Car hire in UK

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
BST

Re: Car hire in UK

Postby BST » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:41 pm

Usually hire from Sixt at Manchester Airport. They are happy with debit card, UK licence, passport and number from dvla. They said they aren't bothered about proof of address with a British debit card and licence. We always phone their advice line first though to double check!

BST

Postby BST » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:59 pm

Usually hire from Sixt at Manchester Airport. They are happy with debit card, UK licence, passport and number from dvla. They said they aren't bothered about proof of address with a British debit card and licence. We always phone their advice line first though to double check!

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:28 pm

scooby wrote:Andrew, have had a quick look and these firms have no mention of utility bills etc... although I would still take a cc statement but only produce if asked:

https://www.europcar.co.uk/EBE/module/r ... ntal-terms
https://www.hertz.co.uk/p/hertz-togethe ... t-car-hire

Funny one with Hertz (although once again never been asked for additional docs). If you notice they say "Another form of ID such as your current passport or a utility bill, with your name and address shown". that is to say your passport doesn't have your address on, it's just poorly written and they only mean the utility bill if you can't produce passport.

Hope this helps ease your concerns.

Cheers Scooby. Hertz way too expensive for me, but Europcar may work. I did check them, and they were shown as wanting 2 forms of address proof, but that was via a "consolidator" website. Just goes to show you can't trust them either.

Andrew

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:32 pm

BST wrote:Usually hire from Sixt at Manchester Airport. They are happy with debit card, UK licence, passport and number from dvla. They said they aren't bothered about proof of address with a British debit card and licence. We always phone their advice line first though to double check!

Fascinating isn't it? Other rental firms specify they will NOT accept a debit card.......

It's a quagmire. I'm just not keen on planning a trip and then getting the bum's rush at the rental office, and having a row over T&Cs.

I'll try the advice line approach perhaps.

Thanks for all the comments. I think we're just going round in circles now. I'll just have to bite the bullet.

Andrew

peebee

Postby peebee » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:46 pm

Last year I picked up a Sixt hire car at Gatwick, booked through holiday-autos.
I didn't bother with the DVLA check as I thought it had been scrapped.
I produced hire conformation, passport, driving license and credit card, they asked for my NI number (as I didn't have the totally pointless DVLA thing), punched it in the computer - car keys handed over.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:16 pm

YoMo2 wrote:...I'll try the advice line approach perhaps...

That won't give you a copper bottom guarantee. I checked Green Motion advice line before going to the UK with the driving licence renewal paperwork issued by KEP. They said it would be fine. The local office refused to accept it when I arrived. If they hadn't found a photocopy of the licence on their filing system I wouldn't have been given a car.

In my experience it all works faultlessly and smoothly...until it doesn't. Then it doesn't work at all.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:05 pm

YoMo2 wrote:
BST wrote:I'll try the advice line approach perhaps.

Andrew
Play it cool Trig, play it nice and cool know what I mean..
Men in suits will always make you pay.

BST

Postby BST » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:34 pm

The Sixt advice line is Scottish based. I asked the young man for his name and asked if I could contact him if there were any problems, his answer.. No problem, contact me on this number if there's a problem, but there won't be. Debit cards are fine apparently as long as they are for British banks according to Sixt.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:13 pm

Can you still use cash to hire a car in the UK ?...if I ever need to hire a car for a visiting friend here in Crete I always pay in cash and get a good deal.

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:50 am

Jeffstclair wrote:Can you still use cash to hire a car in the UK ?...if I ever need to hire a car for a visiting friend here in Crete I always pay in cash and get a good deal.

Hi Jeff

I'm sure you can hire a car in the UK and pay cash - but I would expect they'd still want to hold your credit/debit card details so that they could raid your accounts should you break any of their many and various rules during the hire period. (I read the Budget T's&C's on a previous link - scary.)

Tim

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:22 am

No you can not pay cash in the UK, credit card only in my expereance over the last 10 years of hireing 3 or 4 times a year mostly Bristol and sometimes Heathrow/ Gatwick and Manchester most times Greenmotion good cars fair service but they will rip you off if they can check the car with a magnifiying glass on pick up and take pics of anything even the smallest mark
especally alloys,they also lock a large deposit on your credit card that can take 2 weeks to be released and never return the car after hours and post the keys through the letter box cos I can guarente there will be a made up excess to pay puncture/scratch/chip or rim ding Oh and look out for the petrol scams enjoy your trip :lol:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:45 am

I've hired dozens of times from Green Motion at Gatwick and never experienced any of these problems. If anything they tend to be a bit relaxed on the petrol, usually marking the form a bit lower than what the gauge is showing. They also tend to point out existing damage.

The only time I experienced a fuel scam was at Bergerac airport in France, where you drop the car a little way from the office without inspection and hand the keys in at the office. I had filled the tank at a station less than 1 km from the airport but they added an additional charge equivalent to an extra 15 litres. I complained by phone to the office at the airport and they claimed that it was not full and would not back down. I then submitted an online complaint to the booking company and got a full refund. When I was discussing this with some friends one said that he had read a report in one of the UK newspapers that this was a common scam across hire companies in France.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:20 pm

After a bad experience with a certain car hire company in the UK and usually all the hassle of waiting around, producing documents etc.. I have finally got round to completing my application to join the easycarclub (there are others also) peer to peer rent a car, pretty straight forward to join (scanning docs and taking a selfie). As I am going to the UK in October thought I would check prices and distance for the nearest car etc.. nearest car(s) 2 miles from airport and after comparing prices with a couple of rental firms the cars in the car club come out more expensive like for like by around 3 quid a day. Having said that, the insurance is fully comprehensive with an excess of 600 quid so half price excess compared and NOT just 3rd party and no going through the motions of the "hard sell" on excess insurance. No waiting around, jump in a taxi (or the owner could possibly meet you) go to the car, meet the owner, show them ID, have a check round vehicle and on your way. Not for everyone but this is the way I shall be renting from now.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:32 pm

I have never come across a rental company in the UK with only 3rd party insurance. They all have Collision Damage Waiver but with an ever increasing excess, e.g. £1,500 now for a pretty cheap car. It is true that they try to sell you their own policy to reduce the excess but they are astronomically expensive. If you intend to simply carry the risk of the excess then I agree that having a smaller excess is a benefit but if you intend to purchase an excess insurance policy from a third party I don't see how it matters how big the excess is?

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:24 pm

Kilkis wrote:I have never come across a rental company in the UK with only 3rd party insurance. They all have Collision Damage Waiver but with an ever increasing excess, e.g. £1,500 now for a pretty cheap car. It is true that they try to sell you their own policy to reduce the excess but they are astronomically expensive. If you intend to simply carry the risk of the excess then I agree that having a smaller excess is a benefit but if you intend to purchase an excess insurance policy from a third party I don't see how it matters how big the excess is?

Warwick
True Warwick, but I will still prefer to go the peer to peer route much more and with easyclub the insurance also covers windows, I think it's just far less hassle to be honest and worth a try, will update once rented.

Return to “General Discussion & News”