Santander Debit Card

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
bobscott

Santander Debit Card

Postby bobscott » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:47 pm

Remember all the fuss 4 years ago when Santander discontinued renewing Debit cards to expats in Greece? They eventually climbed down and we got new cards. Pleased to say that the replacement for that one has just arrived without any prompting. What happens after BREXIT is still anyone's guess of course and Santander may do what Barclays are doing now (BREXIT -related we think) and withdraw cards from non-UK residents. Spend while we can! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Re: Santander Debit Card

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:16 pm

They didn't climb down for everybody, Bob, some people were still refused. I think those of us who complained to the Chief Exec early were the lucky ones. I switched mine to a UK address, for other reasons, and my new one has just arrived there.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:45 pm

Kilkis wrote:They didn't climb down for everybody, Bob, some people were still refused. I think those of us who complained to the Chief Exec early were the lucky ones..........
I must have been super-lucky, Warwick. My Santander account has been registered to a Greek address since we moved here 16+ years ago. The only problem I've ever had was when they started issuing One-Time-Codes via mobile. Their system didn't (and still doesn't) recognise phone numbers outwith the UK. I resurrected an old UK phone and registered that number and all I need to do is ensure the phone is charged up when making a transaction needing a code. My debit card has been replaced regularly with no prompting from me and the annual statement of interest received has also been delivered automatically.
My account is "paperless" but on a couple of occasions I have been asked by other organisations for an original printed statement showing name and full address for ID reasons. I requested those via the bank's "secure message" system and document(s) have arrived here by normal mail.

P.S. I just hope I'm not tempting providence now.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:39 pm

I bank with Santander and they have my Greek mobile number on their records and send one time codes to it. There doesn't appear to be any consistency does there?
Someday is now : )

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:40 pm

Well I bank with Santander from when it was Abbey National , when I moved here in 2005 I just thought it would continue , My private pension get paid into it and they send me statements here , but they wont issue a card or enable me to change the account into one that pays any interest...Maybe I should kick up more of a fuss ?...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:..Maybe I should kick up more of a fuss ?...

The problem is that every single bank account in the UK and virtually every other UK financial account of any sort states in its terms and conditions that it is only available to UK Residents. We all have access to these accounts as a concession. "Making a fuss" could result in that concession being withdrawn so I would only recommend doing it if you can survive without the account.

When Santander suddenly stopped sending replacement debit cards to Greece a few years ago, because they claimed it wasn't secure, several of us wrote to the Chief Executive of the bank and complained. The issue was resolved by a senior PA to the Chief Exec with many, but not all, of us getting debit cards sent to us. I was prepared to complain on that occasion because I had a second UK account so it would not have been catastrophic for me if they had closed my Santander account. Some time later I believe they resumed sending cards to Greece so anybody who did not need a replacement card during the interval when the ban applied would not have experienced any difficulty.

If it is at all possible I would recommend maintaining at least one UK bank account registered to a UK address, e.g. family or friend.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:41 pm

Yes I think you are right , For some reason my pension company can only pay into a UK bank, so it's better for me to hang on to this account . It will support telephone banking , and online banking and it's registered to my Greek address,and with the correct ID I can get cash in the UK..shame it doesn't pay any interest ...but then who does ?

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:25 am

may do what Barclays are doing now (BREXIT -related we think) and withdraw cards from non-UK residents. Spend while we can!
I'm not sure that is 100 per cent accurate - at least 2/3 years ago, Barclays wrote to say they wouldn't issue a VISA card registered to a Greek address; they needed a UK address only and they stated quite clearly that you didn't have to be resident at said address and/or be the *owner* of the address.

This change by Barclays followed on quite swiftly from their decision to get rid of (probably) millions of customers (worldwide) unless a person had a minimum of one hundred thousand pounds to keep in a current account (paying diddly). I had the devil of a job finding a UK bank but someone recommended Clydesdale/Yorkshire bank and after presenting myself in person at their then HQ in London, I opened an account - I used the same friend's UK address for bank and VISA . Despite contacting Barclays to tell them I couldn't confirm new account until X (because I had to go in person) they snaffled all my funds to a suspense account and then I had to fly through hoops to get it returned. I'm not a fan of banks, Pireaus probably being my least favourite place ever :)

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:50 am

TweetTweet wrote: I'm not a fan of banks, Pireaus probably being my least favourite place ever :)
That's another with which I had nothing other than exemplary service since they took over the remnants of Bank of Cyprus in Greece. They even gave me a credit card.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:56 am

filippos wrote:...They even gave me a credit card.

That's pretty unusual unless you are tax resident.

Warwick
Last edited by Kilkis on Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:56 am

The Rethymnon branches are the pits; the Vamos branch is wonderful and well worth the drive rather than wait (usually about an hour) for so-called service :) I admit to loathing said bank also due to the Samaras connection.

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:58 am

Kilkis wrote:
filippos wrote:
TweetTweet wrote: ...They even gave me a credit card.

That's pretty unusual unless you are tax resident.

Warwick

That reads like they gave me a credit card - I've never asked for one :)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:20 am

Sorry TweetTweet. I had quoted Filippos' post and then edited it incorrectly. My mistake, now corrected.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:21 am

Yin&Yang wrote:I bank with Santander and they have my Greek mobile number on their records and send one time codes to it. There doesn't appear to be any consistency does there?

Same here. Initially I was told it couldn't be done and then magically it was! Bob.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:23 am

[quote="Kilkis"

If it is at all possible I would recommend maintaining at least one UK bank account registered to a UK address, e.g. family or friend.

Warwick[/quote]

How do you get round the UK address problem without utility bills in your name etc? Bob.

Return to “General Discussion & News”