Plane spotter arrested near CHQ Airport

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Carolina
Site Admin

Plane spotter arrested near CHQ Airport

Postby Carolina » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:49 pm

YoMo2

Re: Plane spotter arrested near CHQ Airport

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:04 am

Kilkis has been very quiet lately..............

Andrew

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:41 pm

But he lives a goodly distance from Apokoronas and I don't think he owns a camera good enough for serious spying.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:53 pm

filippos wrote: I don't think he owns a camera good enough for serious spying.

But you, on the other hand ..... :wink:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:48 pm

filippos wrote:But he lives a goodly distance from Apokoronas and I don't think he owns a camera good enough for serious spying.

...or ever bothers to take photos of anything.

Tim wrote:...But you, on the other hand ..... :wink:

Funnily enough the same thought crossed my mind but was immediately replaced by, "No. He ain't that stupid".

I can remember the last plane spotting fiasco. In that case they were not taking photos but were recording information on the planes they were looking at such as serial numbers and plane type during an open day at a military airport. The prosecution claimed that there was no such thing as plane spotting. Eventually the perpetrators were released on bail but had to return for a trial. Purely by chance one of them picked up a Greek magazine on plane spotting at Athens airport, containing exactly the same sort of data that they were accused of illegally recording, and the defence presented it as evidence. The case immediately fell apart.

Photos are another matter. Every single military base has no photography signs nearby. That includes the taverna at Kalami Parking overlooking Souda bay. I have seen people steadying themselves against the post holding the sign to take pictures of warships in the bay. I think that is extracting the Uric acid.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:17 pm

Kilkis wrote:
filippos wrote:But he lives a goodly distance from Apokoronas and I don't think he owns a camera good enough for serious spying.
...or ever bothers to take photos of anything.
Tim wrote:...But you, on the other hand ..... :wink:

Funnily enough the same thought crossed my mind but was immediately replaced by, "No. He ain't that stupid".
Photos are another matter. Every single military base has no photography signs nearby. That includes the taverna at Kalami Parking overlooking Souda bay. I have seen people steadying themselves against the post holding the sign to take pictures of warships in the bay. I think that is extracting the Uric acid. Warwick

There's an excellent website,Marinetraffic.com that provides excellent information about all types of shipping movement, worldwide usually with information about the ships; length, tonnage, speed, type, flag etc., photos for all merchant ships and many of the military ones.

The naval vessels are often not identified on the site but if you can get the hull number (painted large on both sides) they can almost always be found on Wikipedia or another shipping site (Warships of the World is good). British ships are fairly easy - just look at the RN bit of the .gov site but things listed as "NATO warship" or without any info are slightly trickier. I can rarely resist the temptation to stroll the 75m between house and beach with the big lens on the camera if something vaguely interesting appears. There's an example here

The authorities do appear to be more tolerant of ships being photographed than they are of aircraft. I've been on the ferry dock taking pictures of ships inside the base area and a few times naval boats tied up at a commercial quay. I did once think I might be arrested when taking photos directly in front of the "No Photography" sign on the wall when a navy police jeep pulled up about 20m away and the two men in it sat and watched. On the basis of sheep, lamb and hanging I carried on and after about two minutes they touched their caps in salute and drove away.

Clio

Postby Clio » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:32 pm

The naval vessels are often not identified on the site but if you can get the hull number (painted large on both sides) they can almost always be found on Wikipedia or another shipping site (Warships of the World is good)
etc etc

I guess this must be a boy thing.....

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:38 pm

:D ... And a bit of a girl thing ...

Lynn
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:45 pm

My late wife used to drool over sailors in dress whites. We once happened to spend a night in La Spetzia when it was the bases coming out parade. She thought she had died and gone to heaven. Didn't give a damn about ships though.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:43 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Have just watched a Virginia Class submarine leave Souda - very sleek!
Someday is now : )

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:19 am

Clio wrote:
The naval vessels are often not identified .............be found on Wikipedia or another shipping site (Warships of the World is good)

Nah, Clio, it's an ancient bloke thing (or a photographer's). I like to know what I've photographed. You can rest easy, though; I've never shot an elderly lady.

Clio

Postby Clio » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:20 am

My late wife used to drool over sailors in dress whites.

Can't see it myself, but each to her own...now if we're talking late 18th/early 19th century naval officers in white breeches, in ships of the line with billowing topsails..I do love a cocked hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMsTxIq3ITc

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:38 pm

Clio wrote:
The naval vessels are often not identified on the site but if you can get the hull number (painted large on both sides) they can almost always be found on Wikipedia or another shipping site (Warships of the World is good)
etc etc

This is the best comment ever on this website. I guess there are doctoral theses written at American universities i’ve never heard of on the psychology of train spotters. I just think they should get a life.

Clio

Postby Clio » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:39 am

I don’t understand it either, Guy, but live and let. We all have our interests, some verging on passions, and to others they may seem esoteric, exotic, or downright bonkers. Now this, I really don’t get.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-4384361 ... tockpilers

Marmite, yes….

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:54 pm

Guy M wrote:
Clio wrote:

This is the best comment ever on this website. I guess there are doctoral theses written at American universities i’ve never heard of on the psychology of train spotters. I just think they should get a life.

Where did train spotters come into this? I know they were encouraged about 15 years ago when some joker put up a Cretan Railways web site complete with timetables for every station along the north Crete line. Quite a few fell for it but.................

P.S. For all I know the site might still be lurking in the shadows of the Internet.

Return to “General Discussion & News”