Santander Debit Card

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
GlennB

Re: Santander Debit Card

Postby GlennB » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:49 am

bobscott wrote:
How do you get round the UK address problem without utility bills in your name etc? Bob.

My wife just received a letter re the suspension (soon) of her Barclay's credit card. To avoid that she would need to provide what you describe - not just a UK address but proof that she's resident there.

It's worrying.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:59 am

It is true that if you don't already have an account it may be difficult to open one using a UK address. My comment was more directed to people coming to Greece who have a UK account but intend to close it.

KYC rules seem to apply more to opening new accounts than changing information on an existing account. Personally, I simply changed the address on an account that I had held for about 50 years to my son's address and no questions were asked. If they don't Know Their Customer after 50 years then they have a major problem. I then also changed the registered address with a pension provider to my son's address. Again no questions were asked. When opening new accounts I use banks statements from that account and statements/letters from the pension provider as proof of address. If questioned I simply tell them that I live with my son so none of the utility bills are in my name.

Some time ago I was asked to inform the bank where I was tax resident. I wrote back and told them that I spend part of the year in the UK and part in Greece. I also told them that I have income in the UK and income in Greece so I am liable to be assessed for tax in both countries. Both statements are true. The next time they asked me to verify my tax residency they said that they had me registered as tax resident in both the UK and Greece and if that was correct I didn't need to do anything.

I did think that changing the address with the pension provider had caused me trouble with HMRC because that pension changed from being NT to being taxed in the UK. I eventually found out that it was nothing to do with the change of address. The company administering pension payments had changed and the new company had cocked up the transfer. HMRC thought it was a new pension and did not relate it to the old one. I eventually sorted that out directly with HMRC.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:35 pm

bobscott wrote:
Kilkis wrote:If it is at all possible I would recommend maintaining at least one UK bank account registered to a UK address, e.g. family or friend.
Warwick

How do you get round the UK address problem without utility bills in your name etc? Bob.

We opened a new account with one of the main high street banks a couple of years ago. We went to one bank and were helped by a young adviser. When we said we lived in Greece he said, "I don't think we can open accounts if you're living abroad but I'll check" and departed to ask his manager. On return he was apologetic but, no, we couldn't open a account but, "I'll deny ever saying this, if you can use a relative's or friend's address, go to another bank with your Passports: show those and you won't be asked for proof of address."

Hmmm, that sounded very unlikely but with nothing to lose we went to another main bank next day. ID questions - we produced our Passports (which were copied)..... "and your address?" I reeled off my sister's. Proof of address wasn't even mentioned let alone asked for. The account was opened with £50 cash and a week or so later, back home, we received debit cards forwarded by my sister.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:02 pm

Although FATCA has existed for more than two years I think there have been some changes to requirements that banks must satisfy under the Common Reporting Standard during the last two years. I started getting letters requesting information relating to FATCA and CRS from UK banks in early 2018. I was also asked to provide information to banks that I have accounts with in Greece. I doubt, but don't know for sure, that it would be possible to open a completely new account today without proof of address. I could be wrong.

I recall that you posted some time ago, Filippos, about your experience of opening an account in Switzerland where you also did not need to provide proof of address. I suspect, but again don't know for sure, that it would not be like that today. I think the IRS in America is getting more strict about FATCA and banks outside the USA risk losing access to business in the USA if they don't rigorously apply FTCA rules. They might lose the ability to process payments in US$ anywhere in the world. No bank is going to risk that sort of sanction.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Kilkis wrote:Although FATCA has existed ................
I recall that you posted some time ago, Filippos, about your experience of opening an account in Switzerland where you also did not need to provide proof of address.

Almost two years ago the Swiss bank requested confirmation of where I am resident for tax purposes. They sent a simple form with check boxes and "fill in the blanks" spaces. It took less than 15 minutes, including the stroll to the post office to mail the form back to them. They have still never asked for proof of address. I had something similar from Santander in late 2017 and sent that back. The other bank has not yet made any contact but possibly assume I'm tax resident in the UK as I'm a British citizen with a UK address but they still haven't (yet) requested any proof of address.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:18 pm

Typically what is happening now with existing accounts, because of FATCA and CRS, are requests for confirmation of tax residency possibly with requests for TINs. Most banks seem to say what they believe your tax residency to be and if it is correct you don't need to do anything. I don't think there is any move to request proof of address on existing accounts even if you notify a change of address. I do think, however, that it would be more difficult today to open a new account without proof of address. I have not opened a bank account recently but I have opened other "financial" accounts and in each case I have been asked to provide two documents as proof of address.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:33 am

When we opened the new account the employee of the bank that refused an account told us specifically that only if we produced our Passports would proof of address not be needed. Without the Passports the usual proofs would be required. Until we tried it successfully we were very sceptical, especially as Passports don't show any address. We assumed that the bank was able to get confirmation from the Passport Office but even that doesn't make sense as our Passport renewal applications were processed with the Greek address and, as far as I know there's no requirement to notify the Passport Office of a change of address while the document is current.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:49 am

Veering off topic but on the subject of banks, I had a very upsetting and frustrating experience with Santander about fourteen years ago when I visited my branch to change my surname back to my maiden name, which they already had on their records. I was told that all that was required was my Birth Certificate, my Passport and my divorce papers. When I took them along I was told that this wasn't sufficient and that they required a signed Affidavit from a Solicitor (to revert to my maiden name!). This by the way is long story short because I was repeatedly asked for various forms of ID before I was told to get an Affidavit, which I did and Santander changed the name on my account :|
Someday is now : )

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:15 am

I am advised that one possible solution is to offer to pay a relative's (say) water bill and have your name put down as the payer. Then you can produce a water bill with your name and your relative's (but they don'e know that) address. Mmmmmmmm?
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:39 am

I know someone who has his name on his daughters UK Council Tax bill. He doesn't pay it but his name is on it so he can use it as proof of address. The only problem I see with doing this is that Council Tax bills typically come once per year and proof of address documents usually need to be within the previous 3 months.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”