Storm Clouds.

Temporary Forum - Please keep it CIVIL and ON TOPIC regarding updates/ news / concerns on British living / travelling in the EU.
bobscott

Re: Storm Clouds.

Postby bobscott » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:29 am

'Take back control' is almost as much a mantra as 'I have been perfectly clear'.

Take back control of our laws:
This is from the BBC News June 2016, just before the Referendum.

'According to the House of Commons Library, which itself concedes that there is no completely accurate way to make the calculation, between 1993 and 2014 Parliament passed 945 Acts of which 231 implemented EU obligations of some sort.

It also passed 33,160 Statutory Instruments, 4,283 of which implemented EU obligations. Add both of these together and divide by the total number of laws passed, and you get the 13% figure.'

So we are all getting het up about 13%. Were they good and sensible laws, or did they infringe on our personal lives in an unwelcome way? Who knows?

Take back control of our borders
The sky interview Kilkis refers to shows the fallacies surrounding 'uncontrolled' immigration. The fault, in my book lies in the fact the the Home Office controls the UK Border Force and the Home Office has been shown to be unfit for purpose many times in the last 12 months. They have the power to control immigration, but the system they use is unworkable, allowing many immigrants to stay in the UK well after their entry permits/visas allow.

Take back control of our money
It is pretty obvious to all around that sending £365 million a week to the NHS instead of Brussels is a blatant untruth.

Like one poster put it above, it is and always was a better idea to make change happen from within rather than just throw the teddy out of the cot. Yes, Cameron's effort was a farce, but he was spooked into calling the referendum by UKIP who appeared to be threatening to oust Conservative candidates in many seats. 'This candidate should have tried harder' is my view. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

LittleJohn

Postby LittleJohn » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:26 pm

This is the latest update that I recieved yesterday from Gov.uk. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advice-for- ... =immediate
There is a section regarding Brits living in the EU. Anyone who wants to can sign up for updated emails through the site.

Brian

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:32 pm

Kamisiana, it has to be a windup! particularly your last paragraph. Europe has been free of war for the past seventy three years. The EU has played a major part in this miraculous development. So you wish to jeopardise this union by the voting to leave - shooting yourself in the foot is an apt analogy!
How could anyone be so removed from reality as to vote for a return to the status quo in Europe. There's nowt as queer as folk comes to mind.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:27 pm

No Brian that is how you read it,
I am not saying anything of the sort, the EU in it's present form is not working and Europe has become more divided in the last ten years there a divisions in every countrie including France & Germany.
Take a look at some of Thatchers house of commons speaches on the European Commision from 30/35years ago exactly all the same problems and the very real problem now will be if we decide to stay in the club it will be on EU terms and the first one will be ditch your british pound.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:37 pm

LittleJohn wrote:This is the latest update that I recieved yesterday from Gov.uk. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advice-for- ... =immediate
There is a section regarding Brits living in the EU. Anyone who wants to can sign up for updated emails through the site.

Same old,same old! Can't see anything here which specifically refers to Greece, and even if it did, it wouldn't be worth the type-space on the web. We are constantly being told, 'nothing is agreed until it is all agreed'. At the rate things are going, all will not be agreed, so as far as that goes, nothing will be agreed! If you get my drift. We just have to hang in there! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:38 pm

Kamisiana wrote:... if we decide to stay in the club it will be on EU terms and the first one will be ditch your british pound.

Both the UK and Denmark have a derogation allowing them NOT to adopt the Euro so that is not true, Kamisiana. That has no expiry date. All other member states are committed to joining the Euro once their economies satisfy the criteria. It is true that if the UK decided to go back into the EU after leaving then the concessions that have been granted to the UK so far would not necessarily apply.

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:35 pm

I have not posted on here, (or visited the site), for a long time. A couple of weeks ago I ‘popped in’ to see what was happening. I was not going to bother/to post, but having read this thread I just felt I had to make a point.

Once people make up their mind about something, it is hard to change it. Firstly they believe what they want to believe. Secondly, even if statistics show they are incorrect, it tends to make people ‘dig in’ to their original decision even more! It is why a thread like this one will never result in changing peoples views.

