dog barking at night

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
toastie

dog barking at night

Postby toastie » Fri May 18, 2018 8:54 pm

every night for the last month a local dog barks constantly all night in the village. its quiet during the day, but as soon as it gets dark it barks all night until dawn.
not too bad this time of year i can close the doors and windows but in the hot months, geez. its gonna be a nightmare.

filippos

Re: dog barking at night

Postby filippos » Fri May 18, 2018 9:55 pm

Believe me, you'll get used to it. When we first arrived we were surrounded by neighbours with (mainly) yappy dogs and a few deep throated ones. They're doing their jobs of alarm raising when non-householders get close. The snag is, many of them include passing cars, cats and pine martens etc., as potential intruders. You will get used to it/them. When we first moved to our present place I used to wake up because it was so bl00*y quiet but I soon got used to that, too.

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Fri May 18, 2018 10:32 pm

Yep, you will get used to it. Took us a few weeks. Bit sad, but it reminds me of the scene in 101 Dalmations where the dogs are passing the message. Some nights you can hear the dogs setting each other off up and down the valley.

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Sat May 19, 2018 9:34 am

a good set of earplugs may help... :D
Dave H

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Sat May 19, 2018 9:42 am

If you haven't noticed already, you will discover that the Greeks have an odd relationship with dogs. They will "own" them but quite happily leave them tied up all day and night, outside their houses, their gardens and in their olive groves. You will rarely see them being taken for a walk -- although that is beginning to happen more often. The dogs will bark incessantly, but the neighbours won't complain. There used to be a yappy dog right below our bedroom window, in somebody else's garden plot, allegedly to "guard" the garden, even though the owner lived in another part of the village and wouldn't hear it barking! There's not a lot you can do about it, really. It's part and parcel of life in Crete!

toastie

Postby toastie » Mon May 21, 2018 8:02 pm

thanks everyone for the reply.
guess ill just have to accept it then as the norm.

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon May 21, 2018 9:39 pm

The randy cats are much, much worse. After many years I'm still surprised (almost) by the volume of noise emitted by a small bundle of fur. But that's life in Crete; there are so many good thinks that compensate handsomely.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon May 21, 2018 9:45 pm

filippos wrote:The randy cats are much, much worse...

...not to mention the frogs.

Warwick

tesshu

Postby tesshu » Wed May 30, 2018 6:24 pm

Solution: only live in tourist areas close to hotels and apartments. It works

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed May 30, 2018 7:00 pm

I think that I would prefer to put up with dogs barking cats yowling and frogs croaking altogether than have to put up with tourists. They are far more irritating.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed May 30, 2018 8:47 pm

tesshu wrote:Solution: only live in tourist areas close to hotels and apartments. It works
We live within 80m of a large hotel and are surrounded by apartments. We don't have much in the way of barking dogs or croaking frogs but there are more than enough yowling cats to counter that shortage. We also have noisy tourists making their way back to the hotel or apartments and a further nuisance. There are tavernas close to the hotel and apartments some of which have "music" nights and despite the rules these frequently continue well into the early hours. Even the hotel itself has a weekly entertainment night which usually involves a fair amount of noise. There was one recent event that started at 23:00 and ended, so I was informed next day, around 03:30.
We've become used to it and sleep well.

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Wed May 30, 2018 10:53 pm

Every night we hear the most beautiful sound: scops owls calling to each other across the valley. It’s very Heaven.

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed May 30, 2018 11:30 pm

Guy M wrote:Every night we hear the most beautiful sound: scops owls calling to each other across the valley. It’s very Heaven.
Yes, we had that when we lived in Tsivaras but we became used to those too, and went to sleep.

Return to “General Discussion & News”