On the very few occasions I've had a problem with a phone line here the OTE engineers have been the personification of helpfulness every time.

I can echo that. A year or two ago there was an unexpected storm that affected Kokkino Horio. No phone or internet! Rang the cosmote number and told them. Engineer called the next day with a new modem under his arm, grinning. Said KH was particularly affected and proceeded to do the necessary techno stuff and within 20 minutes we were re-connected. No charge.

OTE have improved a lot over the years, especially when being told to 'Press 9 for English' only to hear nothing after that but Greek!

Hopefully the days of sheep farmers armed with a pair of pliers and a handset (Satcure - if you reading this) seem to be over. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “General Discussion & News”