As for expats voting for Brexit......I am flabbergasted! How can anyone vote against Britain being in the EU when they choose to live abroad? If the M20 becomes a ‘lorry park,’ if there is a shortage of medicines and food, if there is a shortage of labour etc they will be totally unaffected by this. I realise the argument would be that pensioners who have retired abroad feel they are still British....but that is not the point. - If you don’t live in the U.K., and if you are going to be unaffected by any problems that might arise from Brexit here in the U.K. then voting for it seems wrong.

We will be affected by it more than most. We share our time between Greece/Europe and the U.K. If the 90 day rule comes back in to force it will limit the time we can spend in Greece. I am sure we are not the only people on here in that situation. Everything is so uncertain for now.

One thing that will affect everyone is the value of the £ against the Euro. I am sure many retirees will notice the difference if the £ dips again when Brexit takes place.

Phild

Postby Phild » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:23 pm

Maud wrote:I am sure many retirees will notice the difference if the £ dips again when Brexit takes place.

...there will be no "if" about it.

You mean "when"

:D
----
Phil
----

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:52 pm

A
Phild wrote:
Maud wrote:I am sure many retirees will notice the difference if the £ dips again when Brexit takes place.

...there will be no "if" about it.

You mean "when"

:D

And when state pensions are frozen ....

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:22 pm

I wrote ‘when’ to begin with Phild.....but edited it to ‘if’ as I was sure there would be people here who would accuse me of scaremongering!

You are quite correct about pensions Jeffstclair. Even if there is a ‘deal’ there are going to be a lot of poorer people around! It is all well and good for politicians like Rees-Mogg to say there will be 10 difficult years, then things will get better. (In fact he is now saying it will take 50 years!). There are lots of people who cannot cope with being worse off for 10 years.

On top of that, Rees-Mogg has moved his business to Ireland.....to ensure it won’t take a ‘hit’ from not being in the EU. In actual fact he will be better off financially if Brexit occurs! I would like to know why he is doing that, if he genuinely believes people in the U.K. will not suffer when Brexit happens? How can people believe a politician who is a leading Brexiteer if he does such a thing? I am seriously worried as to what the future holds for the U.K.

Brian

Postby Brian » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:37 am

For more years than I care to remember 'Paddy the Irish Man ' was the fall guy in all those Paddy Irish Man, Paddy the Englishman and Paddy the Scotsman jokes. But, at last redemption is at hand in the shape of Brexit voting Paddy the English man. No matter how foolish Irish paddy was portrayed in the past nothing could surpass lhe latest fall guy in the triumvirate. Anyone in his right mind who voted for Brexit is surely entitled to the title Top Clown.

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:29 am

Brian said:

Europe has been free of war for the past seventy three years. The EU has played a major part in this miraculous development. So you wish to jeopardise this union by the voting to leave

So e.g. no war in Serbia, Bosnia, Kosova ?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:44 am

I think your examples are sort of supporting Brian's statement, TweetTweet?. It might have been better if Brian had written "in the EU" rather than "in Europe" but the only countries in Europe where there have been wars are NOT in the EU. While not conclusive it does tend to support the view that the EU has contributed to peace in Europe. They can't really be expected to influence peace in countries that are not members can they?

Warwick

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:51 am

(Sorry) I didn't make any distinction between Europe EU - I was referring to the physical land mass that is Europe.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:08 am

Sky News are running a report today about the concerns of UK ex-pats living in the EU. A couple of interesting facts emerge from it:

1 About 80 % of the UK ex-pats living in the EU are working there. About 20 % are retired. That is very different from my own experience and what I believed to be the case. I suspect a bigger proportion are retirees in Crete than in other EU countries.
    2 British in Europe, an umbrella organisation trying to represent UK citizens rights under Brexit, had managed to have meetings with the Commission, including Barnier, but nobody from the UK government has been prepared to meet them to discuss concerns.

Another organisation, more EU wide, representing citizens rights under Brexit is ECREU. Both groups may have information that is useful to concerned members of the forum. It's possible that these web sites may have been linked before in other threads but I couldn't remember so I thought I would link them again.

Warwick

Return to “Brexit and Living in Greece”