Museum Fire

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Clio

Museum Fire

Postby Clio » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:47 am

Kilkis

Re: Museum Fire

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:25 am

I presume that's the building at the top of Tzanakaki Street. I thought it had been completely renovated a few years ago? I assumed it was in use as a museum again but the article says all the exhibits were moved to Athens. Very odd.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:00 am

Kilkis wrote:I presume that's the building at the top of Tzanakaki Street. I thought it had been completely renovated a few years ago? I assumed it was in use as a museum again ........
Warwick

Several years ago it seemed the renovations were complete. We went to Xania by bus and got off outside (on our way to the old Bank of Cyprus branch) and were surprised to see the gates open and carrying a brand new Opening Hours sign. We investigated but the building was locked and seemed deserted. A week or so later we passed and the gates were shut and locked; I've never seen them open since.

Clio

Postby Clio » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:18 am

Nice old neo-classical building, as I recall. Great site now for a block of luxury flats or a boutique hotel...Just saying.

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:41 pm

Clio wrote:Nice old neo-classical building, as I recall. Great site now for a block of luxury flats or a boutique hotel...Just saying.

My first thought was very similar but, apparently, it 's owned my the Ministry of Defence and I'm not sure they're 'into' blocks of flats or dinky little hotels.
Local groups and members of the public in Chania are shocked at the loss of the iconic landmark in the centre of Chania and already there are calls for its complete restoration by the town municipality.
Report here

Before anything is done (if anything is) I expect there'll be years of infighting between the Demos and MoD about who pays.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:09 am

While undoubtedly sad the museum fire does pale into insignificance compared to what is happening north east of Athens.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:24 pm

Kilkis wrote:While undoubtedly sad the museum fire does pale into insignificance compared to what is happening north east of Athens.

Warwick

There is a suggestion that the fires were started by criminals intending to ransack abandoned homes. Totally beggars belief if true ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... paign=1490

Tim

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:18 pm

The truly criminal aspect of the tragedy is the failure of successive Greek governments to address properly the issue of summer wildfires in the country. It's a known, annual problem which has been dogged by maladministration, apathy and corruption.

After the 2007 or the 2009 fires - I can't remember which - we discovered that huge amounts of money donated by the EU specifically for fire-prevention measures - for appliances, training, personnel, firebreaks, education, etc etc - had never been used for the purpose and had just 'disappeared'.

Driving today from Chania to Rethymno we saw the horrible fire damage suffered in the Vrisses area - a seven-kilometre stretch of the Ethniki with blackened vegetation on both sides, several small areas still smouldering. In all that distance we saw two fire engines, neitherof them operating. As far as I know that fire hasn't resulted in loss of life, but the unchecked extent of it gives a frightening idea of what they are facing on the mainland.

Some links for the interested:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Greek_forest_fires
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Greek_forest_fires
http://wildfiretoday.com/tag/greece/

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:24 pm

Clio wrote:The truly criminal aspect of the tragedy is the failure of successive Greek governments to address properly the issue of summer wildfires in the country. It's a known, annual problem which has been dogged by maladministration, apathy and corruption.

It's not an excuse, nor necessarily implying an acceptance but the fact is 'This Is Greece'. We don't have to condone it, but as 'visitors' in another country, there is not a lot of direct influence we can exert. The last thing Greeks want is 'foreigners' interfering. Sad. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:25 pm

Seventy-four people now confirmed dead in the fires. Just what exactly does 'Three days of national mourning' involve? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:15 pm

the fact is 'This Is Greece'. We don't have to condone it, but as 'visitors' in another country, there is not a lot of direct influence we can exert. The last thing Greeks want is 'foreigners' interfering.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying, Bob. That as a foreigner here I shouldn't comment adversely on the Greek way of doing things?

It’s a long time since I thought of myself as a visitor to Greece. Visiting is what I do when I go somewhere else. As a permanent resident of some long standing I have my home, my business, my community here. Each year the Greek government takes considerable sums of money from me in taxes. I therefore feel that I have a stake in this country, a financial as well as an emotional one. and that I am entitled to express a view as to how that tax money is spent, or misspent.

Especially when it’s a view shared today by every Greek of my acquaintance and one expressed in the aftermath of each fire tragedy by the Greek Press.

http://www.tovima.gr/en/article/?aid=1007273

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:25 pm

Clio wrote:...Each year the Greek government takes considerable sums of money from me in taxes...

Αμήν σε αυτό.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:22 am

There is a short video at the bottom of this ekathimerini article showing the outbreak of the Mati fire. The rate of spread is terrifying.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”