noise

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
trevor thomas

noise

Postby trevor thomas » Sun May 27, 2018 8:39 am

we have a new neighbour that's started making furniture at the villa he rents very close to me and even closer 3meters to the other villa ,the noise of him sanding and planing is very loud. I have told him about this and he said he can make any amount after 01700 up to 2300 hrs is this correct? if not what can i do?

filippos

Re: noise

Postby filippos » Sun May 27, 2018 2:51 pm

Does he sell this furniture or is it for his own use? If it's a commercial enterprise find out if the premises are approved for the purpose and does he have the necessary licence to trade. If he's renting a villa close to others I'd hazard a guess that he's more likely to not have the relevant permissions than to have them. What nationality is he? If he's not Greek it's just possible he is unaware of the need for licensing? As for permitted working hours you could try asking at a KEP office or maybe the local police station. How you proceed could depend on the type of person your new neighbour is. If he's prevented from doing what he wants to do what are the chances of repercussions? Facts will determine what, if any, options you have before embarking on a course of action.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon May 28, 2018 6:51 am

Many years ago in the UK the people in the house adjoining my mother's, who was in her 80s, installed a heavy industrial sewing machine for sewing leather. Family members took it in turns to use it 24 hour per day 7 days per week making various leather goods. The noise drove my mother mad. She complained to the council, to noise abatement and to the police. Nobody could do anything about it. One night my mother cracked and started banging on the adjoining wall with a tin tray. They immediately complained to the police who came, arrested my mother, took her to the police station, where they kept her for the rest of the night and gave her an official caution in writing. Funny old world.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon May 28, 2018 6:04 pm

Warwick, please tell me you made that up..........

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon May 28, 2018 6:19 pm

Nope. It really happened. I knew she had suffered some noise problems and that there had been some sort of incident but it was only going through papers after she died that I found a copy of the official police caution, a letter to one of the newspaper agony aunts, Marjorie Proops I think, asking if she would have a criminal record when the caution expired and an answering letter telling her she would not. Given the circumstances, if I had been her I would have refused to accept the caution and told them to charge and prosecute me or release me.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”