Car hire in UK

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: Car hire in UK

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:45 pm

I'm all in favour of peer-to-peer. I use it to invest savings and to exchange currency.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:04 pm

Last time I rented in the UK was just before Christmas three years ago and we flew into Heathrow. Of course rental car were a rarity at LHR with several companies claiming to have nothing available. The cheapest I was offered was a BMW 3-series at something over £300 per day. I don't remember exactly but it was between £320 and £350. I turned down this generous offer and went by coach to Bristol bus station, two minutes walk to my hotel. Next a.m. my son drove me to the local branch of Enterprise about whom I'd heard a few moans.

They had nothing in the budget class I wanted but the manager said, "Hell, it's Christmas. That Focus is the next class up but you can have that at the same price." "Does it have satnav?" Said he wasn't sure and sent minion to check (it was raining). "Yes, guv, fully integrated." Normally £10 per day extra it was included in the base price. I was expecting a catch like a Friday vehicle liable to failures but it performed smoothly for the week I had it and started with fewer than 1,000 miles on the clock. On returning the car the manager practically ran round it (it was raining) and declared it clear. Nine days rental would have got me about 1½ days with the Beemer.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:47 pm

As far as I can tell from my last visit to the UK in May, hire car companies are getting a lot of premium cars on their fleet, which they attempt to rent out at high prices. Not surprisingly people are mostly opting for cheaper cars so the hire companies tend to run out of these quite quickly and try to push you onto the premium models. They tried this on me but since I had an already paid for reservation I simply turned down their kind offers and in the end they were forced to give me a modest upgrade at no extra cost. Obviously if you don't have a reservation they can simply charge what they want. I think the biggest free upgrade I ever got was at LHR one Christmas because they had run out of vehicles. Instead of the Fiesta I had booked I got a full leather Rover 620 Automatic.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:31 am

Kilkis wrote:.............Instead of the Fiesta I had booked I got a full leather Rover 620 Automatic.

And you reckon that was an upgrade?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:18 am

It's not a car I would buy, because their reliability was terrible, but it was a very nice car to drive, certainly much nicer than a Fiesta so yes. My ex-boss in northern Greece had one until he binned it after 7 replacement engines.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”